Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

clever signings and good management from the head coach and ownership it could be achieved again in the future.

Absolutely this. As it has always been. Sure big money can work out but equally and much of the time it doesn't. In the prem, that extra bit of nous makes all the difference - Southampton showed everyone the way - then they had to sell their best players - if we can get to their level then the difference for us is we won't let players go so easy.  

• Like 2

We need to keep our heads and remember this is a big step. It's important we get the right players in, current players adapt quickly, and we don't turn against the managet WHEN things go wrong.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ender4 said:

And expectations need to be realistic when we’re possibly 19th after 10 games played.

17th is our target for this season, anything higher is just a bonus.

Want it a bit higher than that. 17th will feel like all those Lambert seasons, lots of defeats, struggling to score, plenty of weeks in bottom 3 and obviously nerve shredding games in the final weeks.

I'd like things a bit calmer. With some clever signings I think 11-14th is a realistic finish. Top half would be fantastic.

11 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

No 1st is our target, Smith just confirmed it in a recent interview

It's true, I heard that too and great to hear. Otherwise what's the point in making up the numbers (so he said).

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

And expectations need to be realistic when we’re possibly 19th after 10 games played.

17th is our target for this season, anything higher is just a bonus.

My target is to have hair left by next May so I'm shooting for 14th.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

No 1st is our target, Smith just confirmed it in a recent interview

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

It's true, I heard that too and great to hear. Otherwise what's the point in making up the numbers (so he said).

Brilliant if true, but I will believe it when I see it.

I refuse to get carried away by this kind of talk, especially after Richard Fitzgerald announced in 2006 we would be signing world class players, only for us to do a U turn and not actually see any world class players.

Reminds me a little of the Boris Johnson and the NHS bus campaign fiasco at the start of Brexit.

3 hours ago, Hornso said:

Survival would be an achievement. Build from there.

For me also. Let's not set unrealistic goals and turn on the players when we are losing games as its going to be. Alit tougher to where we were last time in pl. I think it's better being underdogs at this stage as less pressure on us. 

I think there as some poor sides in this league excluding the promoted sides Palace, Brighton, Newcastle, Burnley and Bournemouth. 

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Want it a bit higher than that. 17th will feel like all those Lambert seasons, lots of defeats, struggling to score, plenty of weeks in bottom 3 and obviously nerve shredding games in the final weeks.

I'd like things a bit calmer. With some clever signings I think 11-14th is a realistic finish. Top half would be fantastic.

It will be like that mate. We will be absolutely battered in some games and will be hovering around the bottom most of the time. There's normally only about 5 point between 18th and 10th these days. We need to hope we win enough against the bottom half clubs to stay up

I like that fans are setting their sights realistically....but I think they are going to be very pleasantly surprised.

These owners are the real deal, and they are playing to Win.

Deano himself said the target is1st. 😉

I don’t think we are going into this with a plan for consolidation, I think they will be considerably more ambitious, with consolidation seen as a bare minimum.

They aren’t stupid, they will know exactly what they want. As will Deano. It will be steady, organic evolution, but at a pace.

Very exciting times ahead.

I think we will finish Top Half. Why ? Why won’t we struggle like many Play Off Promoted Clubs struggle ?

Because we are a revitalised big Club, not an ‘ up and comer’. This is a launch not an achievement. Because we have genuine financial clout, not just a promotion windfall. And those guys mean business. We can buy quality. Because we have a very very good Coach. Because we have Grealish. And because the Premier League is a League of Six and a League of 14, and we’ve nothing to fear in that 14.

Just opinion. Some will disagree. Some will caution against hyperbole and high demands ( please don’t I’m not daft !).

But I think we are in for our most exciting Season since Sir Brian in 1995.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I like that fans are setting their sights realistically....but I think they are going to be very pleasantly surprised.

These owners are the real deal, and they are playing to Win.

Deano himself said the target is1st. 😉

I don’t think we are going into this with a plan for consolidation, I think they will be considerably more ambitious, with consolidation seen as a bare minimum.

They aren’t stupid, they will know exactly what they want. As will Deano. It will be steady, organic evolution, but at a pace.

Very exciting times ahead.

I think we will finish Top Half. Why ? Why won’t we struggle like many Play Off Promoted Clubs struggle ?

Because we are a revitalised big Club, not an ‘ up and comer’. This is a launch not an achievement. Because we have genuine financial clout, not just a promotion windfall. And those guys mean business. We can buy quality. Because we have a very very good Coach. Because we have Grealish. And because the Premier League is a League of Six and a League of 14, and we’ve nothing to fear in that 14.

Just opinion. Some will disagree. Some will caution against hyperbole and high demands ( please don’t I’m not daft !).

But I think we are in for our most exciting Season since Sir Brian in 1995.

My target is to bed Elizabeth Olsen, but realistically I'll more likely bed a 40 year old red head milf I meet in Spoons.

10 minutes ago, Dick said:

My target is to bed Elizabeth Olsen, but realistically I'll more likely bed a 40 year old red head milf I meet in Spoons.

Yeah but then you can build on that gradually. Maybe you need to be more like Smith and have “40 people who work in the background doing all the heavy lifting” and then you’re just the figure head for the bedding of Olsen. 

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

For me also. Let's not set unrealistic goals and turn on the players when we are losing games as its going to be. Alit tougher to where we were last time in pl. I think it's better being underdogs at this stage as less pressure on us. 

I think there as some poor sides in this league excluding the promoted sides Palace, Brighton, Newcastle, Burnley and Bournemouth. 

Southampton, possibly West Ham, Wolves might suffer second season syndrome, then Leicester, so basically every team except the top 6 and Everton are all in for a relegation scrap next season. 

• Like 1

Think people need to realise the difference between the ambition and realism of what people are posting.

I thought what DS said was spot on too and that surely is our ambition and aim for the future.  

People saying to finish as high as possible to avoid the danger of relegation is also correct and is what everyone wants but the realism for our position now is that a 17th place finish will be more then acceptable as we continue to build for the future.

Edited by New_Hope
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, New_Hope said:

Think people need to realise the difference between the ambition and realism of what people are posting.

I thought what DS said was spot on too and that surely is our ambition and aim for the future.  

People saying to finish as high as possible to avoid the danger of relegation is also correct and is what everyone wants but the realism for our position now is that a 17th place finish will be more then acceptable as we continue to build for the future.

exactly. 

ambition this season is to survive if possible.  

History suggests that its unlikely we survive, but we will try and subvert expectations by finishing 17th.

29 minutes ago, New_Hope said:

I don’t think “people need to realise”.....this suggests that we aren’t all aware of the potential perils as well as the potential triumphs. 

Ive not spoken to a single fan who isn’t aware of the pluses and minuses. That doesn’t make those who see our chances of doing well unrealistic, just optimistic 🙂