Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

That was one of his better games and he still was "OK" and nowt more. 

A striker with a bit of nous and we'll be fine. The team is getting more and more annoyed with him.

We'd be in an identical position if we'd started Davis every game this season. We'd be higher if we had McGinn up front all season, because he'd hold the ball up and can kick a football properly.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

That was one of his better games and he still was "OK" and nowt more. 

A striker with a bit of nous and we'll be fine. The team is getting more and more annoyed with him.

We'd be in an identical position if we'd started Davis every game this season. We'd be higher if we had McGinn up front all season, because he'd hold the ball up and can kick a football properly.

This is funny, cause I suspect it to be true.

No complaints about work rate and occasionally passed the ball off effectively. He also occupied the centre backs adequately.

Unfortunately, if he’s effective anywhere else, I can’t see it. I know his job is to create space for others but I think defenders realise there’s little about his game atm that should worry them. As such, the space isn’t there as frequently. 

I have this inkling that Dean never intended him to be the number one striker. I think there was a other one lined up and that Wes would be given time to mature from the bench (look at every other are of the team and how new signings have been introduced). 

I really want him to work out and I can see he’s improving. I just don’t think he’s a number 9 and his dropping deep role means we’re stuffed when we can’t spring Jack or John. 

15 minutes ago, Elton said:

Ha, ha, brilliant!

So we agree Wesley is a vast improvement there then. He’s scored as many as Liverpool’s Brazilian Centre Forward so far this season. Stats, lies etc.

Firmino's also assissted 2 more and is not relied on to be the main goal scorer for his team. Wesley is.

1 minute ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

I have this inkling that Dean never intended him to be the number one striker. I think there was a other one lined up and that Wes would be given time to mature from the bench (look at every other are of the team and how new signings have been introduced).

I agree with you on not being first choice.

However, after January when he's hopefully out of the XI and we've brought in a better player...I can't see him being a good one to throw on if we're chasing.

He's not going to dart round, look dangerous and pinch a goal is he? He'll do his dropping deep thing that he does, have his huge touches backwards and pass it to advancing full backs. Anyone already in centre mid can do that.

9 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Is he though? We're the 6th highest scorers in the league.

Yes? He is still relied on to be the main goalscorer of our team and the fact that we're the 6th highest scorers in the league doesn't change that. If he's supposed to be like Firmino then I would expect more assists to his game as well but that's not really there either. 

**** hell, even his one assist that he's had to his name isn't some great pass either. Its a basic pass to Luiz outside of the box who proceeds to curl it into the top corner.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

2 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Yes? He is still relied on to be the main goalscorer of our team and the fact that we're the 6th highest scorers in the league doesn't change that. If he's supposed to be like Firmino then I would expect more assists to his game as well but that's not really there either. 

Well like you said, Firmino only has 2 more assists to his name than Wesley. So I'm not sure how you've concluded that he's not relied on as a goalscorer and indeed that Wesley is for us. Unless I've missed Dean say this before.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Firmino's also assissted 2 more and is not relied on to be the main goal scorer for his team. Wesley is.

Thought it was obvious my comparison was a little tongue in cheek. Although I’m not sure Smith thinks he is setting up a team relying on Wesley to be top goal scorer. Football systems have moved on from over relying on a CF for goals. Look at Newcastle for example, they like to play 3 up front who can’t score.

Edited by Elton

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Well like you said, Firmino only has 2 more assists to his name than Wesley. So I'm not sure how you've concluded that he's not relied on as a goalscorer and indeed that Wesley is for us. Unless I've missed Dean say this before.

First of all, I said Firmino is not relied on to be the main goalscorer for his team, not that he isn't relied to score goals at all.

Secondly, are you joking me? So are we not supposed to rely on Wesley as a goalscorer then? Well he certainly isn't really providing the asists either unless you think 1 assist in 14 games is acceptable for a "non-goal scoring forward", so why the **** are we playing him on the field for then?

Edited by Laughable Chimp

1 minute ago, Laughable Chimp said:

First of all, I said Firmino is not relied on to be the main goalscorer for his team, not that he isn't relied to score goals at all.

Secondly, are you joking me? So are we not supposed to rely on Wesley as a goalscorer then? Well he certainly isn't really providing the asists either, so why the **** are we playing him on the field for then?

I'm going by what you said, my point is that I don't understand why one standard applies to one and not the other. Unless both Klopp and Smith intimated it in the past, I'm not sure how you determined this.

In any case, Wesley is still our top scorer in the league, so in effect he is our main goal scorer. I'm not really sure what you're getting at to be honest. Do you have a target he should be hitting that he's currently not meeting?

6 minutes ago, Elton said:

Thought it was obvious my comparison was a little tongue in cheek. Although I’m not sure Smith thinks he is setting up a team relying on Wesley to be top goal scorer. Football systems have moved on from over relying on a CF for goals. Look at Newcastle for example, they like to play 3 up front who can’t score.

I don't know much about Newcastle, but I don't think their system intentionally works in such a way that their front 3 isn't supposed to score, that seems insane to me. Pretty sure they are in fact supposed to score they just aren't able to for whatever reason.

8 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I don't care how many goals he scores or how many assists he ends up with. Points for Villa is where it's at.

I just want general all-round improvement from Wes.

He'd struggle to make any impact in the championship playing like this. It's not good enough.

• Confused 1

45 minutes ago, Elton said:

Ha, ha, brilliant!

So we agree Wesley is a vast improvement there then. He’s scored as many as Liverpool’s Brazilian Centre Forward so far this season. Stats, lies etc.

Thing is statistics often tells you what you're looking for. The huge difference between Wesley and lots of stat wise comperable players is that they are a lot more mobile. Wes is pretty decent defensively at times, but so incredibly static in the attacking play. Firminho might not have scored 15 goals so far, but his off ball movement, intelligence and what not is on another planet than Wes. 

Wes has definitely improved in some areas like work rate and coming deep to link up, but there's so much else missing. He's one of the least dangerous attacking threats I've ever seen. He simply doesn't have it yet. And he both directly and indirectly makes our attacking play a bit impotent. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

Â