Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

23 then. 

He just got called up for Brazil. He played in the Champions League for a team that drew with Atletico and Dortmund... 0-0 admittedly 😁

So either all of these top level coaches are wrong about our Brazilian international, or he must have some potential?

No one cares what he has done and about his international call up. Jack Grealish hasn’t got a call up, so does that mean Wesley is better than him? 

Everybody on here is basing their opinion of how he plays and has played every week. He’s been largely abysmal and I can’t wait for us to bring in a decent striker so we can see the back of this guy. We’re a good team and a decent striker will take us to the next level. 

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

23 then. 

He just got called up for Brazil. He played in the Champions League for a team that drew with Atletico and Dortmund... 0-0 admittedly 😁

So either all of these top level coaches are wrong about our Brazilian international, or he must have some potential?

Didn't Brugge play him as a second striker in a 4-4-2 system? Probably his best position.

He likes to drop deep and join in the build up play. He isn't a number 9 and will never be.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Didn't Brugge play him as a second striker in a 4-4-2 system? Probably his best position.

He likes to drop deep and join in the build up play. He isn't a number 9 and will never be.

If he ain’t a number 9 then god knows what he is. A 10? No chance. They tend to be able to control the ball and dribble with it. He can’t do either.

I’d warn against this new Villatalk idea that he isn’t a no.9. He is, he’s just a shit one. Don’t make excuses for him. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

just searching around and found this interesting statistic tidbit: he has committed the most fouls out of anyone in the PL this year. 

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

A foul was given against him yesterday when James I think ran into him and bounced off like Wesley has Berettas in his nipples.

For all his shortcomings, and there are a lot...refs give him nothing, and I can feel his frustration.

If he can wise up and stop making it so easy for them it'll add to his all-round contribution.

He's fighting sometimes when he should go down, he's stopping, waving arms and appealing when he should be holding players off. I was hoping Terry could help him with this, he knows all about how these skirmishes playout. Especially as a brilliant centre half in the air who was not the biggest.

15 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

No one cares what he has done and about his international call up. Jack Grealish hasn’t got a call up, so does that mean Wesley is better than him? 

Everybody on here is basing their opinion of how he plays and has played every week. He’s been largely abysmal and I can’t wait for us to bring in a decent striker so we can see the back of this guy. We’re a good team and a decent striker will take us to the next level. 

I thought I was being balanced by saying he has potential, but clearly not. 

Obviously Wesley isn't better than Jack Grealish ffs.

4 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He does have potential and I’m sure he will make it at a championship club next year. 

Edited by Delphinho123

7 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

We’re not going to get rid of Wesley, he’s young and has only played 14 games at PL  level. He’s developing and settling in both on and off the pitch. Some players do it instantly,  others take months, some don’t settle at a club at all. Benteke took a couple of months or so before  he started to look like the player he eventually became for us and to be honest he hasn’t as yet reach those heights at either Liverpool or Palace. Ken McNaught took about two thirds of a season, I shudder to think of the abuse he would have got these days on social media, but once he settled we couldn’t play without him. 

I agree he has plenty of room for improvement, but it’s much too early to write him off, particularly as we now have a coaching set up that is very good at developing players. I think we should and probably will be in the market for a striker in January to both play with and instead of Wesley depending on the circumstances. It will help the lad and certainly take some of the weight of expectation and responsibility off his shoulders.

It also shouldn’t be forgotten that we are scoring a decent amount of goals as a team and he is our leading scorer. He’s a young player that’s leading the line at a major club in the biggest league in the world. That’s some responsibility. I’m sure he and the coaches know he needs to improve, but he also needs time and patience. A strike partner that brings us something different and we could see him suddenly take off. I hope so anyway.

• Like 3

I often never want see him started as Striker as he seem like undroppable which make me angry and p*** me off Yet would accept see him started as Second Striker - but not ideal on our system so IS We should change for his style - at moment - NO! as system work great for us why we changing this so play Davis would be ok maybe Kodjia even i don't keen him.

so we might we play him as ACM Roles where Grealish used be before he move to Left Inside Forward - So "Big Question?" can he preform good in Central Midfield Zone if we drop deep like Grealish did for us? for me point of view I can't see this myself as I don't think he got that experience or Skill in this area, Killer pass and tackle, man marking, Stamina, Dribbling? he is lack of these combined so we better off other player like Ramsey or O'hare over Moraes but he can play this roles if we give him time and developed? even I rather play Houriane his position at moment.

Remember we bought him for Striker Roles not CM | ACM | Playmaker, at moment he is not good enough but can see potential, yet all he need stop operate as Second Striker he need started to play as Deep Lay Forward - which i can see him in this roles and fit Smith system.

which meant The forward is capacity come deep hold ball and running with ball toward box and pass around  and running to behind player to ball, also dribble to bring other player and lay in, also he need proxy around Box more rather operate around outside box too deep often.

PROBLEM IS he often standing, waiting for player movement and pass him, all attacker team-mate already miles away to get ball into box as when he should keep ball move and legs, feets move and pass player to help to movement better and acceralate track along other attack team-mate.

Only Players he very effective is jota as reason is both of them are slow and Intel player with suspire boost speed short distance to beat defender, he will score lots if Jota on the pitch if we need play Jota so we got to drop El Ghazi or Trezeguet problem we will struggle to close down with Jota on right side which counter attack or able push us too deep and defend in deep under pressure. which I prefer El Ghazi then Trezeguet, Jota... 

If we sign Bowen or Lolley type right winger - left foot (right inside forward) meant Jota will drop bottom order, so Wesley need step in his games (stay forward rather drop deep) or he will lost place to new sign or even Davis when he back from injury. 

Edited by Danny_Villaman84
forget grammar rules in some area.

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Wouldn't bother trying mate. This thread is ridiculous. 😂

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 2

No one outside the top five has scored more goals than us, only United outside of the top five can equal our twenty-one goals. As an whole we're doing well as an attacking force, sixth joint best for a newly promoted team is very good.

• Like 2

There are 3 teams who don't have a >£20m striker in their team

Burnley (Wood 15m) Bournemouth (solanke 19m) Norwich (pukki 0)

There are some eye watering figures going for PL strikers, haller and joelinton being the obvious ones, he has the same number of goals as the £35m ayoze perez who scored 3 of his in 1 game and plays for high flying Leicester 

Edited by villa4europe

against Manure he won the ball and held it up well, the times he fell down without getting a free kick were a lot less than previous games, he won more balls and laid them off well from deep. He also worked hard and covered more of the pitch.

He draws defenders towards him and leaves gaps for other players. As long as we are still scoring goals we can just about justify letting him continue to get pitch time and get up to speed, but that doesn't change the fact he still has to improve and become more of a threat in front of goal.

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

against Manure he won the ball and held it up well, the times he fell down without getting a free kick were a lot less than previous games, he won more balls and laid them off well from deep. He also worked hard and covered more of the pitch.

He draws defenders towards him and leaves gaps for other players. As long as we are still scoring goals we can just about justify letting him continue to get pitch time and get up to speed, but that doesn't change the fact he still has to improve and become more of a threat in front of goal.

This is what the people hating on wesley should be thinking. He has been alright, has had good holdup play and been creating good opportunities for our wingers. Yes he does need to work on his finishing and everyone agrees on that but it isn't as if he is a bad finisher it is just his off the ball movement (a problem that our entire team has except for el ghazi and grealish) is poor. That is something that can easily be worked on and trained. It isn't as if he is missing something essential to be a striker it is just his game is a little rough and he hasn't fully refined it to suit the prem. Like in the first few games he couldn't use his strength or he was pulled back for a foul now he is learning to use it better and is making himself a handful for every defender he plays. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

This is what the people hating on wesley should be thinking. He has been alright, has had good holdup play and been creating good opportunities for our wingers. Yes he does need to work on his finishing and everyone agrees on that but it isn't as if he is a bad finisher it is just his off the ball movement (a problem that our entire team has except for el ghazi and grealish) is poor. That is something that can easily be worked on and trained. It isn't as if he is missing something essential to be a striker it is just his game is a little rough and he hasn't fully refined it to suit the prem. Like in the first few games he couldn't use his strength or he was pulled back for a foul now he is learning to use it better and is making himself a handful for every defender he plays. 

The haters won't understand rational logic like this!

We're joint 6th highest scorers in the league and we're 15th in the table and people think that scoring goals is our problem, that if we had a striker that could score more goals (4 in 14 is btw not that bad) we'd be flying high? It's hard to get my head around that. What if Mings hadn't made that late, poor clearance against manure? Or Heaton hadn't decided to cut down that bournemouth striker after 2 seconds or Luiz let the ball go to another bournemouth player a few minutes later? And so on. I think Smith & co are more concerned about our bad habit of making silly misstakes than our attacking "problems".

No one says that Wes is perfect, but he's been here for about 5 months, is only 23 and is learning by the day. He wasn't a prolific scorer before he came here and I bet Smith knew that but still saw something in him and thought that was enough to spend £22m to get. And keeps playing him. Ok, the last part can be down to us having one option only atm. Even though I've seen some really silly suggestions like playing McGinn up front. I think I got a serious headache reading that.

I wouldn't bet much money on us to get a expensive, high flying striker asa replacment for him. I think we'll get one or two strikers in, depending on if we can sell Kodija or not, to have some cover and backup, but that's it. Maybe next summer if we survive, which I think we will.

• Like 2

Â