Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

19 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

We say that, but look at Wolves. With the right buys, we may surprise even ourselves. 

Yeah deffo. There was actually no sarcasm intended with that, I'm genuinely looking forward to a season where the target is 40 points and not 80. 

i'd snatch your hand off if you offered me 17th now. but get to 40 points nice and early please and see where it takes us would also be just dandy

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Khizzy said:

I miss the Race for Promotion thread already...... 

perhaps they will create a Euro super league, just for you.😀

16 hours ago, Cjay said:

Spend record amounts of cash, nearly bankrupt yourself and gamble apparently . . . .

I dont dislike Villa, never did so yeah, congrats 😁

I think we have learn't that lesson.

I think we have a pragmatic manager, who knows that's the surest shortcut to get the sack.

Edited by TRO

I'm under no illusion how difficult next season will be, the Premier League has changed since we've been away. Fulham spent over £100 million and came straight back down.

We definitely have a chance with the football we play but the recruitment will be key. Mings is a must sign for me. Chester can hopefully play some part but we might need another 2 CB's in to cover.  Probably need another LB as well.

Obviously with Tammy gone and no idea if he's coming back a new striker is badly needed. Kodjia will be ok in this division but we need guaranteed goals and you need to pay for that. Would anyone take Mitrovic from Fulham?

I'm excited to see who we target, as that will show what kind of player we are looking at and market we are shopping in.

Does us vs. Everton remain as the most common top flight fixture? 

I think it's great we seemed to have finally shifted the loser/bottler/ piss taking player mentality that plagued the entire club during the last Premier seasons. Pretty much all that club has gone now apart from Jack. 

Edited by VillaJ100

This promotion reminds me of 1974/5 and the wise words of my Dad (RIP)

I was about 11 at the time and really getting into villa. I had never known us in the top division - I couldn't quite believe it 

I asked my Dad if he expected us to get relegated the following season  I still remember his exact words

"No - even if they do they will come straight back up again - the potential is there"

Profound words indeed in view of what followed.

Thats how I feel now -  the club seems to know where it is at and what to do.

• Like 3

Next season will be interesting for sure. Four of the last five playoff winners have gone straight back down which isn't a good omen, but we have strong finances and good football men in charge, plus it's fair to say we're a bigger club than the likes of Fulham, Norwich, QPR, Hull and Huddersfield. In Huddersfield case, it was their first ever season of PL football if I'm not mistaken. 

We went down because we were run extremely badly and Lerner's sole aim was to survive the last five seasons he was there. Our new owners will have bolder ambitions as they have said so themselves. Recruitment will be key - we shouldn't fritter away lots of money like Fulham did, but at the same time we do need to spend and improve our team, that much is clear. And good players cost money. We may well need to spend £30mil minimum on a couple of players, but at the same time bargains like McGinn are around.

Sides like Leicester and Wolves who went up recently are now established top half teams, we need to be aiming to get to their level at the minimum.  

I think that the top 6 teams plus Everton, Wolves, West Ham and Leicester are all gonna be tough to beat next season, but the bottom half teams are all pretty average. Bournemouth can be good but can also be awful, esp defensively. Sides like Southampton, Burnley and Brighton aren't great, Newcastle have off the field problems (new investment will help), and Watford can be got at. The two promoted sides, Norwich and Sheff Utd, don't scare me either. Palace are unpredictable and have some good players but have also lost to some really poor teams this season. All in all, if we invest well, we can compete against those teams in my opinion. Our aim should be to finish 11th or 12th but of course getting to 40 points is the priority.

Edited by VillaFaninLondon

9 hours ago, Wezbid said:

It's been nice playing good football and winning plenty of games in the Championship. It's such an under-valued league. Most clubs would put up a good fight in most top European leagues imo. 

That said, the joy of swiping wins against the 'big boys' is also a lovely feeling. If our European scouting is on point then with the money now available then there's no reason why we can't see some really talented players arrive on top of what we've already got. 

Despite the few years away, I would like to think we have more pulling power than the likes of Bournemouth, Brighton and Burnley. Those clubs have a bit of a ceiling whereas Villa have far more potential. 

Even in defeats, the standard of football on show should be quality, if not as entertaining as the mentalness that the Championship could deliver at times. 

With Smith's style of play and clear ability to improve players from when he/they first get their hands on them then even if the season is a bit of a 13/14th place meh then there's always the pleasure in seeing players develop and the hope of closing the gap on the top teams season on season. 

Plus just having mad transfer links back will be fun. 

Oh yeah, having Villa players to choose from in fantasy football again 🤔

Bournemouth, Burnley, sure, but Brighton are a very attractive offer, state of the art stadium and training facilities, and buzzing city, London by the sea if you will, I think Brighton are going to be a prem team for some time to come.

28 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Next season will be interesting for sure. Four of the last five playoff winners have gone straight back down which isn't a good omen, but we have strong finances and good football men in charge, plus it's fair to say we're a bigger club than the likes of Fulham, Norwich, QPR, Hull and Huddersfield. In Huddersfield case, it was their first ever season of PL football if I'm not mistaken. 

We went down because we were run extremely badly and Lerner's sole aim was to survive the last five seasons he was there. Our new owners will have bolder ambitions as they have said so themselves. Recruitment will be key - we shouldn't fritter away lots of money like Fulham did, but at the same time we do need to spend and improve our team, that much is clear. And good players cost money. We may well need to spend £30mil minimum on a couple of players, but at the same time bargains like McGinn are around.

Sides like Leicester and Wolves who went up recently are now established top half teams, we need to be aiming to get to their level at the minimum.  

I think that the top 6 teams plus Everton, Wolves, West Ham and Leicester are all gonna be tough to beat next season, but the bottom half teams are all pretty average. Bournemouth can be good but can also be awful, esp defensively. Sides like Southampton, Burnley and Brighton aren't great, Newcastle have off the field problems (new investment will help), and Watford can be got at. The two promoted sides, Norwich and Sheff Utd, don't scare me either. Palace are unpredictable and have some good players but have also lost to some really poor teams this season. All in all, if we invest well, we can compete against those teams in my opinion. Our aim should be to finish 11th or 12th but of course getting to 40 points is the priority.

I wouldn’t say Wolves are established, it’s only been one season!

So so relieved our scores and table are now printed in large and bold text in newspapers.  My eyes aren't what they used to be. 

• Haha 2

finally we're back into relevance! it feels so weird being back and talking about premier league again and having fixtures with the top dogs. finally we'll be shown in sports bars again without having to ask beforehand if they can find a stream for the match. friends who support the likes of man u, arsenal, spurs, liverpool etc will be talking about us and crying when we scalp them. we will know who are the best players in each team in the top level again, I have not had a clue for these past three years. I feel much more humble going back into the PL, all these other years I got so used to being in it that it never crossed my mind that we would be playing in the championship. Ever. now it feels like we truly earned it and the ball is in our park. let's survive, improve, improve some more and smash the bloody thing in a couple of years! I'm optimistic.

Edited by osmark86
  • Like 3

So how many home games sell out next season? I predict the first 4 or 5 sell out regardless and after that it depends how we are getting on.  If we're doing well the sell outs continue unless it's Bournemouth or something but still very high attendance. 

If we start to struggle attendances tail off and only sell out the top 6 and Wolves. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

We say that, but look at Wolves. With the right buys, we may surprise even ourselves. 

Wolves went up with 23 more points and a team clearly far too good for the league, with an agent sending players far too good for them in their direction. You never know, but I wouldn't be looking at Wolves and thinking that could be us next year. It will take a good few years to get your squad up to the right level.

Congrats by the way.