Kalvin Phillips

StefanAVFC

14 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Luiz isn't a DCM

I thought he was, a different style, more a playmaker rather than a tackler but both still sit deeper to allow others to go forward. Could be to sign both and have the option depending on opponent.

Either way this one seems to be dragging on, which doesn’t seem to be our style this summer (Mings excluded).

I cant see us signing him if Luiz work permit goes through. I can see however us keeping tabs on him with a view to signing him next season if we stay up, Leeds dont come up, and City buy back Luiz. He said he wanted to give Leeds another season to try get promoted. I don't know if we can pre agree anything with so many variants but I think we'll certainly be keeping an eye to maybe make a move in January depending how things are looking 

I don't see why we wouldn't sign him. We play 3 in midfield and we have McGinn, Grealish, Hourihane and hopefully Luiz. Lansbury and Bjarnason could be sold. If Phillips is more of a defensive DM I think we'd need him, especially for tougher away games.

• Like 1

Luiz didn't play as a DM at Girona, and before last season Phillips was more of an attacking midfielder, it was Bielsa that converted him to a defensive one, so if we signed both, they could both play as a DM or further forward. Presuming that Luiz signs we're still going to need to sign another player who can play as a DM whether it's Phillips or someone else.

• Like 2

I think Villa are still after Phillips. Luiz can play both DCM and CM so if we get Phillips then he could play DCM and then Luiz becomes a headache for McGinn. Our whole recruitment this Summer has been about creating options. Having numerous players that can play in several positions well is a great thing for a manager. Yes it may mean that some fan favourites get shafted for more talented players, but that's football and we worry about that when and if it happens. 

• Like 1

I’d still be in for him. Even with Luiz we would only have 3 midfielders who could really be relied on in the Premier League. Considering we play a 3 man midfield we really need another one in there for competition and injuries/suspensions. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Think he meant that Villa are missing. Ideally we do need two players who can cover that position.

I agree, but I think they are two high profile players that if bought would both expect to start. Hourihane can also cover the dm role to some degree, even if I don't rate him a whole lot. Possibly Konsa as well. 

I wouldn't be surprised if we signed more than one DMC but I would expect one of them to be a cheap young bench option. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, useless said:

Confirmed to be going with Leeds to Austraila. They're there until next weekend.

Australia is a few thousand miles closer to Minnesota than Villa Park is. It”s happening!

On a serious note, if Douglas Luiz is a DCM, surely we won’t bid for Phillips. If Dougie is a box-to-box midfielder, who does he play ahead of? McGinn?!??

Â