Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I hope not. I'd like to enjoy the PL this year the way i remember it before var comes in the flowing season. 

The concept is good but in its current format it's very poor. Half the time I've seen it the fans don't have a clue what is going on. Also I don't like that every decision now fans and managers are doing the var signal. 

It's really irritating. It should only be for if a ba crosses a line as it was originally intended

That was never the intention of VAR.

VAR is a good thing. Give it 2 seasons and it will be second nature.

2 hours ago, tom_avfc said:

VAR is completely different to the goal line technology. I think there's been numerous examples of where VAR has worked particularly well this season. We would have had a different Champions League finalist this season if it wasn't for VAR.

To be honest I'd like to think that the Premier League wouldn't continue to be the only major league not using VAR and I'd say the same thing if we weren't in it.

You say that as though it's a good thing?!

Thanks to VAR we witnessed the worst European Cup final on record.

• Haha 1

Based on absolutely nothing but the commonly held belief that ‘big teams always get the decisions going their way’ I think VAR will be good for us on our first season back. Not so much once we’ve cracked the top 6!

• Like 1

Can we start building what we think the starting 11 for the first game could be as the summer progresses and signings get confirmed. I’ll start with: 

?

Guilbert    ?     ?       ? 

Mcginn     ?     Grealish 

Jota         ?        ?

Have I missed any new signings out? 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Jota won’t be first choice I don’t think.

First eleven:

Steer/Kalinic/?

Guilbert            ?                      Mings                  ?

McGinn          ?          Grealish

?                                                                El Ghazi

Tammy/?

A few things I’m unsure about. Is Guilbert good enough for RB position? Are the goalkeepers good enough or is it worth going for another (Butland)? Is Tammy worth £25m and will Chelsea sell? Who do we get for the other positions? We’ve been linked to players like Lolley, Maupay, Phillips, good Championship players but are they good enough for Prem? Lolley couldn’t get in Huddersfield’s team which is concerning, but did very well for Forest last season. 

Is is it worth looking at players at big clubs like Spurs like Wanyama, Dier, Lamela and aiming a bit higher or will these players be mercenaries/not interested?

It’s a big, big summer, first and foremost I would get the loan players tied down from last season who helped us get where we are and try to sign players who can take us to that next level. If we are to compete in the PL we need to be upgrading the players we go for, and that will require very intelligent scouting, hard work, time, money and experience. We’ve got lots of work to do just to stay up, but we probably have the finances and management team to be midtable minimum. Let’s hope they can pull some amazing transfers out the bag.

Edited by VillaFaninLondon
Spelling mistake!
  • Like 2

Might have been posted elsewhere but a new statement on PL website about VAR - https://www.premierleague.com/news/1235515

Premier League clubs were today provided with an update on plans for the introduction of Video Assistant Referees (VAR) in the competition next season.

This included details on in-stadium communications, in particular when there is a clear delay to a match because of VAR, and when refereeing decisions are over-turned due to the intervention of VAR.

The Premier League has created graphics which will be displayed on giant screens to explain any VAR-related delay to a match, and any overturned decision.

Additionally, if the VAR believes there is a definitive video clip which helps explain an overturned decision, it will be broadcast on giant screens.

Also, the Premier League is investigating the possibility of messages and video clips being viewed on handheld devices via an app.

For clubs who do not have giant screens in their stadium, VAR communications will be made via a combination of PA announcements and messages on scoreboards.

P.S. we are now shown as a PL club on the website so its now all official 

26 minutes ago, P.O.B said:

Might have been posted elsewhere but a new statement on PL website about VAR - https://www.premierleague.com/news/1235515

I'm not sure how I feel about the decision being shown on big screen as. 9/10 the home fans will be calling for the decison for their side. 

29 minutes ago, P.O.B said:

If you're in the Premier League and don't have a giant screen something is wrong.

Get them stadiums updated ASAP.

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I'm not sure how I feel about the decision being shown on big screen as. 9/10 the home fans will be calling for the decison for their side. 

Can only see it being used for absolute stonewall decisions e.g. offsides. Can't see it being used for many penalty decisions 

On 29/05/2019 at 08:34, Demitri_C said:

I wonder. How Smith will approach the PL. We can't just attack attack attack here like we did in championship . We try that at City or Liverpool they will absolutely murder us. 

I think we do need to attack more but I think we have to be solid with our passing and hold the ball better than we have done at times.. 

Looking at the teams you would think relegation candidates in the mix will sadly be us Norwich sheff United Brighton Palace maybe Newcastle if they don't get sold and possibly Burnley or Bournemouth 

Don't forget Southampton, they came quite close last year. 

That's 9 teams battling it out for survival. Almost half the league, we just have to finish above 3 of them this coming season.

16 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Don't forget Southampton, they came quite close last year. 

That's 9 teams battling it out for survival. Almost half the league, we just have to finish above 3 of them this coming season.

Not sure about their team as they’re strange, but Watford seem to begin well then go awful with putting some runs in cups. They’ve never been relegation candidates since they were back. But their forms towards every end of season is bad (from result view). I haven’t been following them but I don’t think that’s a form of an established PL team potentially. I think Palace and even Southampton have a better character and maybe quality. The toon are solid, which I hate to say actually. Been following their results last season and it wasn’t the worst, although they have the factor of bottling it at anytime.

Its really tricky and scary when you look at Fulham. We need to know when and how did it all go wrong with them. 

But at the same time Cardiff who was written off by everybody (they wouldn’t have made it through the playoff as they were on a decline) and they didn’t have the best squad. Yet they had their fight and done much better than expected.

How we set up against Man City and Liverpool will be an exception.

For everyone else, I’m sure that we are going to attack and go to win every game. Some may call it naive but it’s going to be fun and going to be a lot better than trying to grind out 15 draws away from home. 

5 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

How we set up against Man City and Liverpool will be an exception.

For everyone else, I’m sure that we are going to attack and go to win every game. Some may call it naive but it’s going to be fun and going to be a lot better than trying to grind out 15 draws away from home. 

I sincerely hope it's fun and not painful. We need to get results to keep confidence level high for the way we play.

I have faith. We are basically doing what Fulham did, but the key difference is Dean Smith. He's demonstrated last season that he can take an entire squad of players completely unknown to him, tweak just a couple of positions and get a decent tune. Now he gets to choose each and every element from scratch, I honesty think he'll have us competing very quickly and nowhere near the bottom.

40 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I'd argue its more difficult getting promoted than staying up. 

That may prove to be true for those that get automatically promoted, but from the last five seasons (prior to our promotion) 4 of the 5 teams promoted via the play-offs went straight back down again. 

PS. Huddersfield were the team that bucked the trend, but they got relegated last season so I guess they just delayed the impending relegation that seems to be coming for all teams promoted via the play-offs. 

33 minutes ago, Daweii said:

That may prove to be true for those that get automatically promoted, but from the last five seasons (prior to our promotion) 4 of the 5 teams promoted via the play-offs went straight back down again. 

PS. Huddersfield were the team that bucked the trend, but they got relegated last season so I guess they just delayed the impending relegation that seems to be coming for all teams promoted via the play-offs. 

Thanks wasn't aware of that. But many of those sides were not aston villa. We have been in Premier league near enough all our life since it was formed. 

Our budgets bigger,, we are a huge club nd have a excellent manager in Smith. I think we will do ut tbh all going well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Do you go to games ?

I ask because I can’t imagine a single person who does being happy that TV viewers and Officials see what’s going on but not those of us who actually pay to go !

If VAR is to have any chance of success it has to fully include those at the game, in the same way the decisions of the Ref currently do.

If that means Home crowds baying for a decision to go a particular way that should be seen as something else to ADD to the fun, not detract from it.

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 1