Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

Messi and Lewandowski will be queuing up to play for Bruce ;) 

Newcastle have always had a massive fan base but never won much. Well not in the last 50:60 years anyway. Don’t think they can attract players up there in the northeast like they can in London and the north west 

Edited by PaulC

2 hours ago, stewiek2 said:

And yet poor paupers Liverpool sit 25 points top. It's not how much you have, it's what you do with it that matters.

Spot on. We’ve consistently spent more than our league position reflects. Learner initially pumped in more than enough to get us fourth. Where he failed was to not have a proper football business structure in place and left MON and his inflated ego to do what he wanted. 

Money without brains might get you some successful football players. Money with brains gets you a successful football club. 

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

Spot on. We’ve consistently spent more than our league position reflects. Learner initially pumped in more than enough to get us fourth. Where he failed was to not have a proper football business structure in place and left MON and his inflated ego to do what he wanted. 

Money without brains might get you some successful football players. Money with brains gets you a successful football club. 

Mark Hughes the prime example, twice he had blank chequebook at City and QPR and twice he wasted big money

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

You would have thought with oil being phased out over the next decade or so these Middle Eastern money men would be more interested in investing in stable, profitable ventures and not pissing their money away on football clubs. 

Once the multi billionaire Arabs decide to exit in 10 - 15 years or so there is no one else left with that sort of money to go buying clubs for hundreds of millions.  Unless the American tech multi billionaires decide to get involved but they seem to be more sensible than that. 

Mate, every time I see this, I wonder if people don't realise alot of these countries have spent Megabucks diversifying their economies. By the time "The oil runs out" they will still be way ahead of most.

56 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Mark Hughes the prime example, twice he had blank chequebook at City and QPR and twice he wasted big money

So they f*cked Hughes off, kept throwing money at it with different managers until it worked, as my post earlier.

4 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Doesn’t matter how much personal wealth the owners have FFP still applies. 

Well, FFP one could argue is without teeth. Personally I think its a good thing, nobody wants their club to stop existing because its new owners borrowed too much. 

2 hours ago, meregreen said:

Doesn’t matter how much personal wealth the owners have FFP still applies. 

It''s seems somewhat flexiable in the PL as well , Everton have spent 450 mil on players got no where and have just agreed a 30 mil deal for a new defender ...it's our worry with going back down and FFP in the EFL which has hindered us.If anything EFL FFP is the one that will end up being sidelined as its the loss's clubs are going to take on board due to lack of games being played is going to be huge 

35 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Me too; sadly that's not what the FFP rules prevent.

When I read the FFP rules, I still think whoever did it was drunk or favouring big teams because they dont do what they say they meant to do, what the essence of the FFP rules were supposed to be.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

See with the Vidal link they seem to be targeting Max Allegri as next manager.

Really can't see him going there but that would certainly be a managerial coup for them.

All well and good but I still Allegri is a very unproven manager at building things. Juventus team was handed to him by Conte and they arguably underachieved in Europe. Milan were 11th in January when he was sacked.

Newcastle fans will also be disappointed as doesnt play the swashbuckling Newcastle way ;)

11 minutes ago, nick76 said:

When I read the FFP rules, I still think whoever did it was drunk or favouring big teams because they dont do what they say they meant to do, what the essence of the FFP rules were supposed to be.

No one was drunk it was ALWAYS conceived to keep the status quo and stop Mega Rich owners breaking up the order of things ..it came in after the City and PSG purchases.

In Newcastle case with money behind them , the Reuben brothers worth 18bil have a 10% stake as well they will follow Everton in spending big amounts.The crux of it is if they can get champs league within 3 years the loss's are judged against they will be fine...of course that was our plan under Lerner and it failed for us .Also likely to find a depressed market to deal in.

• Like 2

Ashley has always ran a very tight ship by all accounts are in a very healthy position financially as far as FFP is concerned. Sort of gutted we’ve been trumped once again by an oil Country. But only time will tell.

Everything NSWE have done so far has been above criticism for me and we have 3 very astute minds running us so fingers crossed, we can stay up and continue to fine tune, step up the quality, and push onwards and upwards!

• Like 1

Yep FFP was brought into stop teams that arent United/Liverpool or even Arsenal from spending money though Wenger never did anyway. Just like the way they changed the academy system so the big teams can hoover up talent

• Like 2