Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

I don't care how many goals he scores or how many assists he ends up with. Points for Villa is where it's at.

I just want general all-round improvement from Wes.

He'd struggle to make any impact in the championship playing like this. It's not good enough.

This is a position I can understand.

For what it's worth I think his performance has been improving in the last 2 games.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I don't know much about Newcastle, but I don't think their system intentionally works in such a way that their front 3 isn't supposed to score, that seems insane to me. Pretty sure they are in fact supposed to score they just aren't able to for whatever reason.

So now I don’t know if you don’t realise I was joking about Newcastle, or if I don’t know that you’re joking in response? 

I don't think the intention was ever to play Wesley as much as he played, I think we were expecting to sign another striker on deadline day, and even when that didn't happen we would have been expecting to use Kodjia more before he got his injury. He's been thrown in at the deep end somewhat, if we sign a striker in January I think it will help him competition wise and by taking some of the pressure off him as well.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm actually tired of seeing him getting slaughtered to be honest.

I genuinely think he is working hard, and it can't be "laziness" which sees him always so deep to help out.

AGAIN, this time last year we were getting hammered by the likes of Wigan, we've just gotten a point at Old Trafford and a huge portion of the posts i'm seeing start with "Wesley is shite". instead of anything about the actual game or our progress.

I mean, if you come to his thread, it'll be performance comments...and they're mostly going to be bad because he's playing like he is.

He's not lazy, that's just incorrect.

He is sometimes a bit stroppy because he doesn't get fouls. He doesn't get many fouls because he's got no nous or cleverness to his attempted holdup play. Makes it easy for refs to give fouls against him even when they are harsh fouls, and there are plenty of harsh calls there!

14 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I'm going by what you said, my point is that I don't understand why one standard applies to one and not the other. Unless both Klopp and Smith intimated it in the past, I'm not sure how you determined this.

In any case, Wesley is still our top scorer in the league, so in effect he is our main goal scorer. I'm not really sure what you're getting at to be honest. Do you have a target he should be hitting that he's currently not meeting?

So I have to wait until Dean Smith explicitly says that Wesley is supposed to be our main goal scorer before I can conclude that he is supposed to be in fact our main goal scorer? What? By the same token, I can't conclude that Jamie Vardy is Leicester's main goal scorer until Rodgers explicitly says it? Or for any forward for that matter?

I'm determining it based on the fact that he's our only striker on the field and strikers are generally relied on to score goals. He's also as you said, our top goal scorer in the league so far. Add to that his assist game is poor so if he isn't relied on to score goals, why else would he be put up as our main striker then? There are things which imply certain things, you don't have to wait until the manager explicitly states something for you to make your own conclusions ffs.

My point is that if Wesley was not relied on to be our main goal scorer, than I would expect more assists to his game. The absence of such assists and the fact that he's scored more goals than anyone for us so far implies to me that he is supposed to be our main goal scorer, different to someone like Firmino when you compare him to the rest of his team and the goals and assists he has. 

Edited by Laughable Chimp

From an impartial, professional, unbiased, statistically analysed point of view...(WhoScored)

...he was our third best player, one of only 3 to get a rating of 7 or more, and better than all three of man Uniteds forwards.

I’ve been critical when he was walking around sulking, but he’s really cut that out.

credit where credit is due, and he was tireless today.

just didn’t look a threat himself in the slightest.  But like others before me have pointed out, it’s a team game.

im really starting to warm to him.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We’ve had 14 different goal scorers in the Premier League this season. Wesley is only one of them. While I’d love for him to be more prolific, the way we play doesn’t solely rely on goals form the centre forward. It’s a team game, and whether you like it or not, Wes is a part of that team. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I mean, if you come to his thread, it'll be performance comments...and they're mostly going to be bad because he's playing like he is.

He's not lazy, that's just incorrect.

He is sometimes a bit stroppy because he doesn't get fouls. He doesn't get many fouls because he's got no nous or cleverness to his attempted holdup play. Makes it easy for refs to give fouls against him even when they are harsh fouls, and there are plenty of harsh calls there!

To be fair I just came here from Facebook so it was more in reference to that to be fair.

Don't get me wrong I've criticised him in the past but I think out fans have a tendency to go "witch-hunt" type overboard once we have something to latch onto.

• Like 3

considering all the negativity......if you listen to the Manure fan cams, their comments of Wesley were....."Wesley did a job on us tonight".........."they put Wesley on Lindelof and he did a job on us".

Yes he needs to improve in his finishing, and getting in good positions, but i dont think anyone can argue that he worked his socks off and bullied them a bit, i think the issue, if there is one, is that he's more of a deep lying forward playing as a lone striker.

However, i do wonder if we analyzed it, its possible our attacking midfielders are scoring so many, is highly liekly at least in part to Wesley playing in that deep role, pulling players with him, holding the ball up, playing flick ons etc for players running past him etc.

Yes he needs to improve parts of his game, but i also wonder if he doesnt get the credit his due as a lot of his work goes unnoticed due to him not being a prolific goalscorer......

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm actually tired of seeing him getting slaughtered to be honest.

I genuinely think he is working hard, and it can't be "laziness" which sees him always so deep to help out.

AGAIN, this time last year we were getting hammered by the likes of Wigan, we've just gotten a point at Old Trafford and a huge portion of the posts i'm seeing start with "Wesley is shite". instead of anything about the actual game or our progress.

Are you lost?

12 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

To be fair I just came here from Facebook so it was more in reference to that to be fair.

Don't get me wrong I've criticised him in the past but I think out fans have a tendency to go "witch-hunt" type overboard once we have something to latch onto.

Eff that. Haven't been on it for years. Bet it's horrible.

Just saw something nice I missed first time. Wes just turns and claps Grealish's banger when it goes it. Amused me. Not a cheer or too much, just polite applause.

28 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

We’ve had 14 different goal scorers in the Premier League this season. Wesley is only one of them. While I’d love for him to be more prolific, the way we play doesn’t solely rely on goals form the centre forward. It’s a team game, and whether you like it or not, Wes is a part of that team. 

That's what I like about Dean Smith's teams. Still though, just imagine where we'd be with Tammy leading the line

I thought he played well today but the problem is he doesn’t get in the right positions in the box and he isn’t really a goal scorer. I like him and think he has a bright future but I do think a striker with good movement would thrive in this time. Someone like Tammy or Pukki would have so many chances. 

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

That's what I like about Dean Smith's teams. Still though, just imagine where we'd be with Tammy leading the line

We'd still have conceded the goals that have cost us results from winning positions??

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I thought he played well today but the problem is he doesn’t get in the right positions in the box and he isn’t really a goal scorer. I like him and think he has a bright future but I do think a striker with good movement would thrive in this time. Someone like Tammy or Pukki would have so many chances. 

When he arrived at club it was stated often that he's a link up forward not an out and out goalscorer

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

When he arrived at club it was stated often that he's a link up forward not an out and out goalscorer

I think that’s the problem. An out and out scorer could take us to another level. It’s not a fault of Wesleys. He has to play because there is no alternative and he is doing his best.

I’m excited to see who we buy in January.

He worked really hard, ran across and back, linked up play and played some nice passes

However, he has no predatory instinct, no pace, no shot, no trick and no ability to make a chance

Maybe if he was playing in a number 10 role or alongside another striker it would not be so bad, but as the main striker he is nowhere near good enough

We need a new Striker urgently

Â