Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

With a lot of mentions of playing 4-2-3-1, what would people say to Wesley playing as the CAM behind the striker and the wingers either side? It’d put him behind the striker where he played before joining us and he does have a tendency to come a little deeper for the ball.

36 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

With a lot of mentions of playing 4-2-3-1, what would people say to Wesley playing as the CAM behind the striker and the wingers either side? It’d put him behind the striker where he played before joining us and he does have a tendency to come a little deeper for the ball.

Depends on the game, I think even Grealish would be a risk to play there against top teams. We might do when we’re planning to attack and press. Or if we’re playing 532.

6 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Becoming a Villa legend doesn't mean one has to be one of the best players in Europe. JPA is considered a legend by some but he was hardly one of the best in Europe. 

I agree. Like Tonev is somewhat of a Villa legend too.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

I think some people need to realise that is a lot more footballers in the world than at Brentford 😂

Not ruling signing from them but we shouldnt be giving them 50/60 million ever for a couple of players

I know what you mean but this is the sort of attitude Utd fans have in thinking they should get Grealish for £40m. There's a premium on their players because they're good :lol:

You pay what the market dictates. And the market is ****.

Are there better players out there than Watkins for £25m? God, yes. But there's risk taken out of that particular deal with him being English, knowing the manager and knowing the system already.

He can also play the two positions we currently have absolutely no one good enough for Premier League football. Brentford being the smart alecs they are, I expect they know this and are asking for even more as such.

I'm much more up for Watkins than Benrahma in our current situation. Wouldn't grumble at £25/30m, not my money. The Wes thread has taught me £20m isn't much for a PL player anymore.

• Like 1

Wesley is definitely not an attacking midfielder, certainly not in the Premier League anyway.

He could play as a support striker in a 4-4-2 or 3-5-2, but that would be the traditional kind of support striker who is still pushing on the centre backs and playing his partner through with flick ons.

I think he has potential and the right mentality. His athleticism is a natural gift that will continue to improve, and he will be a nightmare for defenders when he learns how to manage referees better. There is something there, it will just take time to develop, and will develop better without everyone depending on him for 15-20 goals in a season.

Stick a quicker, more agile striker in that squad, and suddenly having the Wesley option looks quite useful - a battering ram who can change things up against certain teams.

The thing that makes me think he will succeed is he has that calmness in front of goal. It's a rare quality, and some very technically and physically limited players have built careers around it. He backs himself to tuck the ball away.

Do we need to sign more quality up front? 100%. But I firmly believe Wesley can still be a useful part of the setup.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I can see him eventually replicating his form from Belgium if the stars align post-injury, but I don't think a Benteke style explosion is on the cards. 

If we could get 10 to 12 goals out of him a season I would be over the moon

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Guys I'm a huge advocate and defender of Wesleys.

However, the folks predicting he is going to be a "legend" or "the best striker in Europe" etc make us all look a bit stupid 🤣.

Keep it logical and tempered ffs  lol

So are you saying there’s no chance he can ever become prime minister? 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Wesley is definitely not an attacking midfielder, certainly not in the Premier League anyway.

He could play as a support striker in a 4-4-2 or 3-5-2, but that would be the traditional kind of support striker who is still pushing on the centre backs and playing his partner through with flick ons.

I think he has potential and the right mentality. His athleticism is a natural gift that will continue to improve, and he will be a nightmare for defenders when he learns how to manage referees better. There is something there, it will just take time to develop, and will develop better without everyone depending on him for 15-20 goals in a season.

Stick a quicker, more agile striker in that squad, and suddenly having the Wesley option looks quite useful - a battering ram who can change things up against certain teams.

The thing that makes me think he will succeed is he has that calmness in front of goal. It's a rare quality, and some very technically and physically limited players have built careers around it. He backs himself to tuck the ball away.

Do we need to sign more quality up front? 100%. But I firmly believe Wesley can still be a useful part of the setup.

I completely disagree with this, in fact I'd say a CAM is exactly what he is. Just on a very low level. 

He's fairly capable of attributes like passing, vision, off ball. But he completely lacks fundamental striker qualities like directness, pace, acceleration, urgency, heading, shooting. 

He looks far more comfortable orchestrating a goal than scoring it. 

• Like 1

Â