Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Depending on when he is ready I could see him coming on in games and Watkins pushing out wide.  Like on Saturday but Wesley instead of Davis. 

Not for me. Wesley never once looked capable of getting into the box like a striker should. He was always too late.

He fell over at the slightest contact, had great passing ability, good vision, decent finishing, but just isn't a striker IMO.  Replacing Watkins with him would be utter lunacy.

People dislike Davis, but at least Davis likes a fight worthy a targetman and is very direct when given the chance. Wesley is anything but.

Personally I only see him as a backup choice as a striker or perhaps in Barkleys position where he could use his skillset better.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Not for me. Wesley never once looked capable of getting into the box like a striker should. He was always too late.

He fell over at the slightest contact, had great passing ability, good vision, decent finishing, but just isn't a striker IMO.  Replacing Watkins with him would be utter lunacy.

People dislike Davis, but at least Davis likes a fight worthy a targetman and is very direct when given the chance. Wesley is anything but.

Personally I only see him as a backup choice as a striker or perhaps in Barkleys position where he could use his skillset better.

He wouldn’t have to be an out and out striker. The front 3 need to interchange more. Goals shouldn’t just come from Ollie. I know we’re miles behind how City play but they’ve used numerous players in the middle of the front 3 including even KDB who would still drop deep to collect the ball.  Liverpool also played Firminiho in that role during their success with the bulk of the goals coming from the 2 wide forwards. 

We probably haven’t got the luxury to play without a ‘target man’ just yet but as we approve is that kind of player always needed?

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

He wouldn’t have to be an out and out striker. The front 3 need to interchange more. Goals shouldn’t just come from Ollie. I know we’re miles behind how City play but they’ve used numerous players in the middle of the front 3 including even KDB who would still drop deep to collect the ball.  Liverpool also played Firminiho in that role during their success with the bulk of the goals coming from the 2 wide forwards. 

We probably haven’t got the luxury to play without a ‘target man’ just yet but as we approve is that kind of player always needed?

Oh I agree. Our midfield is essential for us to get goals, but my point is just that we need a striker that are mobile enough to get in the box. I just don't think that's Wesley.

Be good to see what he can do.

If he fails we could still keep into next season and just buy another striker in the summer. I just think he may not show impact the rest of this season but at least if we buy another decent striker we can take our time with Wesley abit more and make a decision next season..

More than anything, I think Wes coming back to fitness might allow some interesting changes to formation, perhaps enabling us to go 4,4,2 periodically. 

I appreciate this would make us even lighter in the middle, but against teams exploiting our fullbacks (namely the right side with cash out) it would allow us to sit our wingers a bit deeper to better protect them. I’m thinking when Traore struggles to subdue his attacking instinct.

36 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Firmino plays well deep alot of the time, almost like a false 9. I think that would suit Wes’s skill set pretty well. Many of the videos I saw of him before he signed for us showed him dropping deep.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

More than anything, I think Wes coming back to fitness might allow some interesting changes to formation, perhaps enabling us to go 4,4,2 periodically. 

I appreciate this would make us even lighter in the middle, but against teams exploiting our fullbacks (namely the right side with cash out) it would allow us to sit our wingers a bit deeper to better protect them. I’m thinking when Traore struggles to subdue his attacking instinct.

Or maybe a 4-3-2-1 or 4-3-1-2 formation.  

The old Christmas tree formation, leaves us a bit narrow but the 4-3 combo stays currently is and the 1-2 or 2-1 is Jack and then Wes drops or plays up top with Ollie.  

Jack could float across the front as he sees fit, Wes can drop when needed and stay up top when needed.  

Also means if Ollie drifts out wide to get into play as he sometimes does then we can still have Wes in the box and vice versa when Wes drops deep.

I’m not for or against this approach but thinking it through

• Like 2

Wesley seems to be almost fully-fit as he is involved in the latest training montage the club have released.

I'd imagine he isn't too far off.

Wonder if there have been any 'behind doors' friendlies and whether, like Heaton he'll be involved in PL2 matches first?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Wesley seems to be almost fully-fit as he is involved in the latest training montage the club have released.

Wonder if there have been any 'behind doors' friendlies and whether, like Heaton he'll be involved in PL2 matches first?

Yeah Dean said he’ll be involved in PL2 games in the near future.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Yup, he also posted to say that it easy good to be back on training with the lads. Contact, first team training, must mean he is very close to game time, even if that is off the bench in a non competitive environment. Cant wait to see what he has to offer. Expectations are low, but it's definitely an unknown and if things go well, he could end up being the answer to our plan b problems.

Keep it up Wes, and fingers crossed for no more set backs!

• Like 1

Even half fit, he has to be a better option than Davis. 

Hopefully he can give us a bit of a boost off the bench in a few games. Be great if he could get a goal or two and really contribute ready to push on next season.

Don't understand the semi-regular suggestions of him playing as a 10 at all. There's no evidence of him ever having played as an attacking midfielder before nor does he really have the attributes for it. Sure he's performed the second striker role previously but there's a sizable difference in being a link man up front that can drop deep to allow runners beyond him and actually starting and playing in midfield.

Delighted for him that he's back on the grass anyway. Still a long way for him to go but I have faith that if he can get back to the level he was at he'll not only look better with a more functioning team around him but he'll have better scope to improve because of it. Seems a likeable fella too so I'd love for him to make a success of himself even when taking my Villa hat off.

Â