Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

10 minutes ago, turvontour said:

But why would southampton, palace, Newcastle etc want to play in a PL where 5 teams are relegated next season? Also likes of Fulham are just outside automatic places, then being told they are just playoffs? That's the same as saying we are relegated. I appreciate there is no way of keeping everyone happy.

Yeah, the idea that Fulham can't beat Leeds and make up 3 points elsewhere means nobody being promoted is the sensible thing. Because none of them have earned promotion. 

4 minutes ago, turvontour said:

But why would southampton, palace, Newcastle etc want to play in a PL where 5 teams are relegated next season? Also likes of Fulham are just outside automatic places, then being told they are just playoffs? That's the same as saying we are relegated. I appreciate there is no way of keeping everyone happy.

I think for the promotion spots there's a big enough gap and that the alternative fo Fulham is that they don't get a playoff. There's nothing they lose by going into a random playoff. If that makes sense. If their choices are playoff or cancelled season then they'd jump at the playoff.

Personally, I'd relegate no one, promote the top two from the Championship because they have a healthy gap and play next season with 22 teams and no league cup, with five team then relegated (or maybe four a season for two seasons) I'd give Liverpool the title with the agreement of City (who could have their ban reduced for goodwill) and then arrange a very lucrative TV playoff for the final Champions league place between the teams from 5th-8th. 

• Like 3

Just now, kurtsimonw said:

Yeah, the idea that Fulham can't beat Leeds and make up 3 points elsewhere means nobody being promoted is the sensible thing. Because none of them have earned promotion. 

i saw somewhere that Fulham are still to play both Leeds and WBA...

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think for the promotion spots there's a big enough gap and that the alternative fo Fulham is that they don't get a playoff. There's nothing they lose by going into a random playoff. If that makes sense. If their choices are playoff or cancelled season then they'd jump at the playoff.

Personally, I'd relegate no one, promote the top two from the Championship because they have a healthy gap and play next season with 22 teams and no league cup, with five team then relegated (or maybe four a season for two seasons) I'd give Liverpool the title with the agreement of City (who could have their ban reduced for goodwill) and then arrange a very lucrative TV playoff for the final Champions league place between the teams from 5th-8th. 

But of youd stopped the championship now, last season, we'd be nowhere near the playoffs.

• Like 2

If games had have gone ahead Fulham could have been in the top two a week tomorrow, they're only six points behind Albion and seven behind Leeds, with thirty points still play for in the season. Even Forest and Brentford would probably be aggrieved with just awarding Albion and Leeds promotion, and they're ten points adrift.

9 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Why is a 6 point gap considered "healthy" enough for teams at the top of the Championship (where teams around them are obviously picking up a lot of points), but not enough to send Norwich down, with the same gap, despite their clear inability to pick up points?

Fulham promotion is surely more of a debate than Norwich relegation?

1 minute ago, useless said:

If games had have gone ahead Fulham could have been in the top two a week tomorrow, they're only six points behind Albion and seven behind Leeds, with thirty points still play for in the season. Even Forest and Brentford would probably be aggrieved with just awarding Albion and Leeds promotion, and they're ten points adrift.

Leed and Albion are both averaging almost 1.9 points per game - if they were to each get 1.5 per game between now and the end of the season, Forest would need to win ten on the bounce to catch them - I think once the gap is up over a point a game when you're chasing someone at the top it's almost impossible.

Fulham have a much bigger claim, but I still think the gap is justifiable.

There isn't a scenario, if the league isn't to finish, which everyone will be happy with. It'll be the lesser of the evils for the authorities. As long as smaller clubs and the football league, national League rolling down are all looked after with the decision making then I don't care what happens to us, relegated or staying up. Football is more than the premier league. And this is more than just about football.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The FA have very little say on the affairs of the Premier League sadly.

It'll be interesting, if things drag on into the summer, there will be very little break before the start of the 2020-2021 season and it may even have an effect on fixtures on 2020-2021. If that's the case and we then have the Euro's in the summer of 2021, there will be very little break for the players before the start of the 2021-22 season and then the 2022 season will start early so that we can have a big massive stupid gap in it for the Oil World Cup - it will be a few years of turmoil. 

In all of that chaos, you can expect lots of powerful clubs to attempt to push through some really damaging agendas - football's disaster capitalists will be sneaking through the downgrading of the FA Cup, the removal of the League Cup, an enlarged Champions league, removal of international football, weighting of TV monies, winter breaks, domestic leagues of reduced size, bigger squads, bigger benches, more substitutions, preferential champions league qualification and the move toward a super league.

Whatever the equivalent of washing your hands for that is, as supporters we're going to need to do a lot of it.

Yep. I wouldn't be surprised if we were in the last league cup final ever played, having played in the first one.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kurtsimonw said:

Why is a 6 point gap considered "healthy" enough for teams at the top of the Championship (where teams around them are obviously picking up a lot of points), but not enough to send Norwich down, with the same gap, despite their clear inability to pick up points?

For me a little because promotion and relegation are different - in one case you start with something and lose it and in the other you start with nothing and gain something - I'm more comfortable with a team not gaining something than I am with a team having something taken from them. There's a chance that makes no sense at all, but it feels right to me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

For me a little because promotion and relegation are different - in one case you start with something and lose it and in the other you start with nothing and gain something - I'm more comfortable with a team not gaining something than I am with a team having something taken from them. There's a chance that makes no sense at all, but it feels right to me.

No title for Liverpool then, at least.

Here's a thing - if Coronavirus peaks in 10-14 weeks as has been suggested and we don't play until then, we reach a point at which player contracts expire.

Would we be unable to pick Reina? Do Coventry face going into a playoff without O'Hare? Do loans just end?

Do players who are out of contract just not play in the final games of the season?

Do players who have signed deals with new clubs switch sides?

I think if we're not playing by the 1st July things will get very peculiar.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Here's a thing - if Coronavirus peaks in 10-14 weeks as has been suggested and we don't play until then, we reach a point at which player contracts expire.

Would we be unable to pick Reina? Do Coventry face going into a playoff without O'Hare? Do loans just end?

Do players who are out of contract just not play in the final games of the season?

One of the reasons it will be void. Destroying the integrity of the competition just to rush something through just wouldn't work.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think things are already very,very, very peculiar mate. Only a world war has ever suspended football league play in over 130 years.

• Like 1