Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

9 minutes ago, av1 said:

Although losing home advantage isn't great, it works both ways so may indeed help with our poor away form. 

Yes but in case of Germany 

Bayern and Dortmund at top of league fighting for title , Bayern play home game backed by home fans Dortmund play home game with no fans ..its not really fair at all.Teams have no fans in stadium has been a punishment for years now its allowed and no allowance is made for how this disadvantages the team.

• Like 3

Just now, nick76 said:

Yeah if we had equal number of home games to away games but we don’t.  Relegation could go down to one point or even goal difference so losing a slight advantage anywhere is a big loss.

Oh I agree, just saying that we may gain a point or 2 away aswell which we may not have got in normal circumstances. 

Just now, Nabby said:

Yes but in case of Germany 

Bayern and Dortmund at top of league fighting for title , Bayern play home game backed by home fans Dortmund play home game with no fans ..its not really fair at all.Teams have no fans in stadium has been a punishment for years now its allowed and no allowance is made for how this disadvantages the team.

I'm not saying that it's fair or ideal, just that it may give us a slight advantage away, in the same way it disadvantages us at home. 

11 minutes ago, av1 said:

Oh I agree, just saying that we may gain a point or 2 away aswell which we may not have got in normal circumstances. 

Fair enough.  I think until it starts we just dont know how it going to go.  We only have a few rounds from Germany to go on and that's different style of football anyway and different strengths to PL.  I just dont care now, get the season over with, hopefully we can play better.....to be fair I dont care if we play awful but scrape through lucky 1-0 wins for 3 games.....or knowing us 3-2 wins because we cant defend.  I dont care about playing better or well now, I just want enough points to survive, however that comes.  Beating Sheff Utd, could make a world of difference re confidence, ppg if it shuts down early again and or a number of other reasons.  IF we lose, so be it but however get go in the next 10 games I dont care about performance because it's a farce anyway, let's just get points.

3 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

My Starting 11 & bench for Sheffield Utd, not sure how many players they’ll allow on bench having increased allowance to 5 subs during a match;

.............................Nyland..........................

Guilbert.........Engels.....Mings......Targett

..........................Nakamba.........................

........McGinn.........Luiz.......Grealish..........

....................Samatta.......Davis..................

Bench; Reina, Vassilev, Ramsey, Konsa, Elmo,  Hause, Drinkwater, ElGhazi, Hourihane.

I agree, think two up top is the way to go!

Just now, Wainy316 said:

At the very least the break should allow the pervasive lack of confidence and defeatist mindset of the players to have reset.

or fester.....really grow some roots into their mind that they arent good enough, become uncontrollably concerned that fear that next time they step on the field it's just more defeat, more errors, more conceded goals. That they have had no time to fix it and night after night the torment gets worse during these lockdown weeks, they wake up in cold sweats in the early hours of the morning and think that they should give up and take on new careers, just anything to get away from this......

You're probably right though 🤣

Sorry, just Friday boredom setting in...........

• Haha 2

5 subs is a big advantage for the top clubs isn't it? Means weaker squads will be needing to compete for 90 mins against constantly fresh world class players. Liverpool/City etc could swap half the team and not have a drop in quality. Bottom half of the table can't do that.

3 hours ago, Nabby said:

Newcastle are shocking to watch and lowest in so many stats but yeah they look pretty safe as they don't concede to many and get a lot of draws.Our issue is we try and play an expansive game and get taken apart.I can't recall many games this season where we haven't conceded a high amount of chances , in fact taking games where we played 10 men even then the opposition had chances and in Watfords case scored.As a defensive unit we are a shambles all over.

Good for us if they have nothing to play for, we need to win up there and at home to Palace to have any chance of staying up I think. I know we could just win a couple of other games but given the strengths and weaknesses of our team we're more likely to win v those two than suddenly showing great mental strength v likes of Chelsea and Liverpool.

3 minutes ago, romavillan said:

5 subs is a big advantage for the top clubs isn't it? Means weaker squads will be needing to compete for 90 mins against constantly fresh world class players. Liverpool/City etc could swap half the team and not have a drop in quality. Bottom half of the table can't do that.

It's **** bullshit because it's blatantly unfair. To add this rule on top of the (understandable) no-fan rule is just making thing worse for us.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, romavillan said:

God can see this forum exploding if we now have five sub options and DS still dosen't use any of them until the 70th minute.:lol:

I guess with McGinn back Luiz will go back to being an impact sub which has been some of his best performances this season, Drinkwater will inevitably be used to protect leads or Hourihane will be put on if we're dominating possesion v a Newcastle/Palace.

One thing from Bundesliga is the amount of late goals going in. Pretty understandble teams are flagging from 70th minute mark with lack of fitness and that's one thing we aren't great at considering we were clinging on for a point v Spurs for last 20 minutes so we will certainly be needing all five subs to keep us fresh in the first few games I think.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

God can see this forum exploding if we now have five sub options and DS still dosen't use any of them until the 70th minute.:lol:

I guess with McGinn back Luiz will go back to being an impact sub which has been some of his best performances this season, Drinkwater will inevitably be used to protect leads or Hourihane will be put on if we're dominating possesion v a Newcastle/Palace.

One thing from Bundesliga is the amount of late goals going in. Pretty understandble teams are flagging from 70th minute mark with lack of fitness and that's one thing we aren't great at considering we were clinging on for a point v Spurs for last 20 minutes so we will certainly be needing all five subs to keep us fresh in the first few games I think.

Our problem is we don't have 2 PL level players in every outfield position. We're a way off that so when we do get tired the gulf in class is just going to get bigger when the top teams can roll out 5 world class players and we have to make changes that weaken our team...

• Like 1

By that I think you mean just Man. City and Liverpool and we've already played Man. City twice.

Chelsea for most of this season have had mostly kids and likes of Pedro and Batsuyhai on bench. They will be missing  Kante and Jorginho v us so will be youthful midfield which will mean quite a weak bench.

For most of this season Man. United and Arsenal have been putting out mediocre 11s out compared to their history so I don't really see why we should be biting nails at likes of Jesse Lingard and Pereria more likely to come on (although with our history against them Lingard will probably score a 15 minute hat-trick as they come back from 2 down).

We need to get our fitness up and when we start tiring make sure DS makes good use of his subs which has been a problem all season. Make sure we bring on one defensive minded player at least but always make sure we can hold it up when the ball is cleared (Davis) and we also have someone capable of an out ball. If we're going to pack out midfield El Ghazi could well be an impact sub for the last few games so he could do o.k in that role.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

No doubt they will announce a championship restart as well. They have announced a restart for the FA cup.

in fact I just read the championship is likely to restart the 20th June

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, PaulC said:

No doubt they will announce a championship restart as well. They have announced a restart for the FA cup.

Another 108 games where there need to be medical staff at hand and so on.

Will they be showing them on the telly or is it no media or coverage at all?

10 minutes ago, PaulC said:

After all their complaining I'd love it if Leeds somehow managed to cock it up 

59 minutes ago, PaulC said:

When you're desperately trying to finish the league without further interruptions, to prise a competition nobody really cares about into an already hectic schedule is just plain daft. 

I presume that will mean some teams playing in the league on quarter finals weekend and others not? So we're back to square one with teams potentially in danger of going down having played less games, opening up a ppg scenario again.

All seems very unnecessary in the current context.

3 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

So does the prem still thinks this is a good idea?

This pandemic has emphasized the fact, but we have all known for quite some time that the PL is only interested in one thing.