Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's played because it was played after our first away win in over a year. It was a massive sigh of relief and felt like, at the time, the bottom of the slide and the start of the climb back to where we were. I'd argue it still was even though we've had to change the manager and the owners in that time.

I love it. I don't care if it's supposedly a Man City songs. The best song/club associations aren't planned. This is a perfect example of something just happening and the club rolling with it.

Yeah, this. In the 60s every club had chants based on Beatles songs, they weren't exclusively owned by Liverpool and Everton. 

• Like 2

I'm quietly optimistic about our first year back in the PL. The players will get a pre-season under Smith which they didn't get last season, and we will have better quality players in the squad. We may have finished 3rd, but IMO we were the best team in the Championship, and those players will be a better team next season.

Without knowing the final squad I think we can finish as high as 10-12th. It's not going to be easy but I have faith in the club, the players and coaching staff.

34 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'd be happy to start next season with: 

GK: Steer/Kalinic 

RB: Guilbert

CB: Tuanzebe

CB: Mings

LB: Hause/new signing

DCM: new signing

CM: Grealish

CM: McGinn

LM: El Ghazi

RM: new signing

CF: Abraham/new signing 

Can’t see us getting Abraham or Axel. Agree with the rest in terms of a first 11.

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The problem is pretty much every top flight teams wants to play this way these days. Signings the right players is crucial. 

I’m looking at the job Suso did at Atletico Madrid to help get them back where they belong and hoping we can do something similar. 

Edit: relatively speaking of course. I’m not expecting us to be champions jus yet.

I’m thinking more humbly of how teams like Watford and Bournemouth have survived and flourished in the top flight.

• Like 1

Just now, briny_ear said:

I’m thinking more humbly of how teams like Watford and Bournemouth have survived and flourished in the top flight.

Yeah that too.  My Atletico example was down to the fact they turned a lot of unknowns or good players in to stars. They were a big club struggling for several years which included relegation.  They also had to sell their best players each season. 

Their wage bill the season they won the league was lower than ours the season we got relegated. 

Its comforting to know our DOF played a part in where they are today. 

4 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

If anyone wants to suggest a more suitable song that everyone knows the words to and doesn’t have the feel of being chosen by committee, then good luck.

'We are the Cheeky Girls'

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Yep.

It of course arrived following our first away win in over a year, played over the tannoy and the Villa supporters joining in.

If people don’t like it, fair enough. But the song summed up where we were as a club, people know the words and crucially it happened naturally and spontaneously. The way football throws up these moments every now and then.

If anyone wants to suggest a more suitable song that everyone knows the words to and doesn’t have the feel of being chosen by committee, then good luck.

The truth is Villa adopting this song is more real than most people imagine.It is not contrived, it wasn’t thought up or given to us by anyone.....

In that moment after the win a Reading we took it and made it our own.

I look forward to singing it at the Champions League final one day 😉

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Yep.

It of course arrived following our first away win in over a year, played over the tannoy and the Villa supporters joining in.

If people don’t like it, fair enough. But the song summed up where we were as a club, people know the words and crucially it happened naturally and spontaneously. The way football throws up these moments every now and then.

It did, and it was also around when we last won the League Cup. I know it’s been on my pre match music list since then.

• Like 1

Winning the playoff final has now created that culture and enhanced the togetherness of this squad. Something that we did not have in the dressing room for the past decade.

There is now a culture at Aston Villa football club. When the new players step foot on Bodymoor Heath players like Mcginn, Grealish and hopefully Mings will be reminding them that it is a privilege to play for this club.

Quality will help us during the relegation battle but more importantly our dressing room spirit will make us overcome the battle.

To maintain this continuity I think that it’s a must that we sign at least 3 of our loan signings.

This will help our new signings gel into our squad.

4 hours ago, QldVilla said:

I'm quietly optimistic about our first year back in the PL. The players will get a pre-season under Smith which they didn't get last season, and we will have better quality players in the squad. We may have finished 3rd, but IMO we were the best team in the Championship, and those players will be a better team next season.

Without knowing the final squad I think we can finish as high as 10-12th. It's not going to be easy but I have faith in the club, the players and coaching staff.

We may have finished 3rd......

Or we may have finished 5th! 😀

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Yeah, this. In the 60s every club had chants based on Beatles songs, they weren't exclusively owned by Liverpool and Everton. 

Let It Be will you.  That was Yesterday. 

Don't Let Me Down like this again.  We can't just Get Back to those times.  We Can Work It Out. I think we should start a Revolution before we all get a Ticket To Ride down The Long and Winding Road back to those days. 

• Haha 1

Pos Team
[   ]
Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts Qualification or relegation
1 Arsenal 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Qualification for the Champions League group stage
2 Aston Villa 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
3 Bournemouth 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
4 Brighton & Hove Albion 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
5 Burnley 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Qualification for the Europa League group stage
6 Chelsea 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0  
7 Crystal Palace 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
8 Everton 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
9 Leicester City 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
10 Liverpool 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
11 Manchester City 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
12 Manchester United 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
13 Newcastle United 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
14 Norwich City 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
15 Sheffield United 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
16 Southampton 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
17 Tottenham Hotspur 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
18 Watford 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Relegation to the EFL Championship                    

19 West Ham United 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
20 Wolverhampton Wanderers 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Ooh, nice. 

😍

48 minutes ago, robby b said:
Pos Team
[   ]
Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts Qualification or relegation
1 Arsenal 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Qualification for the Champions League group stage
2 Aston Villa 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
3 Bournemouth 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
4 Brighton & Hove Albion 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
5 Burnley 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Qualification for the Europa League group stage
6 Chelsea 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0  
7 Crystal Palace 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
8 Everton 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
9 Leicester City 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
10 Liverpool 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
11 Manchester City 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
12 Manchester United 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
13 Newcastle United 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
14 Norwich City 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
15 Sheffield United 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
16 Southampton 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
17 Tottenham Hotspur 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
18 Watford 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Relegation to the EFL Championship                    

19 West Ham United 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
20 Wolverhampton Wanderers 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Ooh, nice. 

😍

We're actually third because Bournemouth are called AFC Bournemouth. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I agree our last 4 years in the Prem was nothing short of depressing to watch, i enjoyed the Championship alot more tbh.

The 90s were pretty good. Tough ask but with clever signings and good management from the head coach and ownership it could be achieved again in the future.

7 hours ago, briny_ear said:

We may have finished 3rd......

Or we may have finished 5th! 😀

Tomato... tomato....we finished 5th or we were the 3rd team to go up. We were the best of the rest 3rd.