Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

Can see Newcastle coming in for Grealish, exactly the type of player that Manchester City went for when they first had their takeover, they will have enough money that they will be able to offer players deals that they will find it very hard to turn down. Only thing to stop them getting who they want is other more established mega rich clubs also wanting the same players.

They might not specifically get Grealish but if these new owners really want to go for it then I'm sure they will be signing a number of players that many would have thought that they'd have no chance of getting, especially if as is being suggested that FFP gets relaxed to help clubs cope with the aftermath of the coronavirus, even if FFP stays they're probably rich enough that they will find a way around it.

I can see Newcastle's strategy being to hoover up players who haven't quite cut it at bigger clubs. Similar to Everton bringing in likes of Walcott, Morgan Schnderlien, Digne and Andre Gomes in recently

In the mid 90s they of course could go out and sign a Shearer or Les Ferdinand, very different times to now though of course.

Next manager will be key of course.

The Mirror (yes I know) running a story that one of the PL giants is losing £9m a week and that the club will need an emergency £100m loan to stay afloat.

Doesn't say which club and who knows what their definition of PL-giant is, could be West Ham for all we know :D 

But Arsenal or Spurs seem like likely candidates considering their massive wage budget/stadium build. It's the mirror so could also be made up nonsense.

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I can see Newcastle's strategy being to hoover up players who haven't quite cut it at bigger clubs. Similar to Everton bringing in likes of Walcott, Morgan Schnderlien, Digne and Andre Gomes in recently.

That worked out well for Everton didn't it? 😉

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I can see Newcastle's strategy being to hoover up players who haven't quite cut it at bigger clubs. Similar to Everton bringing in likes of Walcott, Morgan Schnderlien, Digne and Andre Gomes in recently

In the mid 90s they of course could go out and sign a Shearer or Les Ferdinand, very different times to now though of course.

Next manager will be key of course.

Shaqiri, Arnautovic and a return for Ben Arfa would be perfect for them :D 

• Like 1

If no more games are played that doesn't guarantee our survival. Pretty much every league has said that there are no plans to null and void the season, if no more games get played then the more likely scenario is that those currently occupying the relegation places will be relegated, as is happening in Scotland. People might talk about legal action, but if enough premier league clubs vote in favour of it I don't think there's anything we can do about it. Can't know for sure, but it could be that our best chance of surviving is if the season resumes.

Sturgeon says no games in front of crowds any time soon, possibly until a vaccine is ready which could be second half of next year and games behind closed doors needs to be carefully considered. 

It is going to be difficult to get this season finished. The women might be able to do it at St. George’s but they are not liklely to attract the same attention as the men’s game and supporters would be more respectful of the measures than followers of the men’s game.

17 hours ago, useless said:

They might not specifically get Grealish but if these new owners really want to go for it then I'm sure they will be signing a number of players that many would have thought that they'd have no chance of getting, especially if as is being suggested that FFP gets relaxed to help clubs cope with the aftermath of the coronavirus, even if FFP stays they're probably rich enough that they will find a way around it.

They will buy players in the 30-40 mil bracket , they will spend like Everton ( but hope for better success ) so your point on Grealish is correct , Everton spent 30 mil plus on Richarlison who had one good season at Watford so likely they will spend large on a PL player.

13 minutes ago, PaulC said:

A lot of the value has been wiped off footballers now.  

Why...

Newcastle will have new funds,

Man U will spend big despite what the Guardian says (they are just dampening fees),

Man City will spend to regain ground on Liverpool

Chelsea will spend now the ban is lifted

Spurs, I’m sure Mourniho will change players in his squad

I don’t think players value will change, with fresh funds in the market, competition between teams offsetting losses of closed football.

Plus clubs are used to getting value for players, they aren’t going to accept less....if we wanted 70m for Jack before, are you happy to accept 40m now.....no way!

Edited by nick76

I think people might be being naive in thinking that Newcastle will spend similar sums of money to Everton, that's something that a team like ours could aspire to with our owners if we can stay in the divsion and other teams as well, Newcastle with their new owners and their wealth, if it goes ahead will almost certainly go for an higher class of player and therefore more expensive players than those that Everton have been signing, the Saudis will want to show that they can compete with the Man City owners. It might not work out for them, but in terms of funds they will have enough money to blow pretty much everyone else out of the water, people can talk about FFP but I'm sure they will find a way around that... That's if all what the media is saying about the takeover is true of course, I haven't been following it closely myself, if it turns out the prospective aren't as rich as is being made out then things might be different.

And I don't say that as negative for us, before we worry about what teams further up the table are doing or are likely to end up further up the table as might be the case with Newcastle, we need concentrate on ourselves and improve on our current status as one of the worst teams in the divison.

City took 2 or 3 years to attract the big names minus Robinho, world class players are not going to automatically sign and be happy playing with Joelinton and Yedlin. Newcastle also cant ship out 20 players and bring 20 in one summer, just not possible

58 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Why...

Newcastle will have new funds,

Man U will spend big despite what the Guardian says (they are just dampening fees),

Man City will spend to regain ground on Liverpool

Chelsea will spend now the ban is lifted

Spurs, I’m sure Mourniho will change players in his squad

I don’t think players value will change, with fresh funds in the market, competition between teams offsetting losses of closed football.

Plus clubs are used to getting value for players, they aren’t going to accept less....if we wanted 70m for Jack before, are you happy to accept 40m now.....no way!

football is about to hit a huge crash, this will be the last time wages and transfer fees will be like this for a long time

Man City were signing players like Bellamy, Bridge and Wright-Phillips and Given when they first had their takeover, might not seem like massive names now, but at the time those players were all highly rated, Bridge and Wright-Phillips were regulars for Chelsea who were always challenging for the title, the equivalent now would be Newcastle signing a couple of regulars from the Man City team, and Bellamy was getting games for Liverpool and Given was rated as one of the best goalkeepers in the league, next transfer window they were signing the likes of Tevez, Barry and Toure. There's a reason it only took them two seasons with a full summer transfer window with the then new owners to reach the champions league, and only three seasons to win the title, and that was because of the class of player that they were signing.

Also I wouldn't be so sure that transfers for players are going to come down, football seems to operate in it's own bubble when it comes to that kind of thing. The last thing we want is to lose one of our better players for a reduced price, and then watch on as inferior players at other clubs move for bigger sums.

On 11/04/2020 at 16:25, useless said:

In Scotland I think they're working it out by average points per game, If they decided to settle the final Premier league table using the same criteria then we would still remain in the bottom three.

If the points per game idea has been brought in because relegating a team with a game in-hand would be unfair - because that team might win their game in hand- then this is a flawed solution which is equally unfair for the exact same reason.

Currently, we have 25 points from 28 games, giving us 0.89 points per game, which would relegate us according to this table in the Express:

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1269721/Premier-League-table-points-per-game-how-season-finish-scenario

If we had played our game in-hand and won it, we would have 28 points from 29 games, giving us 0.97 points per game, which would keep us up.

So anyone who thinks that keeping the table as it stands is unfair, because teams with games in-hand could win them, must accept that the points per game solution is not a solution to that issue.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Zatman said:

football is about to hit a huge crash, this will be the last time wages and transfer fees will be like this for a long time

See, I disagree, I think it’ll barely touch it and while normal life will be hit for a long time to come....things like football prices will be barely be touched.  The common man always gets smashed by these things.....the top end suffer short term pain but always come out of it ok....always happens and no reason for it to change.