Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

Just now, villalad21 said:

Can't remember last time he scored

I can help you I think. Norwich. 

What I can't remember is the last time he had a proper shot at goal, a header at goal, beat a defender with pace or skill, or generally looked dangerous going forward. 

13 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

The bottom line is we're not going to stay up if all of our goals have to come from midfielders. One way or another, he needs to offer more of a threat, and in the expectation that that won't happen before January, we need to fix this position as a matter of priority.

As a general rule you only need 40 goals to stay up you may need more this year as there are so many points and goal sieves at the top of the table. We are currently on track for 57 goals. On top of that wesley would have had an assist if grealish wasn't offside.

Where he is at now may not quite be good enough but I am confident that against weaker teams he will be able to score and help us win which at the minute is what is most important. 

Right get him scoring out your heads in the game last night and Wesley played a very good game.

At time I seen him chase the ball back into our defensive half, he were relieving the ball from players and catching them out, even making moves that let to nice play.

So his shot was way underpowered, but I am glad he shot because he needs to take a chance on it and needs to be abit more selfish. He didn't half use his strength and at one point made himself into a wall and the man Utd player must of been left hurting, it was hilarious.

Wesley for me improved on his game before last night and apart from not scoring (which seems to be everyone bloody gripe) I couldn't find a fault last night.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, zab6359 said:

Fancy him to score at Stamford Bridge, everything else about his game seems to be improving game on game. Bang one in Wednesday Wes shut the neysayers up for a bit 😉

Would be perfect to shut Tammy out, and have Wes score a brace.

I'm already bracing myself for the Tammy love in and Wesley melt down if Tammy has a blinder and Wes is impotent. lol

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Firmino's also assissted 2 more and is not relied on to be the main goal scorer for his team. Wesley is.

Wesley isn't relied on to be the main scorer. In case you hadn't noticed the team is built to get goals out of multiple players with wesley on 4, grealish, mcginn, el ghazi on 3, Hourihane, trez and Luiz on 2 and mcginn and targett on 1. Trez and El ghazi could be both be on more same with hourihane and Jack.

Wesley could score more but he is doing alright and should really be in 2 assists after today's game (if grealish left the ball for Luiz) 

13 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Thing is statistics often tells you what you're looking for. The huge difference between Wesley and lots of stat wise comperable players is that they are a lot more mobile. Wes is pretty decent defensively at times, but so incredibly static in the attacking play. Firminho might not have scored 15 goals so far, but his off ball movement, intelligence and what not is on another planet than Wes. 

Wes has definitely improved in some areas like work rate and coming deep to link up, but there's so much else missing. He's one of the least dangerous attacking threats I've ever seen. He simply doesn't have it yet. And he both directly and indirectly makes our attacking play a bit impotent. 

Yeah but the point is Wesley isn't as bad as people say. He should be on 5/6 goals (missed pen +Newcastle sitter) and 2 assists (our disallowed goal) which isn't so bad Compared to one of the best players in the league and probably Liverpools most important player.

Aside from that our entire team including wesley need to gamble on balls more and it certainly hurts us. Like with targets ball across goal against Newcastle one of our players should have been running front post for an easy finish but no one was. This isn't just a wesley problem it is a villa problem and we need to improve our off ball movement both on and off the ball. 

He was causing Man U all sorts of problems yesterday and by doing so creating space and time for our midfield. Of course you want to see him score but that was a really good AND IMPROVED performace. Worked very hard and made a big contribution to the point earned.

Also cant remember which Man U player it was that bounced off Wes...very funny though lol

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Wesley isn't relied on to be the main scorer. In case you hadn't noticed the team is built to get goals out of multiple players with wesley on 4, grealish, mcginn, el ghazi on 3, Hourihane, trez and Luiz on 2 and mcginn and targett on 1. Trez and El ghazi could be both be on more same with hourihane and Jack.

Wesley could score more but he is doing alright and should really be in 2 assists after today's game (if grealish left the ball for Luiz) 

What is Wesley's job then if it isnt to rely on him to score goals?  He lacks strength, doesn't really compete in the air, his first touch is poor and doesnt have blistering pace. 

I would say his job is predominately to score goals, 

Since the Norwich game (or in his last 6) he has 0 goals and 0 assists.

With him having played 500 out of those 540 minute you'd really expect a bit more. That much time up front you should get the odd tap in or flick on even if you are not playing well.

He does appear to put himself about a bit more but once again that's the bare minimum you should expect from a young attacker in a new club and league.

He looks OK-ish, to me he doesn't look like a natural footballer. He's big and he's not terrible, but the best I can see in him is that there is a lot of room for improvement.

Confidence is huge with strikers, a few goals will perhaps get him to try more things. Now he's just doing basic stuff.

ATM he's certainly not the focal point of our attack.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, birdman said:

He was causing Man U all sorts of problems yesterday and by doing so creating space and time for our midfield. Of course you want to see him score but that was a really good AND IMPROVED performace. Worked very hard and made a big contribution to the point earned.

Also cant remember which Man U player it was that bounced off Wes...very funny though lol

Probably Lindelof based on Sun rating/comments

Edited by Kiwivillan

23 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Would be perfect to shut Tammy out, and have Wes score a brace.

I'm already bracing myself for the Tammy love in and Wesley melt down if Tammy has a blinder and Wes is impotent. lol

Isn't Tammy a doubt with hip injury?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

What is Wesley's job then if it isnt to rely on him to score goals?  He lacks strength, doesn't really compete in the air, his first touch is poor and doesnt have blistering pace. 

I would say his job is predominately to score goals, 

His job is to receive the ball to feet and fin the right pass for us to get pass the next defender. He did this excellently against Newcastle and quite a few times against united especially for trez. I think if el ghazi was playing we would have won the game and that injury really hampered us despite that trez's goal was unlucky to be ruled out. 

11 minutes ago, birdman said:

Was James. 

He didn't cause them much problems at all. He had some half decent link-up play and worked well defensively, despite losing most headers and assisting them in scoring. 

It's absolutely hilarious people are trying to spin that performance that he played well. Aspects of it was good, but overall it was once again pretty poor and far from what we need from a striker. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sne said:

Since the Norwich game (or in his last 6) he has 0 goals and 0 assists.

With him having played 500 out of those 540 minute you'd really expect a bit more. That much time up front you should get the odd tap in or flick on even if you are not playing well.

He does appear to put himself about a bit more but once again that's the bare minimum you should expect from a young attacker in a new club and league.

He looks OK-ish, to me he doesn't look like a natural footballer. He's big and he's not terrible, but the best I can see in him is that there is a lot of room for improvement.

Confidence is huge with strikers, a few goals will perhaps get him to try more things. Now he's just doing basic stuff.

ATM he's certainly not the focal point of our attack.

Of course wesley isn't the focal point he is currently a cog. Our 3 best attacking outlets as I'm sure everyone knows are grealish, mcginn and el ghazi which is why over the last 3 or 4 games everything has gone through them. But when we are missing one you can see we struggle to create like when el ghazi was goje against united. We certainly could have done with him playing the full game although trez wasn't that poor. 

18 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

His job is to receive the ball to feet and fin the right pass for us to get pass the next defender. He did this excellently against Newcastle and quite a few times against united especially for trez. I think if el ghazi was playing we would have won the game and that injury really hampered us despite that trez's goal was unlucky to be ruled out. 

Personally for 22 million, id want allot more than that.  Honestly, i feel i could do that if the ball was played into my feet. 

Moving away from the (very boring) "Wesley is a ****ing donkey" vs "Wesley is doing okay" debate...

Is anyone else worried that we have 3 games in 8 days, and Wesley is probably going to be asked to do a big shift in all of them? I mean from a fitness perspective... it just seems like a big ask for any striker to do 3 x 90 in such a short space of time?

Should we be starting Kodjia against Chelsea, just to ease the burden a bit, or is that too much of a risk?

• Like 1

Â