Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I wonder. How Smith will approach the PL. We can't just attack attack attack here like we did in championship . We try that at City or Liverpool they will absolutely murder us. 

I think we do need to attack more but I think we have to be solid with our passing and hold the ball better than we have done at times.. 

Looking at the teams you would think relegation candidates in the mix will sadly be us Norwich sheff United Brighton Palace maybe Newcastle if they don't get sold and possibly Burnley or Bournemouth 

This crossed my mind - but Smith has proved he can adapt - and he learns.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I wonder. How Smith will approach the PL. We can't just attack attack attack here like we did in championship . We try that at City or Liverpool they will absolutely murder us. 

I think we do need to attack more but I think we have to be solid with our passing and hold the ball better than we have done at times.. 

Looking at the teams you would think relegation candidates in the mix will sadly be us Norwich sheff United Brighton Palace maybe Newcastle if they don't get sold and possibly Burnley or Bournemouth 

Did we even do this? I watched a team that defended together as a unit when didn’t have the ball and kept it well when they did. 

We wont have as much of the ball against top teams and the emphasis will be on a counter attacking style. But this idea that we play ‘attack’ ‘attack’  ‘attack’ is not accurate in my opinion.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Did we even do this? I watched a team that defended together as a unit when didn’t have the ball and kept it well when they did. 

We wont have as much of the ball against top teams and the emphasis will be on a counter attacking style. But this idea that we play ‘attack’ ‘attack’  ‘attack’ is not accurate in my opinion.  

Well we definitely do take the game to teams we are not a negative, overly defensive team. We like to get tnw bll foward alot. I think we are every attack minded personally which of course isn't. A bad thing. But sometimes that won't always work. 

But I think Smith will adaptand just grow better. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Spot on.  Our success was actually built on a terrific defence.

12 goals Conceeded in our last 16 games, ( the majority of which were against Top 8 teams including Leeds, Norwich, Baggies and Derby twice for example).

We defended as an 11 as you said....and pretty much attacked as an 11 aswell with great ball retention when we had possession.

I am very optimistic that those qualities will serve us perfectly well in our League of 14. I’ve no concerns at all.

As for games against the Top 6, I’m looking forward to them. Those we lose, we lose, those we Win will be great fun.

Ill be happy as long as we stay up, but I’m very confident we will do more than that.

• Like 3

If we sign younger, fitter, faster, hungrier players with a bit of bulldog and terrier thrown in for good measure, we will be able to successfully press teams in their own half much more than we've done this season. We'll force mistakes and jump on them!

Dean Smith football will mean that opposition teams will not look forward to playing against us as we'll be in their faces for 90 minutes. A solid defence behind half a dozen marauding assisters and scorers will get us more than enough points.  That's the dream!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Why we insist on playing that stupid song I will never understand...

I think it's simply because the chorus is anthemic and works well with a crowd.  Plus it's a fairly iconic contemporary song that basically everyone knows the words to and is unclaimed by anyone else* so we can make it 'ours'.

* City can't claim every Oasis song

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, BOF said:

I think it's simply because the chorus is anthemic and works well with a crowd.  Plus it's a fairly iconic contemporary song that basically everyone knows the words to and is unclaimed by anyone else* so we can make it 'ours'.

* City can't claim every Oasis song

Yep.

It of course arrived following our first away win in over a year, played over the tannoy and the Villa supporters joining in.

If people don’t like it, fair enough. But the song summed up where we were as a club, people know the words and crucially it happened naturally and spontaneously. The way football throws up these moments every now and then.

If anyone wants to suggest a more suitable song that everyone knows the words to and doesn’t have the feel of being chosen by committee, then good luck.

• Like 1

With the right signings to let Dean Smith play how he really wants. So, high tempo, pressing high, win ball back quickly, move ball quickly, possession football.... then we'll be fine I think, we need to win 10 or 11 of our home games and pick up 10 points or so on the road to stay up. Playing Smith's way with a full house at VP will help loads in achieving that. 

3 minutes ago, romavillan said:

With the right signings to let Dean Smith play how he really wants. So, high tempo, pressing high, win ball back quickly, move ball quickly, possession football.... then we'll be fine I think, we need to win 10 or 11 of our home games and pick up 10 points or so on the road to stay up. Playing Smith's way with a full house at VP will help loads in achieving that. 

The problem is pretty much every top flight teams wants to play this way these days. Signings the right players is crucial. 

I’m looking at the job Suso did at Atletico Madrid to help get them back where they belong and hoping we can do something similar. 

Edit: relatively speaking of course. I’m not expecting us to be champions jus yet.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The problem is pretty much every top flight teams wants to play this way these days. Signings the right players is crucial. 

I’m looking at the job Suso did at Atletico Madrid to help get them back where they belong and hoping we can do something similar. 

Edit: relatively speaking of course. I’m not expecting us to be champions jus yet.

Yes modern football is based on these principals, but there's still a few teams in the top flight who seem to be trying to hang on for dear life throughout the season. 

39 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Yep.

It of course arrived following our first away win in over a year, played over the tannoy and the Villa supporters joining in.

If people don’t like it, fair enough. But the song summed up where we were as a club, people know the words and crucially it happened naturally and spontaneously. The way football throws up these moments every now and then.

If anyone wants to suggest a more suitable song that everyone knows the words to and doesn’t have the feel of being chosen by committee, then good luck.

I went through A LOT of emotions in the build up to that pen.

What a moment. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, spiezels said:

I went through A LOT of emotions in the build up to that pen.

What a moment. 

And the bugger still didn’t smile after scoring

• Like 1

I'd be happy to start next season with: 

GK: Steer/Kalinic 

RB: Guilbert

CB: Tuanzebe

CB: Mings

LB: Hause/new signing

DCM: new signing

CM: Grealish

CM: McGinn