Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

19 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Or they don't have potch side microphones. What would beach there point anyway? 

Ah yes! I hadn't thought about that. 😑 "Dime bar? ... Dime. Bar?" Yes, they can just simply not have the usual pitch side microphones, good point! And when/if someone scores we might just about faintly hear the players' cheers via the commentator's microphone.

Edited by robby b

13 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Or they don't have potch side microphones. What would beach there point anyway? 

I've edited this post to correct spelling errors and still ended up with this!?!? 😳😳

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, sne said:

I've read that it could take up to 5 years or more before a vaccine is in mass production, and if it's done withing 2 years it would be a world record by some margin.

A Professor of virology from University of Helsinki said yesterday that there are several vaccines already finished, and first human tests have already been made (doesn't say where). Testing, production and then distribution will take time though.

Just now, AVTuco said:

A Professor of virology from University of Helsinki said yesterday that there are several vaccines already finished, and first human tests have already been made (doesn't say where). Testing, production and then distribution will take time though.

Sure there are ton of vaccines finished. Remains to be seen if they are effective, what the side effects are and how fast the will be mass produced.

Sure they will push through the normal legal and ethical problems a lot faster this time since the need is great. But I also think most companies will want to have a safety net if there are any side effects like the narcolepsy with the H1N1 or like Astra had in Sweden in the 60's with Talidomid and Neurosedyn.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Yeah didn’t the American Dr Fauci say it’s the human trialling that takes the time, minimum six months.  Understand side effects, effectiveness, strains it vaccinates against, impacts of other drugs etc.  sounds like that creating a vaccine is just the start of it.....never mind mass production and distribution.....and that’s if the vaccine passes the trials.  That’s why they predict likely scenario is a vaccine in 12-18 months.

And to put this in a football context I think a lot of clubs will be reluctant to give their multi million £ investments (players) any experimental drugs that have not been thoroughly tested.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, sne said:

Sure there are ton of vaccines finished. Remains to be seen if they are effective, what the side effects are and how fast the will be mass produced.

Sure they will push through the normal legal and ethical problems a lot faster this time since the need is great. But I also think most companies will want to have a safety net if there are any side effects like the narcolepsy with the H1N1 or like Astra had in Sweden in the 60's with Talidomid and Neurosedyn.

I don't think this guy would say this in a scientific (on-line) seminar just for the heck of it. 

When there's a vaccine, Finns will be the last in line to get it. It may be a good thing this time.

40 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

The lady from Oxford University is on Sky News again today saying they should have 1m vaccines available in September.  They are starting to manufacture the NOW in anticipation that they will be proven to work and safe.  She says it's risky because it will all be wasted if they don't actually work or are proved unsafe, but they are having to gamble it will all be OK.

I guess the first million go to NHS and critical workers and the very rich. 

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

The lady from Oxford University is on Sky News again today saying they should have 1m vaccines available in September.  They are starting to manufacture the NOW in anticipation that they will be proven to work and safe.  She says it's risky because it will all be wasted if they don't actually work or are proved unsafe, but they are having to gamble it will all be OK.

I guess the first million go to NHS and critical workers and the very rich. 

After the PL have had what they want to test players first, so that they can finish the season and bank the television income. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

The vaccine is the ultimate solution but making sure it’s safe and effective is probably going to take longer than August.

What is more likely is a treatment for people infected with virus becoming available sooner.If people who show the more serious symptoms can be treated then we would not be so fearful of the virus and life could get back to normal

Edited by Londonastonvilla
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, Londonastonvilla said:

The vaccine is the ultimate solution but making sure it’s safe and effective is probably going to take longer than August.

What is more likely is a treatment for people infected with virus becoming available sooner.If people who show the more serious symptoms can be treated then we would not be so fearful of the virus and life could get back to normal

Ebola vaccine was showing some good signs although it's not been rolled out to larger experimental groups yet.

Thing is vith vaccines is they are a known process.  I don't see it being like a new unknown medicine like Thalidomide where there may be unknown side effects. 

Like all vaccines you are just giving someone a tiny dose of what the disease is.  I would think the biggest problem might be that recipients get full blown Coronavirus rather than immunity.  

I would be suprised if some new unexpected side effects came out of it. 

1 hour ago, sne said:

And to put this in a football context I think a lot of clubs will be reluctant to give their multi million £ investments (players) any experimental drugs that have not been thoroughly tested.

For some reason........I wonder.....

I mean.....footballers have never been given dodgy drugs to....improve performance....

.....clubs wouldnt do that.....

:trollface:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm having a bit of a brain fart - this'll be a ramble because I'm mostly just speaking out loud to try to make sense of it.

I'm still trying to work back from the Wahhabist World Cup  - that runs from 21st November to 18th December 2022

The players will need to be ready for that by early November - they'll need a short break and some time to acclimatise in the desert - and they'll want to have got the 2022-23 domestic season underway and have a fair bit of it under the belt by then - so lets assume the 2022-23 season will start a little earlier than usual, maybe a couple of weeks. That'll mean players back for pre-season in June 2022. They'll need a month off so we'd be looking at trying to finish the 2021-22 season a little early - perhaps right at the beginning of May.

There's no problem in slightly squeezing the usual dates of a season, but 2021-22 can't start early because of the Euros - the 2021 Euros start on the 11th June and finish on 11th July - UEFA have already got those dates up - so you'd be looking for I think six weeks at least between then and the start of the season - time to get players a couple of weeks off at least and to get a pre-season in. So I'd say the 2021-22 season won't start until the very end of August or in September. 

Still, starting the 2021-22 season two or three weeks late and ending it two or three weeks early is still possible - it might require a furloughing of a domestic cup - but it is still possible to squeeze it in (as long as there aren't extra teams) - there'd be no winter break and Jurgen Klopp would cry and cry and cry - but it is possible - just about. It would put a fair amount of pressure on the players though and I wouldn't be too surprised if one or two take a break from international football next summer.

So, the 2020-21 season - it would need to be done and dusted well in advance of the Euros starting on 11th June - so you'd be looking to have the season finished on the usual schedule with games ending in mid- May - as with 2021-22, you could truncate it slightly, get rid of that winter break, upset toothy Jurgen and co. and get it all into eight months rather than nine - but to do that, you'd absolutely need to be starting the 2020-21 season on time - that means mid August at the latest.

There really isn't a lot of slack in those calendars - there's not a great deal of rest for players in there as it is - but the whole thing is pretty much reliant on a slightly squidged 2020-21 season beginning in mid-August - Saturday the 8th or the 15th most likely. That's 112-119 days from now, just 16 or 17 weeks away.

So, in those 16 or 17 weeks, you have to fit in a pre-season of some sort - now that might not be the usual set of friendlies because the current season might barely be finished - but lets say there need to be a gap of at least a fortnight between the end of one season and the start of another. in the remaining 14 or 15 weeks, you have to fit in the end of the current season - that's 9-10 league games, the FA Cup, the Europa League and the Champions League - I reckon it's possible in eight weeks. In the 6 or 7 weeks before that kicks off, you'd need some sort of effort to let the players get to know each other again - at least a week, maybe two of training - that gives us maybe five weeks to get going.

Five weeks from now is 23rd May. For me, if the players aren't in training and working toward kicking off the season at the end of the first week in June on 23rd May - then we're not going to get every tournament in by the start of the 2022 World Cup in Petro-land.

It's a nigh on impossible calendar - moving the Euros into next summer and then having a stupid world cup in the middle of the season makes it ridiculously tight - and I haven't even tried to reckon on the dates of European finals, the World Cup Qualification games, or the Africa Cup of Nations - it's a chaotic mix.

It's made worse in that every different contest has different people that profit - the Premier League have a TV deal, UEFA have a TV deal, FIFA have a TV deal, every league across Europe will have a deal that matters to either a club, a federation or some sort of sporting or broadcast corporation.

In a similar way to the way in which the loss of income has shown up how much our league is an act of financial brinkmanship even with the enormous sums of money involved - the complications for rescheduling this seasons competitions show the degree to which the footballing calendar also lives right on the edge of its nerves - it didn't work to start with (ask Jurgen) and it's about to get very messy indeed.

tl;dr - start at the beginning of June or forget about it.

A fortnight between seasons isn't long enough for transfers although that said most would be done on the last day

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Was reading karen bradys column online. I have ti aay even thiugh she is a absolute slimeball she raises a lot of very good points about how the season commence. 

One thing she says that we havent really thiught about, if a player breaks his leg where do you send them? If the nhs is going theough crisis footballers injuries will not be as urgent and rightly so.

The more these problems are being created i just dint see how the hell yoh can restart the season 

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

Thing is vith vaccines is they are a known process.  I don't see it being like a new unknown medicine like Thalidomide where there may be unknown side effects. 

Like all vaccines you are just giving someone a tiny dose of what the disease is.  I would think the biggest problem might be that recipients get full blown Coronavirus rather than immunity.  

I would be suprised if some new unexpected side effects came out of it. 

I thought they gave a synthetic version of the disease ie not the disease.  I’m not a doctor or have any medical background but I’m sure I’ve read that the days of a bit of the disease to create antibodies has long gone in vaccines, they are all synthetic versions now in vaccines.  I could be making that all up in my head, anybodyknow?

Meanwhile.... Newcastle are being taken over by a government fund worth over 10 times a Man City ffs.

Everytime we get new owners, with dosh, and I start seeing where we could possibly get in amongst the top 6 etc.... Another of our direct rivals gazump us ffs.

Deja Vu with us and Lerner, Man City with Abu Dhabi 🙄🤦🏾‍♂️

11 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Was reading karen bradys column online. I have ti aay even thiugh she is a absolute slimeball she raises a lot of very good points about how the season commence. 

One thing she says that we havent really thiught about, if a player breaks his leg where do you send them? If the nhs is going theough crisis footballers injuries will not be as urgent and rightly so.

The more these problems are being created i just dint see how the hell yoh can restart the season 

I wouldn't have thought the PL clubs use the NHS but go private instead.