Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

I’m looking forward to seeing a fully fit Wesley next season. I, like many, was a big critic of him pre-Christmas 2019. The injury was a big blow. He deserves the chance to return to the team, to see if he can make the same sort of improvement as his compatriot Douglas Luiz achieved. 

• Like 3

No way should Wesley be sold for £13million. In fact I'm confident that he will become a villa legend. I base this on actually watching the games and seeing what he is about. It was his movement which allows McGinn to score against spurs. He drags defenders around with him. He has had at least 7 good games. Of course he had a few bad ones too.

A lot of our goals he was involved in the build up and he assisted the assist in a fair few instances. Also he started the game at the age of 15!! This means he has missed out on a lot of childhood development. 

It's funny how Wesley isn't afforded the time to settle down and get used to the premier League yet the very same fans wanted Dean Smith to be given time. 

With our recent coaching and recruitment appointments I'd rather not sell anyone who contributed to the team last season except for the likes of Lansbury, Kalinic etc. Otherwise we're back to bringing in 9/10 players again. 

It's next summer we should look at any potential opportunities for offloading. If Wesley struggles to recover from his injury then maybe we could cut our losses. Not until he is given an opportunity to prove his fitness and ability.

Scandalous.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

No way should Wesley be sold for £13million. In fact I'm confident that he will become a villa legend. I base this on actually watching the games and seeing what he is about. It was his movement which allows McGinn to score against spurs. He drags defenders around with him. He has had at least 7 good games. Of course he had a few bad ones too.

A lot of our goals he was involved in the build up and he assisted the assist in a fair few instances. Also he started the game at the age of 15!! This means he has missed out on a lot of childhood development. 

It's funny how Wesley isn't afforded the time to settle down and get used to the premier League yet the very same fans wanted Dean Smith to be given time. 

With our recent coaching and recruitment appointments I'd rather not sell anyone who contributed to the team last season except for the likes of Lansbury, Kalinic etc. Otherwise we're back to bringing in 9/10 players again. 

It's next summer we should look at any potential opportunities for offloading. If Wesley struggles to recover from his injury then maybe we could cut our losses. Not until he is given an opportunity to prove his fitness and ability.

Scandalous.

Also worth noting that he was 22 at the start of last season.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

He didn't speak English fluently. It was stilted and a preprepared interview done by a villa interviewer. He almost certainly was not fluent at the time. 

How do you think he communicated in belgium ? You think he learned flemish ? Or you think he learned English ?, a language far more commonly used to communicate. 

1 minute ago, brummybloke said:

How do you think he communicated in belgium ? You think he learned flemish ? Or you think he learned English ?, a language far more commonly used to communicate. 

French or German? Probably more likely. Probably French as it is a Latin language like Portuguese and is therefore much easier for him to learn as it is more similar. 

8 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

French or German? Probably more likely. Probably French as it is a Latin language like Portuguese and is therefore much easier for him to learn as it is more similar. 

Nope it was English.

There was a huge offer from a club in China in January and Cardiff were also keen, but Wesley stayed put and got his reward when Villa paid £22m for him this summer. The English lessons that Wesley started in Brugge have come in handy already but the big question is how the boy who had to grow up so fast in Brazil will adapt on the pitch.

Edited by brummybloke
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

He didn't speak English fluently. It was stilted and a preprepared interview done by a villa interviewer. He almost certainly was not fluent at the time. 

Maybe you didn't see the link above. This is from back in September (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYaN7pHrO7w&list=PLJdyosTCLVrL-cKyhbqrS1nhBdURjf5NP&index=17&t=0s.

I think his English is fine.

5 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Maybe you didn't see the link above. This is from back in September (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYaN7pHrO7w&list=PLJdyosTCLVrL-cKyhbqrS1nhBdURjf5NP&index=17&t=0s.

I think his English is fine.

It’s better than Rooney’s. 

It’s not just the language though, he’s had to adapt to a new country and a brand new team in a league that’s much harder than he’s ever experienced. He was showing signs of being a real threat for us, defenders didn’t like playing against him. I’m confident that he will get better, I just hope the injury hasn’t set him back too far. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

If Hutton can play for Scotland then there’s no reason why Wesley can’t play for England. 

Since only played 4 minutes in an exhibition game he might still be eligible? :D 

1 minute ago, It's Your Round said:

I’m sure once he’s been for a few beers with Prince William, there’ll be no problems with it. 

A pitcher or 2 of Caipirinha should do the trick

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Scandalous.

Will Ferrell Lol GIF

16 hours ago, villan-scott said:

I’m not sure the owners would see it that way. Can’t see them happily writing off a 10m loss on an asset in 12 months. 

Wes will be here next season. 

As a hedge fund manager Wes is fully aware of the need to cut your losses rigorously. It's not about Wes really, it's about needing better than Wes.

6 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

What accountants? Got a link for it? 

I’m not sure what you are asking here or if you don’t understand the point. A link to what? A finance course? We paid £22m for him. The depreciation on that is amortised over his contract on an annual basis. He has a five-year contract. Therefore from an accounting perspective he’s worth £22m-£4.4m=£17.6m. 

I think you’re probably making a joke but I don’t get it! So apologies for that :)

Edited by Adam2003

3 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Scandalous.

I actually like a lot of your post. But the bit in bold was all you'd ever hear from those who were convinced Scott Hogan was a great forward. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I’m not sure what you are asking here or if you don’t understand the point. A link to what? A finance course? We paid £22m for him. The depreciation on that is amortised over his contract on an annual basis. He has a five-year contract. Therefore from an accounting perspective he’s worth £22m-£4.4m=£17.6m. 

I think you’re probably making a joke but I don’t get it! So apologies for that :)

No joke. I get what you're saying, just misunderstood your first point. 

I don't understand that part of accounting mind. A tangible asset's value to me is not anchored in the price you pay, but the market. 

Â