Kalvin Phillips

StefanAVFC

I think it will be a shame if we can't land him. But there is also a part of me that is happy for Leeds (urgh) if he does sign a new contract. 

He would be a great player to have in our squad, but the signing of Douglas will definitely soften the blow of not being able to sign him. 

• Like 1

Real parodies with us and Jack last summer, so I'm happy he stayed as I know how much it meant to us. I imagine his nee deal is just like Jack's..  a pay rise and a release clause if they dont get promoted. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Qwpzxjor1 said:

Real parodies with us and Jack last summer, so I'm happy he stayed as I know how much it meant to us. I imagine his nee deal is just like Jack's..  a pay rise and a release clause if they dont get promoted. 

I'm a big fan of Philips attitude and physicality and passing ability and I would have loved him to have signed for us, but I agree that as a fan home grown player loyalty means a lot.

I haven't seen anything about him signing a new contract though. If he's signed anything recently the Leeds fans don't know anything about it yet. I browse their main site regularly.

• Like 1

Purely based on the last few comments in this thread. I've not heard of a new contract or anything either but he was pushing for one and if hes staying he should be rewarded for one, even if it means he'll still leave next year he at least keeps his value high for Leeds. 

5 hours ago, brommy said:

Australia is a few thousand miles closer to Minnesota than Villa Park is. It”s happening!

On a serious note, if Douglas Luiz is a DCM, surely we won’t bid for Phillips. If Dougie is a box-to-box midfielder, who does he play ahead of? McGinn?!??

Doug sits on the bench if we sign Phillips first match I'd imagine.

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Signed a new deal apparently. Might as well lock it.

Personally I'm delighted 30m is too much. Luiz for half price is a better deal by a country mile.

A country mile? I'm not sure he's better at all as I've never seen him. What are his strengths? How many times have you seen him?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brommy said:

Australia is a few thousand miles closer to Minnesota than Villa Park is. It”s happening!

On a serious note, if Douglas Luiz is a DCM, surely we won’t bid for Phillips. If Dougie is a box-to-box midfielder, who does he play ahead of? McGinn?!??

Villa Park is approximately 8000 miles nearer to Minnesota than Australia, so if you're basing "it's happening" on that stat, I can recommend a good world map site. 😉

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Doug sits on the bench if we sign Phillips first match I'd imagine.

A country mile? I'm not sure he's better at all as I've never seen him. What are his strengths? How many times have you seen him?

Quick energetic and a bloody good tackler.

Has experience on a higher level than phillips also

5 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

Villa Park is approximately 8000 miles nearer to Minnesota than Australia, so if you're basing "it's happening" on that stat, I can recommend a good world map site. 😉

I appreciate that (well travelled and always did very well in geography😉). It was a tongue in cheek post about Phillips travelling to Australia therefore supposedly less likely to sign according to some, so I posted that Minnesota is closer to Australia than VP is, so it could still be happening. Just a joke.

Edited by brommy

6 hours ago, Qwpzxjor1 said:

Is that a parody of parallels? 😄

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Quick energetic and a bloody good tackler.

Has experience on a higher level than phillips also

Spanish division 2? Be honest you've probably watched as many YouTube videos of him the last couple of days as the rest of us

He doesn't get near Phillips for tackles per game stats that I can see

4 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Spanish division 2? Be honest you've probably watched as many YouTube videos of him the last couple of days as the rest of us

Girona were in La Liga last  season so theres a chance he may have watched him.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Screenshot_20190714-074922.jpg

10 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

He played in La liga. 

Let's look at the two. Stats are per 90 min played(Squawka). Squawka have them both registered for far fewer games then whoscored.com. Think this might be down to which matches opta cover. 

Phillips(21macthes) vs Luiz(10 matches). 

Per 90 minutes played. 

Passing:

Forward passes: 14.67 vs 12.79

Long balls: 6.61 vs 5.75

Avg pass length:  0.97 vs 2.17 

Chances created: 0.68 vs 1.06

Defensive:

Total blocks : 1.93 vs 2.35 

Total clearances: 4.42 vs 2.58 

Interceptions: 2.03 vs 2.23 

Tackles won: 2.18 vs 1.53 

Dispossess: 0.94 vs 1.64 

Ariel duels won: 4.58 vs 4.34 

Other:

Sucessfull take ons: 0.78 vs 2.46 

Fouls suffered: 1.09 vs 3.05 

Not the best sample size. I imagine the statistics  looks a bit different at whoscored. Easier to make a comparison at squawka tho. Make of it what you will. 

They look quite similar in most aspects. The stand out is the amount they get fouled and successful take ons. 

Edited by Skruff
Can't spell Squawka
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

That makes sense since Barcelona are the Spanish second division 😂

Â