Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

Playing behind closed doors is fairer than just voiding the season after 29 games, the only reason people are saying otherwise is because of our position, if we had a chance of qualifying for europe with nine games to go no doubt people would be saying different, or if we were still in the championship with a chance of promotion, or even if we were just midtable in premier league. And playing behind closed doors is certainly fairer than just relegating the bottom three as the table stands now, or working out the table based on average points per game.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Zatman said:

Took City 3 seasons to even qualify for Champions League and they had a better base and weaker competition compared to now

Leicester could finish 2nd , Shef United or Wolves could make the top 4 ..I think the league is weaker than its been for a while United / Arsenal and Chelsea not as strong as they where then.

Dutch PM says no Football until Sept 

18 minutes ago, useless said:

Playing behind closed doors is fairer than just voiding the season after 29 games, the only reason people are saying otherwise is because of our position, if we had a chance of qualifying for europe with nine games to go no doubt people would be saying different, or if we were still in the championship with a chance of promotion, or even if we were just midtable in premier league. And playing behind closed doors is certainly fairer than just relegating the bottom three as the table stands now, or working out the table based on average points per game.

But its not fairer, why should teams around us be allowed the advantage to play an extra home game or 2 in front of there own fans. Takes away any advantage we had as home team

• Like 2

Well obviously it's not completely fair, ideally from the game's point of view we'd just complete the season as normal, the closest we can hope to get to that is completeing it behind closed doors, which when you look at it without bias is fairer than voiding the season after 29 games, or just relegating the current bottom three, which is far more likely to happen than the season being null and voided, something people don't seem to be grasping. I'd null and void it myself, but can't pretend that that's the fairest thing to do.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, useless said:

Playing behind closed doors ignores the purpose of football. That tribalistic atmospheric passion & emotion affects every player intrinsically. It's more than "a twelfth man". It's the whole meaning of football. Why did Ranieri win the League with Leicester? The fans made it happen, through atmospheric passion. Villa fans just don't get that. I wish I was a geordie. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, scarboro_villan said:

Playing behind closed doors ignores the purpose of football. That tribalistic atmospheric passion & emotion affects every player intrinsically. It's more than "a twelfth man". It's the whole meaning of football. Why did Ranieri win the League with Leicester? The fans made it happen, through atmospheric passion. Villa fans just don't get that. I wish I was a geordie. 

What's with the plural ?

42 minutes ago, Nabby said:

Leicester could finish 2nd , Shef United or Wolves could make the top 4 ..I think the league is weaker than its been for a while United / Arsenal and Chelsea not as strong as they where then.

Dutch PM says no Football until Sept 

Netherlands are beginning to plateau where as we are still accruing high death rates.

If that's the case no football until September there how can they finish the league, it's impossible. Which also means the same for the PL and the UK.

5 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Netherlands are beginning to plateau where as we are still accruing high death rates.

If that's the case no football until September there how can they finish the league, it's impossible. Which also means the same for the PL and the UK.

Yes in theory. But £ rules the day. Nobody cares about Dutch football apart from the Dutch. The premier league is a global marketing  phenomenon that happens to be in England. 

There are some really awkward things about this season that playing behind closed doors doesn't solve.

There's the 30th June and the effect that will have on things - imagine if Watford have a fixture scheduled for 1st July and at that point both of their first choice goalkeepers are out of contract - they'd be wanting to do everything in their power to move that fixture to 30th June so they could force those keepers to play. The contract change throws in all sorts of wrinkles - does Chelsea's new signing get to play for them on the 1st July, but not on 30th June - if not, who pays his wages while not letting him do his job?

The football calendar is the biggest influence though - UEFA have put forward their calendar of dates in order to fit everything in and what's noticeable is that there is next to no rest for any of the top players until the summer of 2023. It's ridiculously hectic because of the addition of the 2021 Euros and the stupid world cup in 2022.

Premier league clubs and managers are going to react to that in two ways:

1. They'll pull players out of internationals left right and centre.
  2. They'll play weakened teams - If we start the season on the 1st June and Liverpool win their first game while Man City lose, then Liverpool are Champions. I reckon Jurgen Klopp sends his first team squad on holiday for a month immediately. The team that played the cup game at Villa Park will complete the league season for Liverpool and Jurgen will gain a huge advantage for 2020-21 having rested his squad. The effect that would then have on other areas of the league could be profound - a desperate to win Sheffield United against Chelsea's youth team while full strength Spurs play full strength Wolves for a European place? Bournemouth travelling to Anfield needing to beat a Liverpool team with an average age of seventeen in order to stay up? It'd be a nonsense.

I think it'll be very difficult to find a fair sporting way to end this season - I'm not sure that's the main driver of what we'll get, but I think "fairest" isn't going to be how this is judged by the people involved. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

I think seriously though they need to decide, either all next season behind closed doors or not at all.  I really do think it makes an advantage and it’s shown in cups with home advantage etc and neutral venue for final so neither side gets an advantage.

I get that - but I'd also like to get back to my seat in M5 as soon as I'm able - to be told in January that I can go to a cup game but not go to a league game for another eight months because it would give my team an advantage would be strange. I think they'll have to start the season behind closed doors but I think they'll have to open them as soon as they can. 

1 hour ago, scarboro_villan said:

The problem is if you just void it now then you're more than likely to have more than 12 games being played BCD when you start next season in August/September/October or whenever.

Kicking the can down the road as it is said on here.

Kicking the can down the road could also be referred to  as this persistent extension of the season.

At some point FIFA and the PL have to draw a line in the sand instead of changing dates every now and again.

One country may be able to play football in a month from now, another might be three months. Surely if none of the leagues can be completed during a similar time frame then things must be voided or abandoned. 

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

The problem is if you just void it now then you're more than likely to have more than 12 games being played BCD when you start next season in August/September/October or whenever.

Kicking the can down the road as it is said on here.

One thing I would say is that if you know about it in advance before the season it's not as bad as if you're suddenly thrown into the final weeks of a relegation fight with no home advantage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I get that - but I'd also like to get back to my seat in M5 as soon as I'm able - to be told in January that I can go to a cup game but not go to a league game for another eight months because it would give my team an advantage would be strange. I think they'll have to start the season behind closed doors but I think they'll have to open them as soon as they can. 

That’s as bad as finishing the season behind closed doors.  I know the times we are in but given what’s on the line in football terms, small advantages/disadvantages make a huge difference.  Relegations are by one point or goal difference, so any advantage is crucial.  Playing different environments early season compared to late season is impacting the game.

plus when are we likely to see crowds of 40k again if a vaccine is twelve months away, massed produced and available to the likes of you and I.  I mean we are a couple of months into this and we haven’t got many tests for those who need it, nevermind general use so god only knows how long re the vaccine.

29 minutes ago, nick76 said:

That’s as bad as finishing the season behind closed doors.  I know the times we are in but given what’s on the line in football terms, small advantages/disadvantages make a huge difference.  Relegations are by one point or goal difference, so any advantage is crucial.  Playing different environments early season compared to late season is impacting the game.

plus when are we likely to see crowds of 40k again if a vaccine is twelve months away, massed produced and available to the likes of you and I.  I mean we are a couple of months into this and we haven’t got many tests for those who need it, nevermind general use so god only knows how long re the vaccine.

As above, the only fair way to have next season would be to play it all BCD, assuming that it starts that way (which it will have to). However, that's just simply not a viable solution considering the required income from match days, the entertainment and fan aspect of the PL product for TV audiences and jobs for non-playing staff, just to name the first few things that come to my head. Secondly, I think it is still somewhat fairer to start the season knowing that it will be BCD for some time rather than it suddenly being a forced rule change near to the end of the season. After all, I'm sure that the PL will have to publish a set of rules for next season that provides contingencies for every conceivable scenario, and that this will have to be agreed upon by at least 14 clubs.

Edited by fightoffyour

4 hours ago, PaulC said:

Just wonder whether home advantage  is as much about the fans or the familiarity of the stadium and pitch 

I think it's a combination of all of these. What is beyond doubt is that there is an advantage in playing at home. If the season ended with us playing less home games than other relegation contenders, or we played more home games than any of the other relegation rivals, either behind closed doors or on a neutral ground, then we would be at a clear disadvantage. 

One of the problems with voiding the league and having a 22 team Premier League would be that it would be hard to fit the extra games in in what is probably going to be a truncated season.