Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

6 hours ago, PaulC said:

Why should that make a difference? In 1974/75 we won the bloody thing but still ended up winning our last eight games to get promoted. 

Because we havent finished the season and played 1 game after tge final

48 minutes ago, nick76 said:

No chance. The one thing we know is the PL have no balls, no way will they risk relegation based on the current position.  The legal challenges alone....just not going to happen, it would be last last last resort.

The issue is, the Premier League is a corporation with the 20 clubs each being a member. Any big decisions go down to a vote by each member and the majority rules. 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Because we havent finished the season and played 1 game after tge final

I know but I really think but for the coronavirus we would have got relegated. Performance at Leicester and the away games at Bournemouth and Southampton were shocking.

Of course If it were to finish the season we have a much better chance of staying up 

5 hours ago, sidcow said:

Yes, once players see nothing to play for anymore, in empty stadiums or training pitches, it's really difficult to see them going hell for leather.  It might come down to how many on the beach teams each relegation candidate has to play compared to others. 

You might see some very silly results with some big clubs getting a right hiding which would never happen even when their season is over in front of full stadiums in a normal end of season encounter. 

G7PLUqQ.jpg

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, useless said:

I didn't feel like reading this article from the Telegraph... but read this following sentence...

'Premier League clubs have been told that the 2020-21 season must start by the first week of September at the latest.'

In other news Premier League clubs have been told to sit on the beach and stop the tide from coming in.

12 hours ago, jim said:

The issue is, the Premier League is a corporation with the 20 clubs each being a member. Any big decisions go down to a vote by each member and the majority rules. 

More proves my point that they more likely vote with members than outsiders which those in the championship are.

Plus how do you relegate three teams.  You could argue top two promoted but third promoted team isnt the third placed team, it's the winner of the playoffs between third to sixth place.  I mean we got promoted and wasnt third.  So to automatically relegate 3 teams that havent completed the season, promote 2 teams have havent completed the season and promote the third place team that even if ended up in 3rd place if all teams completed the season would only had a 25% chance of attaining promotion makes no sense. 

The more I think about it, the game in hand we have is a big thing on our side, that we are current incumbent of the league but also that 3rd promoted team is not from a set position in the league but a group of four teams through a playoff tournament also plays to advantage.

Ideally we would complete the season and if we are one of the three worst teams then rightly we should be relegated but otherwise we shouldnt be relegated if season isnt completed

Edited by nick76

I've seen 2 separate reports now from 2 different experts saying that a vaccine could be out by August albeit not in mass production.  However you can bet your bottom dollar that it will be able to be purchased at great expense by people with the means, such as foot the ball clubs. 

8 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I've seen 2 separate reports now from 2 different experts saying that a vaccine could be out by August albeit not in mass production.  However you can bet your bottom dollar that it will be able to be purchased at great expense by people with the means, such as foot the ball clubs. 

I've read that it could take up to 5 years or more before a vaccine is in mass production, and if it's done withing 2 years it would be a world record by some margin.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sne said:

I've read that it could take up to 5 years or more before a vaccine is in mass production, and if it's done withing 2 years it would be a world record by some margin.

Yes but this is more urgent because we need the Premier League completed. No. 1 priority for some 😉

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Yes but this is more urgent because we need the Premier League completed. No. 1 priority for some 😉

Agreed, can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs.

36 minutes ago, sne said:

I've read different. One from head of vaccine research and development at Oxford University on Sky News yesterday and from a Government vaccine expert today on BBC virus live coverage. 

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

I've read different. One from head of vaccine research and development at Oxford University on Sky News yesterday and from a Government vaccine expert today on BBC virus live coverage. 

It's bound to be a whole spectra of opinions on a subject like this.

As I said I've read the opposite from among others the government coordinator of these things in Sweden, various medical experts and so on.

5-10 years in the normal time when developing a vaccine from scratch apparently. This one is obviously going to be pushed forward faster but something like a new Tami-flu will take time.

Or so some of the experts say. 

Just now, sne said:

It's bound to be a whole spectra of opinions on a subject like this.

As I said I've read the opposite from among others the government coordinator of these things in Sweden, various medical experts and so on.

5-10 years in the normal time when developing a vaccine from scratch apparently. This one is obviously going to be pushed forward faster but something like a new Tami-flu will take time.

Or so some of the experts say. 

The gist of their comments its its not being developed from scratch and the Sars vaccine is their starting point due to similarities.  Also they were on the cusp of developing universal vaccine techniques. 

The Government had piled millions in and they've dropped everything else to develop this.  They will know end of May if it works and completed good enough human safety trials by August.  Then it's ramping up manufacturing which will be the hard part.  For that it's going to be handed over to the drug companies to mass produce. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

The gist of their comments its its not being developed from scratch and the Sars vaccine is their starting point due to similarities.  Also they were on the cusp of developing universal vaccine techniques. 

The Government had piled millions in and they've dropped everything else to develop this.  They will know end of May if it works and completed good enough human safety trials by August.  Then it's ramping up manufacturing which will be the hard part.  For that it's going to be handed over to the drug companies to mass produce. 

Best case scenario, hope it works.

If we end up having to play just one more game to decide our fate (our game in hand) and it goes on live television and behind closed doors, that is not only going to be very stressful, it will also be very weird. For a start, we'll be able to hear what the players say to each other (which 'contains strong language'! Kick-off will need to be at or after the 9pm watershed!) 

10 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm having a bit of a brain fart - this'll be a ramble because I'm mostly just speaking out loud to try to make sense of it.

tl;dr - start at the beginning of June or forget about it.

Why do I get the feeling that you’ve that about this more than anyone making the decisions?