Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

24 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Confindent against Sheff Utd then?

I honestly can't see how we can win that game

I can.  We have Jack...McGinn is back, Samatta has a few games under his belt.  Yes it will be hard and yes they will be favourites but no point going into a game like this feeling defeated before it starts.  They have been so much better this season than us but in a one off game, who knows! We know we can score but we also know we concede easy..

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, jim said:

Premier League have followed the EFL season will be completed, no set date as to when. 

Total lack of leadership as usual....just money grabbing pigs while in a pandemic

That decision looks very much like previous decisions - a reiteration of wanting to complete the league. That they reffered to discussing cut-off dates as not being appropriate at the moment, rather does look like more can kicking. June 30th is an important date - at that point it'll be individual players and agents wanting moves and shirt sponsors all Vs the league. Whether they say it now or not - June 30th is always going to be the end date.  

8 minutes ago, Jareth said:

That decision looks very much like previous decisions - a reiteration of wanting to complete the league. That they reffered to discussing cut-off dates as not being appropriate at the moment, rather does look like more can kicking. June 30th is an important date - at that point it'll be individual players and agents wanting moves and shirt sponsors all Vs the league. Whether they say it now or not - June 30th is always going to be the end date.  

Players contracts maybe a stumbling block but I don't think will stop the season from finishing beyond June 30th. Its just an obstacle same as sponsorship.  More of a problem for the Premier League is not finishing the season as clubs would have to pay  762 million back  to tv companies. 

Edited by PaulC

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Players contracts maybe a stumbling block but I don't think will stop the season from finishing beyond June 30th. Its just an obstacle same as sponsorship.  More of a problem for the Premier League is not finishing the season as clubs would have to pay something  762 million back  to tv companies. 

For sure - but how many players are going to leave their clubs on 30th June? It will hit some squads quite hard. I don't see how it's a level playing field...

• Like 2

Just now, Jareth said:

For sure - but how many players are going to leave their clubs on 30th June? It will hit some squads quite hard. I don't see how it's a level playing field...

Of course but how are they going to pay back that money if they don't. Sky and BT will hold back on payments next season. 

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Sky and BT will hold back on payments next season. 

Sky already said they have no intention of asking for a refund - whatever the dealings behind that I imagine it's something along the lines of preferential treatment in future rights packages - there are plenty who want the business like Amazon and DAZN who are headed to the UK...

4 minutes ago, Jareth said:

57 apparently. Not counting anyone who might have a transfer done.

The 57 Premier League players who can walk out of their clubs on July 1

The FIFA coronavirus working group has recommended contracts be extended until after the current campaign is concluded, but this will have to be done case-by-case, and the issue will be high on the agenda at Friday's Premier League meeting.

So who are the 57 Premier League players that could be faced with this dilemma? Sky Sports News has built this conclusive list and has attempted to find out what the future may hold for each player...

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/11974285/the-57-premier-league-players-who-can-walk-out-of-their-clubs-on-july-1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Sky already said they have no intention of asking for a refund - whatever the dealings behind that I imagine it's something along the lines of preferential treatment in future rights packages - there are plenty who want the business like Amazon and DAZN who are headed to the UK...

Ok they will probably just get a lower deal then. Puts sky in a very good negotiating position. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AXD said:

Are we to lose the mighty Baston in a few weeks? How can this be? How will we cope?

:D 

Our striker options won't be great thou with Baston and Davis potentially leaving and Wesley likely 6 months away from playing.

If Samatta gets sick or injured we'll be forced to play Hogan who thankfully will be back :(

17 minutes ago, Silent_Bob said:

That list from Sky doesn't include loans. We will also lose Drinkwater and Reina.

Yeah it's only players who's regular contracts are expiring.

Newcastle lose 11 players if you include loans. Granted a lot of them are not high profile.

Bournemouth also lose a bunch.

Edited by sne

54 minutes ago, Jareth said:

That’s pretty much how I read it as well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Confindent against Sheff Utd then?

I honestly can't see how we can win that game

What, seriously? At home too. Sheff United win about one game in three. They've been made to look good by the crapness of the rest of the league.

The form of some teams may well be completely different when we return, such is the size of the break that has been had by all that it will almost feel like a new season, and just as with new season there's no guaranteeing that all teams including Sheffield United will be as good as they were when it starts again. Besides our game against them might be labelled as our 'game in hand' but our chances of survial don't rest on that game alone, we have nine other games to play as well, in theory you could label anyone of them as our game in hand, it doesn't really matter we just need to take enough points from the ten games we have left to play.

Edited by useless
  • Like 4