Kalvin Phillips

StefanAVFC

I'd say the two remaining deals are a wide forward/winger and a striker and this Phillips is rumour is probably BS from a pretty unreliable source, he's got plenty wrong about Villa this summer. 

That said if Luiz is being seen more as cover for Jack and McGinn it is starting to show really good squad depth all over the pitch. 

Imagine John McGinn having serious competition for his place in the 1st team. Imagine him going into a game thinking I better try extra hard today otherwise someone else may get a chance ahead of me in the next game. 

If he's signed he'll be given no gaurentees of a start or even a squad place potentially. 

This is the kind of signing a top 6 club would make at their stage in the cycle: buy a very good championship player, bed him in over a season with a couple of starts and let him prove he deserves the shirt.

If we're planning on doing that then it's a statement of intent IMO. If he's planning on coming here to do that, it's also a massive statement of intent from him. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Luiz and Marvelous I thought were competing for the DM role? 

I think Marvelous can cover both a boxtobox role and dmc role tbh. But I suspect he's intended to compete with McGinn. 

Could potentially mean that there are plans for Douglas Luiz to return to Man City in a year or two and that it’s more of a “work permit deal” and that we think it’s better to move for Phillips now than in a year or two? Just a thought.

Edited by The Hawk
  • Like 1

As someone said a while back, of all the names we've been linked with, he's kind of the one I wanted most after Mings and AEG. If there's any truth to it I think we'll have takers for Tshibola, BB and Lansbury lined up then. If he's available and we can afford it somehow then it would be a great signing.

Looking at what's happening at Villa he'll deffo want to be part of it. Heaton looked so happy about his move - he knows Villa are building something special. Also, having played at Leeds, he knows better than anyone what bottlers they are - never going up. 

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

Dean knows we can only have 11 players on the pitch at a time?

Have you not read the new Premier League rules? You get 5 minutes before half time to field as many players as you can. Added time multi player smack down. 

• Haha 1

I really wanted Phillips earlier in the window. But I have to say I find the links to him now a little odd. If we bring him in we're going to need to do some serious rotation to keep everyone happy. 

• Like 2

Maybe we're giving them a final 'take it or leave it' deal with Phillips loaned back to them as part of the agreement.

That way, they get him to help them get promoted for one last time under Bielsa, and we have a potential Douglas Luiz replacement ready for next season in case City activate the buy-back.

Lets buy all the promising players - and keep the ones who do well. 
It's probably cheaper than buying the 'proven' players in a couple of years for (checks the reported Harry Maguire fee) £90m. Plus we can recoup cash on the ones who don't quite make it to level needed.

3 hours ago, The Hawk said:

Could potentially mean that there are plans for Douglas Luiz to return to Man City in a year or two and that it’s more of a “work permit deal” and that we think it’s better to move for Phillips now than in a year or two? Just a thought.

I believe that in order to get the work permit we have to guarantee Luiz plays in a high percentage of games.

He wont be of any use to anyone if he doesnt get the permit, thus he will be starting most games.

No way Phillips signs with that in mind.

......unless that we loan him back straight away?

Edited by Nigel

3 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I believe that in order to get the work permit we have to guarantee Luiz plays in a high percentage of games.

He wont be of any use to anyone if he doesnt get the permit, thus he will be starting most games.

No way Phillips signs with that in mind.

......unless that we loan him back straight away?

I don't think that's the case.  Exceptions are considered on the basis of transfer cost (against the club's transfer record); wages (again against the club's wage structure) and the level of first team football they've played at.  I am a bit perplexed why this is taking so long, as I would be surprised that the club announced the signing without the work permit being in the bag.

Â