Kalvin Phillips

StefanAVFC

22 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I believe that in order to get the work permit we have to guarantee Luiz plays in a high percentage of games.

He wont be of any use to anyone if he doesnt get the permit, thus he will be starting most games.

No way Phillips signs with that in mind.

......unless that we loan him back straight away?

I think this is a myth.

As andycv posted, I believe the permit criteria is based on full international appearances, a high percentage of the clubs transfer fee and wages.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Just can't see it. Think we've moved on. 

yeah, spent 130m + currently, we have 2 x DM now (Luiz and Nakamba - with Conor as 3rd backup if we are desperate - or even Konsa as 3rd/4th backup if we are really that desperate), if we are planning to add a couple more, needs to be on a striker and winger imo.

absolutely no need to chase Phillips now tbh.

• Like 2

Neither Luiz nor Nakamba are actually traditional defensive midfielders though. We assume that’s how they will be played with us but Nakamba was more like McGinn for Brugge and Luiz plays more a ‘quarterback’ role if played at the back of midfield. 

We might still be after a tough tackling defensive midfielder?

56 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

All the clips I've seen of Luiz he doesn't look like a holding midfielder. Wouldn't stun me if he's been brought in for the Jack/John role.

Phillips be great DM for us.

I think he can play either, due to his passing ability. Grealish & Mcginn are guaranteed starters every week if fit, so I'm assuming doug has been brought in to play as a deep lying playmaker. 

There are two types of work permit, a 12 month and 36 month visa. Due to the touch and go nature of luiz's qualifying criteria, I doubt anything above a 12 month visa would be issued. So when it runs out in a year, we will have to apply again. Unless he is playing regularly then it will probably be declined. Nakamba is definitely a DM as well, so it is unlikely Phillips will sign now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I'd love it. 

Luiz, nakamba, phillips, hourihane, mcginn and Grealish. 

That's a very strong midfield squad. 

I think it's important here to state that it could be very strong.

Luiz and Nakamba are basically unknowns and Hourihane is pretty poor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Honestly if we can nab him for £15m then why the hell not. The club don't seem arsed about FFP or intangible things like 'squad unity'. 

If you're asking me would I swap Lansbury for Phillips then the answer is obviously a hard yes. 

I think we are choosing and signing players very much with squad unity in mind...

Edit: know what you are saying though obviously!

Edited by Adam2003
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I think we are choosing and signing players very much with squad unity in mind...

Edit: know what you are saying though obviously!

Oh of course, I think personality and adaptability is very high on the priority list when looking at these players given the volume we have had to sign. 

What I mean is that they seem confident that they are signing the right players regardless, and as a result they trust in their head coach to make it work. 

Leeds have sold their keeper to Burnley for £2.5m.

Signing Heaton might have scuppered our chances (if we're still interested) as they've now raised funds (if they needed them); or it opens up an opportunity to part/ex one of our keepers as part of the deal. Or anything else. As you were.

That won't matter. What will spur Leeds into action is Phillips running his contract down and leaving for peanuts. If he's not signing a contract this summer and a bid comes in for him, they might have to consider it.

Edited by Mazrim

3 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

That won't matter. What will spur Leeds into action is Phillips running his contract down and leaving for peanuts. If he's not signing a contract this summer and a bid comes in for him, they might have to consider it.

I’d happily sell Hourihane and Lansbury to fund a move for Phillips. 

Phillips, Nakamba, Grealish, McGinn, Luiz for 5 spots. 👍🏻

• Like 1

Â