Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

Just now, KenjiOgiwara said:

No joke. I get what you're saying, just misunderstood your first point. 

I don't understand that part of accounting mind. A tangible asset's value to me is not anchored in the price you pay, but the market. 

Oh I totally agree it’s a stupid way of doing it, it just is how it is done. Completely agree with you on how I see a tangible asset - just not how FFP sees it. And let’s be clear I’m not saying we should make all our decisions based on FFP, there might be times it’s definitely right to take a loss etc. But we won’t lose millions on Wesley this summer when it’s “cheaper” to keep him I don’t think.

20 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I actually like a lot of your post. But the bit in bold was all you'd ever hear from those who were convinced Scott Hogan was a great forward. 

Don't get me wrong Wesley needs to improve. However his game in Belgium and from what I've seen of him for us he is more of a second striker. False 9 call it what anyone wants. He needs fast pacy players around him to be more effective.

An issue that will be resolved with coaching and mentoring is the way he uses his strength. I think he gets frustrated with giving fouls away when he feels that it wasn't a foul. So he throws himself in the hope of getting a free kick. 

Last season the whole side was unbalanced. I am however confident with quicker intelligent players around him he will be a success. I still believe he would have got to 12 / 13 league goals had he not got injured with around 6/7 assists. Just dismissing players or management as shit is not my way.

I like to provide reasoning why I defend or criticise players or managers. AEG I defended however if he is sold I won't be disappointed. I believe that with a few more coaches and recruitment bod's coming in AEG can improve too. His issues are purely psychological not technical in the slightest.

Hogan was someone who ran into places where the game wasn't and wasn't going to be lol.

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 1

Just now, Sulberto21 said:

Don't get me wrong Wesley needs to improve. However his game in Belgium and from what I've seen of him for us he is more of a second striker. False 9 call it what anyone wants. He needs fast pacy players around him to be more effective. 

Then we really f***ed up last summer.

Dean Smith plays 4-3-3 with a traditional number 9.

48 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Guys I'm a huge advocate and defender of Wesleys.

However, the folks predicting he is going to be a "legend" or "the best striker in Europe" etc make us all look a bit stupid 🤣.

Keep it logical and tempered ffs  lol

words of wisdom once again JV

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Guys I'm a huge advocate and defender of Wesleys.

However, the folks predicting he is going to be a "legend" or "the best striker in Europe" etc make us all look a bit stupid 🤣.

Keep it logical and tempered ffs  lol

Becoming a Villa legend doesn't mean one has to be one of the best players in Europe. JPA is considered a legend by some but he was hardly one of the best in Europe. 

52 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Becoming a Villa legend doesn't mean one has to be one of the best players in Europe. JPA is considered a legend by some but he was hardly one of the best in Europe. 

I was actually commenting on different individual.comments I have seen made.

Just as I think it's ridiculous to write him off or sell him, I also think it's ridiculous to make dramatic predictions which nullify a more sensible approach.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

To be honest I liked JPA but he only had one good season, rest of the time he was average.!

• Like 1

why would we sell him for 10m less than what we paid? He isn't a flop (not yet at least), the injury and coming back from it is a concern, so it could stomach a 2 or 3m loss but personally I see untapped potential in him.

This rumour about other clubs wanting him for below what we paid, is just nonsense. Whoever started it does not understand the first thing about what has happened at Villa and who is now running the show. IF someone wanted Wes, NSWE will not take a hit, far from it, they would be looking for a profit. He is going nowhere. 

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

Oh I totally agree it’s a stupid way of doing it, it just is how it is done. Completely agree with you on how I see a tangible asset - just not how FFP sees it. And let’s be clear I’m not saying we should make all our decisions based on FFP, there might be times it’s definitely right to take a loss etc. But we won’t lose millions on Wesley this summer when it’s “cheaper” to keep him I don’t think.

It’s not stupid, it makes sense. If a company buys an asset the value of that asset is estimated as the cost the company paid for it minus depreciation over time (usually that means wear and tear).

In the case of a player the contract is only for a certain number of years so the value of the asset will go to zero if the contract runs out. Hence its value to the club deprecates year on year, the closer the player gets to the end of their contract. Hence accountants book the asset value as the cost price divided by the proportion of the contract remaining. 

Clearly this is only an estimate done by an accountant, the ‘true value’ is whatever the market will pay, but that cannot be known with any certainty until the sale is realised (There might be a rumour that Lazio are bidding 10m but if the sale were to happen perhaps another bidder comes in with a totally different offer, how could an accountant account for that?). Hence the above method is used to value the company’s assets.

19 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

It’s not stupid, it makes sense. If a company buys an asset the value of that asset is estimated as the cost the company paid for it minus depreciation over time (usually that means wear and tear).

In the case of a player the contract is only for a certain number of years so the value of the asset will go to zero if the contract runs out. Hence its value to the club deprecates year on year, the closer the player gets to the end of their contract. Hence accountants book the asset value as the cost price divided by the proportion of the contract remaining. 

Clearly this is only an estimate done by an accountant, the ‘true value’ is whatever the market will pay, but that cannot be known with any certainty until the sale is realised (There might be a rumour that Lazio are bidding 10m but if the sale were to happen perhaps another bidder comes in with a totally different offer, how could an accountant account for that?). Hence the above method is used to value the company’s assets.

It makes perfect sense with a laptop. It makes less sense with a player to my mind. Because players can appreciate or depreciate in value. But I’m not trying to argue with the system or failing to understand why it as you say above (and as I explain in my earlier posts) I was just explaining it to people. And I don’t have another suggestion for how it could be done differently, so accounting practices it is.

Edited by Adam2003

how about:

Watkins, Benrahma & Henry - 55m (ish)

Buendia or Edouard - 30m/35m

DM/MC - 30m (or 2 x c.15m MC's)

GK - Loan (just in case Heaton isnt ready for new season)

Total spend - 115m/120m

Edited by MaVilla

16 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

how about:

Total spend - 115m/120m

A lot of money to spend to assemble a championship team again.

Proven. PL. Players.

19 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

how about:

Total spend - 115m/120m

I would be more inclined to get in that Scottish Young left back for 2 million as an understudy for targett.

Targett picks up knocks and regularly misses 5 to 10 games so their is real opportunity for that player to gain Premier league experience.

Would be happy at 40 mill plus add ons for the watkins and benrahma,  the pair totalling 50 million if they play a certain amount or score a certain amount.

Eduardo I would be happy with 25 to 30 mill plus add ons again if he plays and scores x amount of times.

Would still require a left sided cm player like CH but better and possibly another right footed cb if engels doesn't play for us again.

Edited by brummybloke

I think some people need to realise that is a lot more footballers in the world than at Brentford 😂

Not ruling signing from them but we shouldnt be giving them 50/60 million ever for a couple of players

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Â