Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

2 hours ago, Elton said:

Smith regularly says it, the way we play his role is to occupy the CB’s and allow more time and space for the midfield/wide forwards and you cannot say it hasn’t worked as only the top 5 have scored more than us this season. I’m not saying Wesley is playing great but he is doing fine for me and hopefully will only improve too.

Yep. I think the last two games all the players are getting what Smith wants, Trez and Anwar were both more of a threat as they were running into the space that Wesley has created. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think that’s the problem. An out and out scorer could take us to another level. It’s not a fault of Wesleys. He has to play because there is no alternative and he is doing his best.

I’m excited to see who we buy in January.

The thing is, I'm sure the coaching staff and scouting team were aware of the type of player he is before they brought him to be our main striker. You can only conclude that they feel our game can benefit more from that kind of striker.

It's not like Dean didn't work with Tammy Abraham last season and doesn't know what a player like him would bring to the team. If he felt we needed that type of player I'm sure he would have signed one. The fact that we're scoring so freely would also point to this.

• Like 2

Just like Bacuna was not a footballer, Wesley is not a striker. Well, at least he's not a goal-scorer. And he never will be. He doesn't have the instinct or the vision or whatever - always late, and often not even moving when a cross comes in... I don't know what he is, but I do know he is absolute shite. Get rid (after getting someone decent in).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, AVTuco said:

Just like Bacuna was not a footballer, Wesley is not a striker. Well, at least he's not a goal-scorer. And he never will be. He doesn't have the instinct or the vision or whatever - always late, and often not even moving when a cross comes in... I don't know what he is, but I do know he is absolute shite. Get rid (after getting someone decent in).

seriously, thats one of the most hyperbolic posts i have seen in a long time......

Yes he didnt score, but even the manure fans have said numerous time "Wesley did a job on us tonight".

the manure fans probably wouldnt give such praise if it wasnt deserved.........

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

The thing is, I'm sure the coaching staff and scouting team were aware of the type of player he is before they brought him to be our main striker. You can only conclude that they feel our game can benefit more from that kind of striker.

It's not like Dean didn't work with Tammy Abraham last season and doesn't know what a player like him would bring to the team. If he felt we needed that type of player I'm sure he would have signed one. The fact that we're scoring so freely would also point to this.

True but I reckon we did try to sign other strikers but didn’t land our targets. The plan must have been to provide competition for Wesley. Similar to how we signed 4 centre halves all to compete with each other. 

Now with the injury to Davis there is a hell of a lot of pressure on Wesley who is still adapting to the league.  

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

seriously, thats one of the most hyperbolic posts i have seen in a long time......

Yes he didnt score, but even the manure fans have said numerous time "Wesley did a job on us tonight".

Every game I see him makes me more convinced. Today's game was not any worse than before.

34 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

True but I reckon we did try to sign other strikers but didn’t land our targets. The plan must have been to provide competition for Wesley. Similar to how we signed 4 centre halves all to compete with each other. 

Now with the injury to Davis there is a hell of a lot of pressure on Wesley who is still adapting to the league.  

I agree with this. I think we were really trying for Maupay, which just didn't come off. Kodjia getting injured early also didn't help.

58 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

You got a link to that? I read through a 50 page match thread on their forums and the only mention of wesley was his assist for their goal. 

Conor had one of his outings where he was pretty much invisible for most of the game.  You know the type of game that used to get him roasted on here back when we were in the Championship but now no one seems to notice.  Now it seems the boo birds have eyes for only one player. 

Wes had an average game.  That is pretty much the consensus on all of the match rating sites out there.  Yet some can't wait to rush on here to bash our own players.  I'm not calling those posters trolls just saying that it's definitely troll-like behavior.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Conor had one of his outings where he was pretty much invisible for most of the game.  You know the type of game that used to get him roasted on here back when we were in the Championship but now no one seems to notice.  Now it seems the boo birds have eyes for only one player. 

Wes had an average game.  That is pretty much the consensus on all of the match rating sites out there.  Yet some can't wait to rush on here to bash our own players.  I'm not calling those posters trolls just saying that it's definitely troll-like behavior.  

Maybe its because unlike Conor, there's also a contingent of people seemingly willing to defend and excuse Wes at every opportunity. He's a polarizing guy and the reaction from both sides of the argument drive each other. If he doesn't have a good game, one side is gonna take the opportunity to lambast him for it but when he does have a good game, the other side is 100% gonna do the same and rub it in the other's face.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

3 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Maybe its because unlike Conor, there's also a contingent of people seemingly willing to defend and excuse Wes at every opportunity. He's a polarizing guy and the reaction from both sides of the argument drive each other. If he doesn't have a good game, one side is gonna take the opportunity to lambast him for it but when he does have a good game, the other side is 100% gonna do the same and rub it in the other's face.

He had a good game and we got a good point away

I thought he did okay. Worked hard again. Some have mentioned his first touch though which I didn't think was too bad at the start of the season,. However the one really blatant thing I have noticed from him is the lack of using his strength and size to roll with that first touch when his back is to goal. He tends to need 3 or 4 yards of space to get it under control by which time the pass is generally backwards and more a retaining pass rather than forward into more dangerous areas. I really think he needs to work on this part of his game. That spin off the CB's or backline is the difference between splitting defences and creating the chances to get the shot off. 

I'm not writing him off as I think he will improve. Whether enough only time will tell. I do however think we definitely need a more pacier forward to come in who can spin with the ball and drive into defences like Tammy did. That's why I really like the look of the Nigerian kid from Lille that Villan4life mentioned. Exactly what we need IMO. 

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Do you have a target he should be hitting that he's currently not meeting?

If he were to score against Chelsea, he'd have a record of 1 in 3, which is not bad at all really for a striker who is completely new to English football. However, my concern is that he looks less likely to score than he did earlier in the season, as he seems to me to be less involved in link-up play, and I still think he's too slow to get in the box at times.

I'm pretty torn on him to be honest. I don't think he's that good, but as you note, we're scoring lots of goals, and plenty of them from open play, so it's not like our attack is badly malfunctioning.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, M_Afro said:

Alternatively, Wesley is a young kid doing an amazing job in ploughing a lone furrow for a newly promoted team who are the sixth highest scorers in the league. If he is so rubbish why are we scoring so many goals?

4 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Wesley most clearances and aerials won by Villa player

A few things here

firstly, cause and effect - are we scoring well because of Wesley or despite him? I’m not seeing the crucial role he is playing in goal creation?

secondly, we’re scraping the barrel if a prime indicator of our CFs effectiveness is “number of clearances”

I thought Wesley worked very hard yesterday and does part of the job well, but he is just not a striker. No predatory instinct, no pace, no ability to create a shooting opportunity for himself, no trick, no 1v1 ability

Far and away our weakest link. We need a new striker in January

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

You got a link to that? I read through a 50 page match thread on their forums and the only mention of wesley was his assist for their goal. 

Not right now, but it was on the man utd fan cams I heard it, not the forum.

I think the sheer fact people are desperately searching for clearance stats and looking on other teams forums shows he’s a real weak point in our team. 

I’m convinced all this will go away in Jan and the people defending him on here will realise what a good striker looks like again. 

I wish Wes all the best but he doesn’t have anywhere near enough ability to make it at this level. He’s not even the type of player you bring on to make an impact and snatch a goal because his movement and touch are so poor. He seems to be working harder but that’s just not enough. 

Edited by Delphinho123

Â