Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

Not writing him off, but there's legitimate concerns and criticisms which have emerged over his first 7 games. For me his lack of good movement in the box is a real concern and his conditioning and effort levels so far have been poor. He has a lot to do, I'm hoping a lot of it is down to him getting up to speed but there's undeniably a portion down to ability (or lack thereof) and attitude (which I'm hoping can be fixed).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

are you really including kodjia on the basis that he's been injured all season? 0 goals from 0 minutes this season, but we know he can score goals. he deserves a chance

0 minutes? Admittedly the spurs game was a while ago - but he got on the pitch.

Point being Wes is still our best bet given his goals and game time. An injured (and, imo, unsuited) Kodjia and an unproven Davis is too big a risk.

20 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

He should at least start Davis to give Wesley a kick up the arse. It is not lack of goals from him, he is just rather ineffective.

I think Davis brings more to the team in terms of harrying the opposition and holding the ball up.

I’m more of the opinion that he should be making changes earlier... I would have started Wesley, as he has been, but be more likely to take him off after 65 mins and give Davis the rest of the game. That way you’re easing them both in to PL life a little more. Don’t want a MON situation where you either start or you feel excluded. Which is weird because I think Smith is good at rotating people and timing subs in other areas of the pitch.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

0 minutes? Admittedly the spurs game was a while ago - but he got on the pitch.

Point being Wes is still our best bet given his goals and game time. An injured (and, imo, unsuited) Kodjia and an unproven Davis is too big a risk.

so he did...ok i take that back. yes purely on goals vs minutes, wesley is ahead of them. but we're analysing his performances on much, much more than that. he did play well vs everton but apart from his tap in vs arsenal, he's been completely absent aside from that game. the calls for davis are based largely around his attitude when coming on. he has a real willingness to get on the ball and make something happen.

kodja has his faults as we all know. but i'd give him a 2nd chance. we know he can make chances for himself which i'm not sure wesley can do. and i'd argue that kodjia's ego could make him up his efforts on the bigger stage

• Like 1

I think those talking about 2 in 6, and him being a new signing who will get better etc. are missing the point of those who think he needs dropping.

You can't afford to keep picking a player who isn't even showing the fundamentals of being able to win a header, attack cross, or seemingly get himself in front of his defender to receive the ball. It's damaging to the other 10 players on the pitch and severely restricts the other 10 players ability to retain the ball when pressed by the opposition and for the team to create chances when the opposition sit back. I think a lot of problems we've had would be remedied if we had a forward to relieve pressure and move us up the field 10-20 yards from time to time.

I totally understand that fans are saying he will get better with time, which is fair enough, but if you want to keep Wesley in the team to give him time to find his feet then I think you have to take that into account when critiquing some of team performances so far, particularly in the 2nd half of games.

• Like 3

I quite like the idea of staring Wesley but taking him off at 60 mins to give Davis a run out. I think Wesley will be a good player for us but we have faded badly in second halves this season and I think the hold up play of Davis would be valuable to easing the pressure and building from the front. This would take some of the burden off Wesley and he could exert himself more knowing he didn't need to last the entire 90 mins. It must be knackering playing up top by yourself for 90 mins to be fair.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Thug said:

Not writing Wesley off.

just saying that he spends too much time not moaning, and not trying at all.

Making him ‘undroppable’ is promoting this attitude.  His total contribution against burnley was to slow down our attacks by faking injury. Nothing positive at all.

He needs to know he needs to work hard, we know he has it in him because he’s done it against Everton.  
He’s not showing any desire, just sulks and fakes injury.  It’s tiresome watching.

Davis needs to start, even if it’s just a boot up the arse for Wes.

Disagree. His problem isn't his work rate, it's his street smarts. He's naive and petulant. He doesn't know when to go down, when to be aggressive... he lets his personal game situation get on top of him, especially if he feels the ref isn't on his side.

But lots of decent players start out like that. No doubt he'll always be a bit of a difficult character, but I think he'll grow out of the worst of it and learn to use his physical attributes to really influence games.

He's scored 2 goals in 7 Premier League games, and Davis has 2 career goals at any level. It would be madness to start Davis unless he starts really influencing games off the bench. Fine, the modern target man role doesn't require a 20+ goalscorer, but they still need to reach double figures. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see Davis doing that at Premier League level.

• Like 1

On 29/09/2019 at 19:36, Dr_Pangloss said:

He appears to be more built for 'show' rather than 'go'. Walker-Pieters who is a comparative midget fragged him off the ball when we played Spurs and that was instantly a big red flag. He doesn't at this stage know how to use his strength and some of this might be underpinned by a balance issue.

Yes, he's like the Reverse Engels who although of a height with Wesley looks slighter but is way more effective because he understands the laws of physics and how to apply them.

14 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Him starting on the bench might get a reaction out of him. Hard to say without knowing more about his personality. He's had a run in the team, but you could argue 1 every 3 games isn't awful.  

Small samples, innit.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, villanmac said:

I think those talking about 2 in 6, and him being a new signing who will get better etc. are missing the point of those who think he needs dropping.

You can't afford to keep picking a player who isn't even showing the fundamentals of being able to win a header, attack cross, or seemingly get himself in front of his defender to receive the ball. It's damaging to the other 10 players on the pitch and severely restricts the other 10 players ability to retain the ball when pressed by the opposition and for the team to create chances when the opposition sit back. I think a lot of problems we've had would be remedied if we had a forward to relieve pressure and move us up the field 10-20 yards from time to time.

I totally understand that fans are saying he will get better with time, which is fair enough, but if you want to keep Wesley in the team to give him time to find his feet then I think you have to take that into account when critiquing some of team performances so far, particularly in the 2nd half of games.

Really good post... What mostly concerns me about Wesley is that we keep being told he was brought in for his all round contribution. Unfortunately the last couple of games the midfield have got much closer to him and it hasn't made any difference. Watching him and seeing Tammy fight for everything last year in a lesser league just makes me f****** angry. His biggest issue isn't scoring goals....It's his effort or lack of.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

1/3 is an acceptable return if his over all play is solid. Unfortunately it isn't. 

Was 1/3 in Belgium league - never going to be the same in PL. Along with proven goalscorer very good option - but will never be leading goalscorer himself.

I think people should remember he's still only 22 - only about 6 months older than Keinan Davis.

He won young player of the year in Belgium last year and has moved for a big fee, but he's still raw and it looks to me like his head still isn't quite right. 

Personally I'd play him against Norwich as they are a poor defence. Tell him to be aggressive, stay on his feet and make his mark on the game, as he's got Davis and Kodjia chomping at the bit for his shirt. 

Could be the making of him - and if it isn't it's time to start one of the others. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Not writing him off, but there's legitimate concerns and criticisms which have emerged over his first 7 games. For me his lack of good movement in the box is a real concern and his conditioning and effort levels so far have been poor. He has a lot to do, I'm hoping a lot of it is down to him getting up to speed but there's undeniably a portion down to ability (or lack thereof) and attitude (which I'm hoping can be fixed).

I disagree wesley hasn't been in the box a huge amount and from open play the only times I really remember him being in the box were his goals and mcginns offside goal. He has obviously been in the box more times. But all of the times I have mentioned he has displayed good movement to get in front of his man and have an attempt on goal. 

Â