Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

6 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Meanwhile.... Newcastle are being taken over by a government fund worth over 10 times a Man City ffs.

Everytime we get new owners, with dosh, and I start seeing where we could possibly get in amongst the top 6 etc.... Another of our direct rivals gazump us ffs.

Deja Vu with us and Lerner, Man City with Abu Dhabi 🙄🤦🏾‍♂️

23 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

But they cannot spend all that money without breaking FFP and you still have to convince players to live in Newcastle.

• Like 3

Do you not think FFP will be abolished, at least temporarily when football returns? I mean its a bit strange to buy a football club when there is no football for the forseeable future? Ashley finally deciding to collect now that finances have crashed. Dont think the PL have much choice but to relax the laws surrounding what can be spent now. At least we’ll also be in a strong position in that respect with our ownership, when things do return.

33 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

But they cannot spend all that money without breaking FFP and you still have to convince players to live in Newcastle.

You mean impending the Billion Pound sponsorship from Saudi Aramco won't be realistic value for Newcastle? 🤔🤦🏾‍♂️

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Also, if you need any highlight that it's not all about the wealth of the owners, you'll notice Liverpool are missing from the 'rich list' yet easily this seasons best team

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

Messi and Lewandowski will be queuing up to play for Bruce ;) 

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Messi and Lewandowski will be queuing up to play for Bruce ;) 

How unlucky would he be, to get a club with stinking rich owners again, only to be sacked?

I can see them wanting to go the superstar manager route, Pochettino etc defon ain't out of reach for them anymore.

People point out "FFP" , however fail to acknowledge off the record "handshakes" and percs.

PSG with Neymar for example, random Airline endorsements etc.

When you've got enough power and money, there is always a way.

There will be a few top players who might suddenly feel like they need a "new challenge" and want to be a part of an interesting "project".

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

How unlucky would he be, to get a club with stinking rich owners again, only to be sacked?

I can see them wanting to go the superstar manager route, Pochettino etc defon ain't out of reach for them anymore.

People point out "FFP" , however fail to acknowledge off the record "handshakes" and percs.

PSG with Neymar for example, random Airline endorsements etc.

When you've got enough power and money, there is always a way.

There will be a few top players who might suddenly feel like they need a "new challenge" and want to be a part of an interesting "project".

Just like city who got a ban?

They wont be able to spend 200 or 300m a window withiut there being consequences for them.

I dont see why anyone would want to buy a football club while this crisis is going on. And i would not want my club owned by this murderer

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Just like city who got a ban?

They wont be able to spend 200 or 300m a window withiut there being consequences for them.

I dont see why anyone would want to buy a football club while this crisis is going on. And i would not want my club owned by this murderer

I doubt that a ban from Europe would worry Newcastle, they've not needed to renew their passports for more than a few years! 😃

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Meanwhile.... Newcastle are being taken over by a government fund worth over 10 times a Man City ffs.

Everytime we get new owners, with dosh, and I start seeing where we could possibly get in amongst the top 6 etc.... Another of our direct rivals gazump us ffs.

Deja Vu with us and Lerner, Man City with Abu Dhabi 🙄🤦🏾‍♂️

I heard that Ashley had to borrow the intermediary £150m to enable the deal to happen. If that was the case (& I heard it on Talksport, so that's open to question) then does that bring into doubt how and whether money will flow upstream towards Newcastle?  

I take it the fit and proper test, will be restricted to a quick look at the size of the wallet in question, rather than on the wider "fit and proper" test of the owners themselves and where their fortune has come from, along with in what circumstances. Cash is king for the PL after all. 

You are correct, there is more than a touch of deja vu here and it won't make our plans for PL domination any easier.😉

• Like 1

You would have thought with oil being phased out over the next decade or so these Middle Eastern money men would be more interested in investing in stable, profitable ventures and not pissing their money away on football clubs. 

Once the multi billionaire Arabs decide to exit in 10 - 15 years or so there is no one else left with that sort of money to go buying clubs for hundreds of millions.  Unless the American tech multi billionaires decide to get involved but they seem to be more sensible than that. 

I'm pretty sure that our owners combined are way more than £5bn.  Pretty sure Edens was over £2bn and he was substantially poorer than Sawiris.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

And yet poor paupers Liverpool sit 25 points top. It's not how much you have, it's what you do with it that matters.

Spot on. We’ve consistently spent more than our league position reflects. Learner initially pumped in more than enough to get us fourth. Where he failed was to not have a proper football business structure in place and left MON and his inflated ego to do what he wanted. 

Money without brains might get you some successful football players. Money with brains gets you a successful football club. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'm pretty sure that our owners combined are way more than £5bn.  Pretty sure Edens was over £2bn and he was substantially poorer than Sawiris.

Yeah I remember reading about them a year ago and they were worth well past £ 10 bn. 

It's not that interesting either way as pointed out above. After you reach a limit it's more about how you run the club than anything else. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stewiek2 said:

And yet poor paupers Liverpool sit 25 points top. It's not how much you have, it's what you do with it that matters.

True, but with that amount of money, you can literally scattershoot until it works.

Mate its 260 BILLION, and that will just be what they know of.

With that amount of money, I would probably have just put the big money into buying Man U if i'm honest.

its the hope that kills you...

Newcastle's owners have an investment portfolio worth £260bn, that's assets not cash, they aren't selling their $3.5bn Uber shares to buy football players

the hope should be that they're an investment company, mike Ashley has successfully taken a lot of money out of Newcastle, these guys could be doing exactly the same or they could do what Utd have done, spent a lot of cash very badly, i'd be happy if Bruce and the scouting team that got them joelinton had a couple of hundred million to spend

at the moment we have owners that have shown they are more than willing to dip their hands in their pockets as much as FFP will allow them to do so, we cant complain

and west brom, Fulham, Bristol, stoke all have billionaire owners, Barnsley were meant to have an incredibly rich owner, burnley on the other hand have owners worth a couple of hundred million and sit 10th in the PL

Edited by villa4europe

59 minutes ago, sidcow said:

True, Add to that, Sawiris family in total is worth well over 10 billion.

Still, that Saudi fund is worth 25 times that, for context.