Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

58 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Eh? Is this a troll comment.....

when a car has no fuel it doesn’t run either but when it has fuel it does......not sure I follow your point!

When football is back the players will have value

Troll no. Just common sense! It’s going to have a massive impact on the value of players. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mantis said:

I know it's The Sun, but an article came out tonight saying that the government basically plans to keep many social distancing measures in place until the late summer/autumn.

Isn't it the lockdown that's likely to be in place until later summer/autumn? 

Social distancing will be in place until there's a vaccine won't it?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mantis said:

I know it's The Sun, but an article came out tonight saying that the government basically plans to keep many social distancing measures in place until the late summer/autumn.

I think it’s becoming clearer with every day that lockdown measures are going to be around for months rather than weeks. And when lockdown measures start to be eased it’s going to be on a priority basis, and leisure events that create mass gatherings will be at the lower end of priority. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PaulC said:

Troll no. Just common sense! It’s going to have a massive impact on the value of players. 

Apologies then, seemed like a troll comment but I was wrong, sorry!

As for value, I think you’re wrong but we’ll wait and see.  

In the end, whether it’s 40m or 70m, it’s funny money for the normal person who earn in a year how much some players earn in a day.

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Apologies then, seemed like a troll comment but I was wrong, sorry!

As for value, I think you’re wrong but we’ll wait and see.  

In the end, whether it’s 40m or 70m, it’s funny money for the normal person who earn in a year how much some players earn in a day.

I’d be pretty annoyed if we sold Grealish for £70m, post-Covid-19 deflation or not and relegation or not.

11 hours ago, weedman said:

Fairest things to do in order 

1) finish the season as normal 

2) finish the season behind closed doors

3) null and void the season

4) the no relegation, promote the top 2 idea

5) Call the league done, wipe out the last result of every team who have played an extra game to make it games played even

6) Use average points to finish the season 

7) End the table as it stands

I would have to disagree that behind closed doors is fairer than null and void. What about home advantage? Where is your integrity?!

Edited by fightoffyour

yep, easiest example to use is us vs west ham last game of the season, winner stays up, played behind closed doors...you think west ham will consider that fair?

not a chance

I think we could also make a decent fist of correlating ticket sales with atmosphere and then use that to argue that wolves and man utd are our 2 biggest home games of the year

Edited by villa4europe

43 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

I’d be pretty annoyed if we sold Grealish for £70m, post-Covid-19 deflation or not and relegation or not.

Imagine how annoyed you would be if, according to some that say prices will come down, that we sold Jack for 40m then?

it’s never going to happen is it.....we would never sell Jack for anywhere near that money.  We shouldn’t be thinking of selling Jack and just because football is suffering that we’d consider a big club getting Jack cheaper if we had no choice.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, weedman said:

Fairest things to do in order 

1) finish the season as normal 

2) finish the season behind closed doors

3) null and void the season

4) the no relegation, promote the top 2 idea

5) Call the league done, wipe out the last result of every team who have played an extra game to make it games played even

6) Use average points to finish the season 

7) End the table as it stands 

Change the order to 1, 4, 3, 2

Behind closed loses integrity because of pressure and home advantage

Feel sorry for the top two in championship, so would promote without relegation

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I completely agree, although as each week passes and players contracts start to come into it & teams lose key players or buy new players to strengthen (should that happen) then option 4 even overtakes option 1 in my eyes.

I also think there has to be a degree of social responsibility here. We are amidst a biblical scale pandemic, people are increasingly at risk of mental health issues due to a whole host of factors associated with it & that's on a large scale too. The last thing we need is for any team to suddenly get relegated "Unfairly" at this point as that could also have an impact & risk pushing some people over the edge. So for me that has to be removed from the table for the sake of peoples well-being at this time. It would be totally Crass & socially irresponsible to unfairly relegate 3 teams from each division. That's at least 12 teams & would thus cause even more distress & angst among their associated fan bases. That is an awful lot of peoples mental health you are playing with and their families who would bear the brunt of it. We already hear how domestic violence is massively up at the moment so for me this needs to be considered before making any decision regarding unfairly relegating teams.

So for me it simply has to be option 4 in second place. It would be a much better option to have a slightly bigger division and give all those people a bit of respite & joy instead of the above surely? .... Of course i know " i would say that" as a Villa fan but even so.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, useless said:

If no more games are played that doesn't guarantee our survival. Pretty much every league has said that there are no plans to null and void the season, if no more games get played then the more likely scenario is that those currently occupying the relegation places will be relegated, as is happening in Scotland. People might talk about legal action, but if enough premier league clubs vote in favour of it I don't think there's anything we can do about it. Can't know for sure, but it could be that our best chance of surviving is if the season resumes.

You're right, it doesn't guarantee our survival. It's still our best bet.

16 hours ago, The_Steve said:

This might hinder Newcastle's takeover:

They've probably diversified to all sectors of the economy, but these levels in oil (and electricity) cannot be good to them. Fortunately our owners are not oil dependent, as far as I've understood.

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

3 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

I would have to disagree that behind closed doors is fairer than null and void. What about home advantage? Where is your integrity?!

I have to disagree with you both here. Sure, that would work out better for us as we have several big home games coming up and we don't want to go down but come on guys, if the season can be completed, even if it's behind closed doors, it is 100% a better option than just voiding it. It would suck for us as home advantage could end up being pretty crucial but come on, this is an unprecedented time and something is going to have to give somewhere. 

I'm not a fan of the idea of behind closed doors matches, but you can guarantee that if that becomes a viable option they will do it, if we can't get fans in stadiums it's the next fairest way to end the season. Not perfect of course, but let's be realistic none of the available options will be, it's about finding the fairest solution to an unprecedented time.

Finishing the games, getting the TV money, getting an answer to promotions and relegation and champions etc after completing all matches is the fairest option. If that cannot happen, I just can't see the idea of promoting 2 but not relegating anyone working. It just seems so pie in the sky, for starters it's very clear that 3 teams should be promoted so by only promoting top 2 every team in the top 8 or 10 would have a grievance against the league for not allowing them the opportunity, which is potential legal action, secondly, how far down the pyramid do you go to keep the leagues even? What if there's 2 teams tied in 2nd and 3rd and one has a game in hand? 

If the games can't be completed I just can't see any realistic option apart from voiding it, which is why if behind closed doors becomes an option they will go for it 100%. If, at the end of the season we played 28 games with fans and were 19th in the league, it won't be the 10 games behind closed doors that relegated us. And at least everyone's in the same boat this way, it's just so much fairer than voiding the whole thing

• Like 1

Now the lower leagues are looking to null and void the rest of the season. Top flights have no excuse except for greed. 1 million coukd die in England and they would still want to continue the season 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, weedman said:

I'm not a fan of the idea of behind closed doors matches, but you can guarantee that if that becomes a viable option they will do it, if we can't get fans in stadiums it's the next fairest way to end the season. Not perfect of course, but let's be realistic none of the available options will be, it's about finding the fairest solution to an unprecedented time.

Yes you’re right if they can do it they will, but that’s down to money rather than what’s fairest.

The PL, until Spurs new ground, stuck to the rule that you couldn’t play games at a different stadium during a season because of integrity, so how does behind closed doors fit into that? Well it doesn’t, and it’s actually taking it to a much further extreme.

Finishing the games, getting the TV money, getting an answer to promotions and relegation and champions etc after completing all matches is the fairest option. If that cannot happen, I just can't see the idea of promoting 2 but not relegating anyone working. It just seems so pie in the sky, for starters it's very clear that 3 teams should be promoted so by only promoting top 2 every team in the top 8 or 10 would have a grievance against the league for not allowing them the opportunity, which is potential legal action, secondly, how far down the pyramid do you go to keep the leagues even? What if there's 2 teams tied in 2nd and 3rd and one has a game in hand? 

Relegating teams without finishing the season would undoubtedly result in legal action from those clubs, but not promoting anyone from a separate entity? Not at all. Those clubs are not members of the PL and if they don’t get invited to join then so be it. Someone could prove me wrong with the league(s) rules but I would expect it to say something just like the above, that “after completion of the season the top 2 and playoff winner will be invited to join the PL”. If the season isn’t completed there wouldn’t be any obligation to invite anyone.

47 minutes ago, weedman said:

I have to disagree with you both here. Sure, that would work out better for us as we have several big home games coming up and we don't want to go down but come on guys, if the season can be completed, even if it's behind closed doors, it is 100% a better option than just voiding it. It would suck for us as home advantage could end up being pretty crucial but come on, this is an unprecedented time and something is going to have to give somewhere. 

If the games can't be completed I just can't see any realistic option apart from voiding it, which is why if behind closed doors becomes an option they will go for it 100%. If, at the end of the season we played 28 games with fans and were 19th in the league, it won't be the 10 games behind closed doors that relegated us. And at least everyone's in the same boat this way, it's just so much fairer than voiding the whole thing

It may become a viable option but changes the playing field of the season.  You cant say the season has any integrity if you play part of the season under one environment and the other part under another environment.  The pressure is different, the advantage is different and it puts a different complexion on the game.  Home advantage is a proven influence over games (sometimes when you are playing badly and the home crowd get after you after twenty minutes it can be a disadvantage as well) but it plays into the psychology of tactics.  How many times have we heard managers or pundits saying the away side needs to keep the home side out for the first twenty minutes and then the fans will get on their backs.  How many times have the focus on a player, good or bad, influenced how that player plays.  To dismiss it out of hand just to complete the season is as bad as changing one of the rules of the game at this point in the season.....it impacts the integrity of the game enough to not be a real option.

Plus read my prior post on that this wont be in the easing of restrictions because 22 players, 1 ref, 2 assistants, plus subs, manager, 4th official and medics....that's around 50 people. 

First phase when restrictions are eased will be still less than 10-20 people....further there is still almost 100 games left of the PL so these players will be mixing with large gatherings every couple of days to complete the 100 games.  That isnt going to happen. 

Plus where are these tests coming from because the players wont be have to be tested once but many times during this period and I think the first responders should get priority along with vulnerable people rather than a sport.

Whose going to insurance footballers in this scenario as well.....the clubs or PL wont want the exposure of liability will they and who is going to insure the players gathering like this given how contagious this virus is and how much the players are worth.

Either football gets completed properly for the integrity of the game and the financial consequences of being relegated whether it is us or any other team or they end the season and decide to void it, relegate us or only promote the two teams from the championship.  Whatever the case they should end this season and start thinking about next season and stop kicking the can down the road so they can blame others.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Behind closed doors is a huge change of the rules. We have 6 home games left and our best form is at home, why should we lose that home advantage that say another team who has played 15 home games. 

Null and void or fans attending is the only way this finishes fairly 

I wrote a thesis length rant and you said it better in three sentences 😭😉👍

• Like 1