Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

2 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

Personally for 22 million, id want allot more than that.  Honestly, i feel i could do that if the ball was played into my feet. 

Out of interest, in today's market, what would you want for £22,000,000?

6 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Moving away from the (very boring) "Wesley is a ****ing donkey" vs "Wesley is doing okay" debate...

Is anyone else worried that we have 3 games in 8 days, and Wesley is probably going to be asked to do a big shift in all of them? I mean from a fitness perspective... it just seems like a big ask for any striker to do 3 x 90 in such a short space of time?

Should we be starting Kodjia against Chelsea, just to ease the burden a bit, or is that too much of a risk?

i think that's a valid point.

While he's young he's also pretty big and heavy.

So far he's played 1194 minutes out of 1260 (not counting added time) this season. That's quite a lot.

That said I don't think we should start Kodjia as he's simply not good enough.

4 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Alexander Isak cost £6.5m, Osimhen cost £11m, Haaland cost £5m, Marcus Thuram cost £8m...

Neither is/was a sure thing but all have moved this year for much less than £22m

£22m is still a lot of money even in todays football, let's not pretend it isn't.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Don_Simon said:

I'd like someone who can control and kick the ball.

Looking only across the PL, Ings, Llorente, Slimani, Jordan Ayew (!), Mousset, Rodriguez and Maupay were all available to us in the Summer and cost less. We'd have more points right now if we had any of these.

This isn't to say Wes won't get better, he obviously will under Smith. But he's starting from a level that just does not justify that sort of money. Could we sell him for that now? Doubt it.

• Like 2

Just now, Villaphan04 said:

just searching around and found this interesting statistic tidbit: he has committed the most fouls out of anyone in the PL this year. 

Classic PL-ref bias against strong-ish foreign attackers who are new to the league.

Savo didn't get a single call with him, nor did Mathias Svensson or a whole bunch of others like them in their first seasons.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sne said:

Alexander Isak cost £6.5m, Osimhen cost £11m, Haaland cost £5m, Marcus Thuram cost £8m...

Neither is/was a sure thing but all have moved this year for much less than £22m

£22m is still a lot of money even in todays football, let's not pretend it isn't.

This doesn't in any way answer my question, so I'm not sure the relevance of it. 

• Confused 3

26 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

just searching around and found this interesting statistic tidbit: he has committed the most fouls out of anyone in the PL this year. 

I have to say there are a LOT of situations where we go direct to Wesley and he looks like he is being punished for very little. Quite often I think it is him being fouled yet it goes the other way. 

• Like 3

It's just not enough. Yea Wesley is doing a lot better lately of holding up the ball and moving which has allowed our wingers and midfield to find space, but that is the basics of any target striker. Even Davis does that very well. The main reason Davis isn't our starting striker is because he rarely scores. Well Wesley is having the same issue. If we don't mind our striker not scoring, then we might as well have saved our money and made Davis our starting striker. 

My biggest worry is Wesley is barely getting any chances. Yes he had a shot against United, but that was a poor effort from out of the box. He got a tap in against Newcastle which he missed. He maybe pops up with 1 decent chance a match which is worrying. We are a club that takes a lot of shots, but Wesley is not contributing to that. He needs to do more. 

20 minutes ago, useless said:

Wesley has scored double the amount of goals in fourteen appearances in the premier league than the two goals that Davis scored in thirty-nine appearances in the championship.

And yet Davis has performed as well or better than Wesley whenever he's subbed in for him. Go ahead, name me one time Davis has actually looked worse than Wesley after coming on for him.

Its not rocket science, player A seems to be better than player B whenever player A is subbed on for player B. Does this not imply player A may deserve a chance over player B? Because if not, then let me ask you what would be then if playing better than another player doesn't give you the right to start over that other player? Because at this point, I don't think he will ever be given a chance by some here no matter how well he plays over Wesley as long as he doesn't score a goal in those few minutes he gets every other game.

Wesley's scoring rate is now 1 goal every 303 minutes, Davis has only played a fraction of that total at 64 minutes in the PL, how are supposed to know that he wouldn't actually do better than Wesley if he is never allowed the time? And again, you might go and appeal to his championship scoring record but to be frank, every time I've seen him play tis season he seems like he'd be better for the team all around and seems to be a better goal threat, certainly no worse than Wesley imo. And I think he's appearances in the PL this season are worth more as evidence of how he can do now over his appearances in the past season. Does it automatically mean that he's better than Wesley? Certainly not, but as I repeat myself again, I think he's done enough to deserve being given a genuine chance when he comes back to see how good he can actually be.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I didn't say anything against Davis, I'm just saying that it's wrong to say that Wesley doesn't score goals to the same degree that Davis dosen't score goals. Wesley has four in fourteen appearances in the premier league whilst Davis has two goals in 39 appearances in the championship and six appearances in the premier league.

1 minute ago, useless said:

I didn't say anything against Davis

But, you did?

"Wesley has scored double the amount of goals in fourteen appearances in the premier league than the two goals that Davis scored in thirty-nine appearances in the championship."

This seems like a knock on Davis's scoring record no matter how you read it. Its not that I disagree with it either, but still something you said against Davis.

• Like 1

No, I was just pointing out in response to the idea that Wesley doesn't score any more goals than Davis so Davis might as well play ahead of him, that Wesley in fact has scored double the amount of goals that Davis has scored, in less appearances and at an higher level of football.

He's 22 and has only been playing professional football since his late teens. 

He shouldn't be starting every week unchallenged and I don't think that was the plan, but I don't blame him for it. I think the ability is there, he just needs to sort that pesky first touch out. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 4

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He's 22 and has only bee playing professional football since his late teens. 

He shouldn't be starting every week for Aston Villa and I don't think that was the plan, but I don't blame him for it. I think the ability is there, he just needs to sort that pesky first touch out. 

23 I think. Think it was said the Man Utd match was his bday 

7 minutes ago, useless said:

No, I was just pointing out in response to the idea that Wesley doesn't score any more goals than Davis so Davis might as well play ahead of him, that Wesley in fact has scored double the amount of goals that Davis has scored, in less appearances and at an higher level of football.

Davis also never really got a run of games in a Dean Smith team.

Look how Newcastle front three struggles under Bruce.

And even so i think Davis would contribute more to the team, at least with Wesley's current form. He doesn't offer anything atm.

Edited by villalad21

Just now, KenjiOgiwara said:

23 I think. Think it was said the Man Utd match was his bday 

23 then. 

He just got called up for Brazil. He played in the Champions League for a team that drew with Atletico and Dortmund... 0-0 admittedly 😁

So either all of these top level coaches are wrong about our Brazilian international, or he must have some potential?

Â