Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

Top two from the championship shouldn't be promoted from the championship based on a complete season no more than the bottom three should be relegated from the premier league based on a complete season. Whether we like it or not other than the games going ahead in front of crowds which is seemingly impossible, the fairest way of doing it is to complete the season behind closed doors if possible. Null and voiding would probably be the most sensible, but there's no way that that's going to happen.

1 hour ago, useless said:

Top two from the championship shouldn't be promoted from the championship based on a complete season no more than the bottom three should be relegated from the premier league based on a complete season. Whether we like it or not other than the games going ahead in front of crowds which is seemingly impossible, the fairest way of doing it is to complete the season behind closed doors if possible. Null and voiding would probably be the most sensible, but there's no way that that's going to happen.

Fairest? Not in the slightest....as we have said in the last few pages of this thread.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Behind closed doors is a huge change of the rules. We have 6 home games left and our best form is at home, why should we lose that home advantage that say another team who has played 15 home games. 

Null and void or fans attending is the only way this finishes fairly 

Do you think next season should start under closed doors then because I can’t see them opening the gates until the middle of next year. Null and voiding this season is only dealing with part of the problem. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Yes you’re right if they can do it they will, but that’s down to money rather than what’s fairest.

The PL, until Spurs new ground, stuck to the rule that you couldn’t play games at a different stadium during a season because of integrity, so how does behind closed doors fit into that? Well it doesn’t, and it’s actually taking it to a much further extreme.

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

It may become a viable option but changes the playing field of the season.  You cant say the season has any integrity if you play part of the season under one environment and the other part under another environment.  The pressure is different, the advantage is different and it puts a different complexion on the game.  Home advantage is a proven influence over games (sometimes when you are playing badly and the home crowd get after you after twenty minutes it can be a disadvantage as well) but it plays into the psychology of tactics.  How many times have we heard managers or pundits saying the away side needs to keep the home side out for the first twenty minutes and then the fans will get on their backs.  How many times have the focus on a player, good or bad, influenced how that player plays.  To dismiss it out of hand just to complete the season is as bad as changing one of the rules of the game at this point in the season.....it impacts the integrity of the game enough to not be a real option.

Plus read my prior post on that this wont be in the easing of restrictions because 22 players, 1 ref, 2 assistants, plus subs, manager, 4th official and medics....that's around 50 people. 

First phase when restrictions are eased will be still less than 10-20 people....further there is still almost 100 games left of the PL so these players will be mixing with large gatherings every couple of days to complete the 100 games.  That isnt going to happen. 

Plus where are these tests coming from because the players wont be have to be tested once but many times during this period and I think the first responders should get priority along with vulnerable people rather than a sport.

Whose going to insurance footballers in this scenario as well.....the clubs or PL wont want the exposure of liability will they and who is going to insure the players gathering like this given how contagious this virus is and how much the players are worth.

Either football gets completed properly for the integrity of the game and the financial consequences of being relegated whether it is us or any other team or they end the season and decide to void it, relegate us or only promote the two teams from the championship.  Whatever the case they should end this season and start thinking about next season and stop kicking the can down the road so they can blame others.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Behind closed doors is a huge change of the rules. We have 6 home games left and our best form is at home, why should we lose that home advantage that say another team who has played 15 home games. 

Null and void or fans attending is the only way this finishes fairly 

Guys, I agree in part, but while all the talk of the integrity of the league, changing the rules and the playing field etc is correct, those things are gone regardless this season. Even if fans are allowed back to finish the season (which let's be honest definately won't happen), what if John McGinn scores the goals to keep us up or Wesley gets back just in time for our last game scoring to keep us up over West Ham? What if Reina decides he doesn't want to be in England any more so refuses to sign a short term extension and goes back to Spain? The "integrity" of the league is gone already.

Every option is a compromise, given the money that teams have already spent this season for whatever reason, IF its declared that its safe to resume behind closed doors then that's a better option for just about everyone than voiding the season. 

For what it's worth I still think it will be null and voided. I've said it since the first game was cancelled and I still think that, I can't see how they get around the June 30th issue and I think they're posturing to make it look like they are doing everything possible while waiting for either 1) a government announcement forcing their hand or 2) another major league voiding the season and setting a precedent 

8 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Do you think next season should start under closed doors then because I can’t see them opening the gates until the middle of next year. Null and voiding this season is only dealing with part of the problem. 

Oddly, I guess the question for next season is whether teams gain a competitive advantage when games stop being played behind closed doors. If a team play their local rival at home behind closed doors and then play them away in front of 40,000 fans, what does that do to competitive advantage?

I guess to an extent, the clubs will be expected to just live with that - both this season if it happens and next season.

14 minutes ago, weedman said:

Guys, I agree in part, but while all the talk of the integrity of the league, changing the rules and the playing field etc is correct, those things are gone regardless this season. Even if fans are allowed back to finish the season (which let's be honest definately won't happen), what if John McGinn scores the goals to keep us up or Wesley gets back just in time for our last game scoring to keep us up over West Ham? What if Reina decides he doesn't want to be in England any more so refuses to sign a short term extension and goes back to Spain? The "integrity" of the league is gone already.

The integrity of the league is the bullshit that the Premier League are spouting, everybody knows its all about money, If the Premier League care about integrity then they either null and void or wait until fans are allowed attend again whenever that may be.

Wesley will apparently not be allowed registered for the remaining games 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Next season is a complete different agenda, the Premier League can amend rules for that season but you cant change competition rules halfway through a season regardless of the issue

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, weedman said:

Every option is a compromise, given the money that teams have already spent this season for whatever reason, IF its declared that its safe to resume behind closed doors then that's a better option for just about everyone than voiding the season. 

For what it's worth I still think it will be null and voided. I've said it since the first game was cancelled and I still think that, I can't see how they get around the June 30th issue and I think they're posturing to make it look like they are doing everything possible while waiting for either 1) a government announcement forcing their hand or 2) another major league voiding the season and setting a precedent 

See I just think playing behind closed doors is not the fairest option at all.  Out of all the reasonable options this makes least sense because it’s a major change.  As you say it’s also the least likely to happen which I’ve also commented on in the last few pages.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Oddly, I guess the question for next season is whether teams gain a competitive advantage when games stop being played behind closed doors. If a team play their local rival at home behind closed doors and then play them away in front of 40,000 fans, what does that do to competitive advantage?

I guess to an extent, the clubs will be expected to just live with that - both this season if it happens and next season.

Blues have an advantage as they are used to playing with no crowd at home 😂😂😂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think seriously though they need to decide, either all next season behind closed doors or not at all.  I really do think it makes an advantage and it’s shown in cups with home advantage etc and neutral venue for final so neither side gets an advantage.

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Didn’t hurt PSG playing behind closed doors 

Sure if we had Mbappe, Icardi, Di Maria and Cavani in attack we wouldn't be worried either. Ridiculous comparison 🙄

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Sure if we had Mbappe, Icardi, Di Maria and Cavani in attack we wouldn't be worried either. Ridiculous comparison 🙄

I know but there were a number of games played behind closed doors in  the champions league and Europa league where home sides won. Just wonder whether home advantage  is as much about the fans or the familiarity of the stadium and pitch 

Edited by PaulC

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

Yes true 

the thing is with Dortmund is that its impossible to tell

I watched that game and to be fair to them PSG were excellent, completely controlled the tempo of the game and held their shape with complete discipline vs a brilliant counter attacking team

could the home crowd via nervous energy or just general energy and excitement cause PSG to speed up and chase the tie they were losing rather than just play it out and let it come? who knows, it definitely made it feel flat which worked perfectly for the home team

football is a funny game like that