Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

2 hours ago, Junxs said:

Don't forget Southampton, they came quite close last year. 

That's 9 teams battling it out for survival. Almost half the league, we just have to finish above 3 of them this coming season.

In my view.

There is  a top 6 then others who need to be looking over their shoulder until Easter.

The fun is winning, or doing well, in at League of 14, whilst hoping for something good against the others as free hits.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DakotaVilla said:

How we set up against Man City and Liverpool will be an exception.

For everyone else, I’m sure that we are going to attack and go to win every game. Some may call it naive but it’s going to be fun and going to be a lot better than trying to grind out 15 draws away from home. 

Agree.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Do you go to games ?

I ask because I can’t imagine a single person who does being happy that TV viewers and Officials see what’s going on but not those of us who actually pay to go !

If VAR is to have any chance of success it has to fully include those at the game, in the same way the decisions of the Ref currently do.

If that means Home crowds baying for a decision to go a particular way that should be seen as something else to ADD to the fun, not detract from it.

I get your point Terri but I just think pressuring, the referees further helps things 

2 hours ago, P.O.B said:

Can only see it being used for absolute stonewall decisions e.g. offsides. Can't see it being used for many penalty decisions 

The rules of engagement are pretty clear. Goals, Red Cards, Penalties, and Mistaken Identity.

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I get your point Terri but I just think pressuring, the referees further helps things 

Pressurising the Ref is a part of the game though ? I doubt it will have as much impact if they have a TV screen to look at though...and so actually I’d expect it would help rather than hinder...it SHOULD remove some of the bias towards Home fans ( look out Liverpool !).

Also, If fans can see the TV pictures, they are actually also less likely to be in conflict with the Ref, as they will have the same view. Of course, we will still have our Claret and Blue Specs On, And be biased, but I’m sure it’d be less so.

Surely if the fans in the ground couldn’t see the pictures it’s THAT that would likely increase the chance of disagreement ?

47 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Do you go to games ?

I ask because I can’t imagine a single person who does being happy that TV viewers and Officials see what’s going on but not those of us who actually pay to go !

If VAR is to have any chance of success it has to fully include those at the game, in the same way the decisions of the Ref currently do.

If that means Home crowds baying for a decision to go a particular way that should be seen as something else to ADD to the fun, not detract from it.

I've been dreading VAR being at matches I attend. If next season I'm left wondering WTF is happening for two minutes or celebrate a goal wildly only for it to be ruled out a minute or two afterwards, I'm just going to stop going as it's a load of bullshit for TV audiences. Within five years they'll have ad breaks while a committee views video replays and it'll be like American Football. It's a bag of shite.

2 minutes ago, blunther said:

I've been dreading VAR being at matches I attend. If next season I'm left wondering WTF is happening for two minutes or celebrate a goal wildly only for it to be ruled out a minute or two afterwards, I'm just going to stop going as it's a load of bullshit for TV audiences. Within five years they'll have ad breaks while a committee views video replays and it'll be like American Football. It's a bag of shite.

I understand your fear, the celebration of a goal is the ultimate moment. Nothing compares to the unbridled joy and chaos, it’s what makes it worth going, and the single biggest difference between TV and being there.

It was my biggest concern with VAR.

However....from the testing that’s been done it’s likely that you’ll maybe only see it actually affect things in maybe half a dozen games, statistically. So the thing to do is carry on as normal, celebrate as normal, expect the normal outcome. Yes, a couple of times it will backfire...but equally a couple of times you can have the joy of celebrating the opposition getting one that they’ve celebrated, chalked off.

I think the PL should maybe be illustrating some of this, in addition to just the rules, to maybe quell the fears of some.

• Like 2

Just now, terrytini said:

Yes, a couple of times it will backfire...but equally a couple of times you can have the joy of celebrating the opposition getting one that they’ve celebrated, chalked off.

Ha, that's true!

I hope you're right - what you said about a goal is exactly that. Nothing compares to being in the ground when we score, it's transcendental. You just don't get that watching on a TV. If they take that magic away, that's a big part of the reason for attending taken away.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Pressurising the Ref is a part of the game though ? I doubt it will have as much impact if they have a TV screen to look at though...and so actually I’d expect it would help rather than hinder...it SHOULD remove some of the bias towards Home fans ( look out Liverpool !).

Also, If fans can see the TV pictures, they are actually also less likely to be in conflict with the Ref, as they will have the same view. Of course, we will still have our Claret and Blue Specs On, And be biased, but I’m sure it’d be less so.

Surely if the fans in the ground couldn’t see the pictures it’s THAT that would likely increase the chance of disagreement ?

I'm not sure Terri I guess we will see next season. 

19 minutes ago, blunther said:

I agree I think it will kill it badly. That's my biggest worry. Should only be used for if a goal has crossed the line. For dives etc you can punish them after the game like Bamford. 

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

The rules of engagement are pretty clear. Goals, Red Cards, Penalties, and Mistaken Identity.

What I meant to say (and the statement seems to confirm) was... I can only see the video replays on the big screens being used if the decision is stonewall e.g. an offside or blatant foul. Would they show a replay for a contentious penalty decision? I doubt it. Viewers at home will get to watch it several times over while fans in attendance will probably be left in the dark.

Maybe the will but the statement suggests that if its not definitive they won't show.

ah come on. watching an opposing player score, celebrate wildly like a eejit, notice before he does that it has been ruled out, then seeing his embarrassed realisation that he hasnt actually scored is one of the purest forms of joy there is. 

Now multiply that by tens of thousands of supporters, and the delay of the VAR consultation and you have yourself some great entertainment. Opposing fans will get to celebrate a goal being ruled out like a goal in itself!! Such drama! 😀

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Junxs said:

Don't forget Southampton, they came quite close last year. 

That's 9 teams battling it out for survival. Almost half the league, we just have to finish above 3 of them this coming season.

Bournemouth in 14th finished 9 points clear of relegation.

The 6 teams below, 3 survived and 3 got relegated. They were the 6 that were really in the survival battle. 

We'll be in that group next year, and history shows us that the play-off winners have the most likelyhood of going straight back down. 

The bookies put us at 4th favourite for relegation though, so thats a positive note - if they are correct, we'd finish 17th  😀😀🙃 

2 hours ago, ender4 said:

The 6 teams below, 3 survived and 3 got relegated. They were the 6 that were really in the survival battle. 

We'll be in that group next year, and history shows us that the play-off winners have the most likelyhood of going straight back down. 

The bookies put us at 4th favourite for relegation though, so thats a positive note - if they are correct, we'd finish 17th  😀😀🙃 

How do you know?

Does history account for the play-off winning side having a manager change in October, and a dismal start?

Wolves will be playing Europa League after their first season back in the top tier, also made it to the FA Cup Semi, and should've been in the final.

They lost 4-1 to Steve Bruce's Villa the season before, yet have proven their worth in both the top and second tier as one of the better sides.

5 hours ago, ender4 said:

West Hah and Crystal Palace came up through playoffs more than 5-6 years ago, and they look like an established PL clubs at the moment. You can’t just take the stats without looking at the varieties in each case.

Not attention to the play off winners go down. We are a bigger club than sheff United and Norwich. Obviously that's not enough fbut I think with the owners the scouting team and a excellent manager in Smith that gives us a advantage. 

Also we have a lot more experience of being a established club. 

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Not attention to the play off winners go down. We are a bigger club than sheff United and Norwich. Obviously that's not enough fbut I think with the owners the scouting team and a excellent manager in Smith that gives us a advantage. 

Also we have a lot more experience of being a established club. 

Fulham were much established than Wolves or Cardiff. They had their team ready with huge additions. They had a good manager.

I’m not saying we’ll do what they’ve done but there are a lot of variables to put together. We still have a long long summer to start figuring out what will we look like.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Fulham were much established than Wolves or Cardiff. They had their team ready with huge additions. They had a good manager.

I’m not saying we’ll do what they’ve done but there are a lot of variables to put together. We still have a long long summer to start figuring out what will we look like.

Yes but Fulham sacked their manager early on in on the season then replaced him with raneri. A terrible decision that was always going to lead to relegation. 

Then they wasted 100m on some pretty average players who didn't gel at all. 

Fulham made massive cock ups they only have themselves to blame. 

On 01/06/2019 at 12:37, alreadyexists said:

I just really hope some of our more vocal and hard to please fans give the team and manager a bit of time. If we’ve not won our first three games, that’s ok, we need to get behind the team not gett on their backs if things dont go right straight away.

With Smith as a manager and all the goodwill Villa should be in the rare position where the fans would be prepared to give the manager more time than the board would, unlike 99% of clubs. 

I don’t think Smith should be sacked even if we go down.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

With Smith as a manager and all the goodwill Villa should be in the rare position where the fans would be prepared to give the manager more time than the board would, unlike 99% of clubs. 

I don’t think Smith should be sacked even if we go down.

I agree. Unless it’s a situation like 4 seasons ago when players had seemed to have given up and the manager was all out of ideas. I can’t see that happening though. 

Edit: under Smith I’ve only seen one game where the players all let themselves and the club down. Smith has mentioned the game to at times.  I can’t think of any other game where I’ve thought the players didn’t give their all.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2