Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

21 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I'm actually hoping that motivates our players that it is being thrown in their faces.  That people have already written us off.  Hopefully also that opposition team under estimate us.  

I live in hope!

I agree, I'm quietly confident. I feel like this break has helped the players and staff acknowledge their shortcomings. The ability is there, we just need the execution.

34 minutes ago, Jareth said:

With Mcginn back and Jack on form we will score. Staying up will come down to our GK and whoever partners Mings - that clicks and we'll be ok - if not we're screwed.

i suspect he'll stick with Reina, which means we're screwed. i'd like to see a proper return of the start of season form of 'Mingels'.

• Like 1

Many things we need to improve on but the top 2 

1)Defence - simply has  to be better , we have no hope if we can't start getting cleansheets 

2)Providing Samatta with chances , we know he is great in the air we need to get balls into the box as much as we can

Just because we've lost four games in a row it doesn't mean to say that that's how our form will continue, these kind of runs are the kind of runs that teams near the bottom of the table go on, that's why they're near the bottom of the table, but also those runs of form don't last otherwise we and other teams would be many points adrift already, for example we ourselves lost four games in a row earlier this season but then beat Norwich and went on a pretty decent run after that right until beating Leicester in the sem-final.

You know when you get back from holiday and as soon as the plane lands you start getting impatient. It gets worse as you queue for customs. Then you have to wait for your luggage. You get a reprieve when you get out of the airport, you're even able to briefly wander off a predetermined path to grab a sandwich or have a cigarette. Then you have to face lugging all your shit home; for me it's normally the joy of another 90 minutes over 2 or 3 trains/tubes. As I get closer and closer to home I start to get increasingly agitated and everything seems to take forever. I'll try to read something to distract myself but can only concentrate for 1 minute. My foot starts tapping. All I can think about is getting home, dropping my shit and passing out on a comfy bed.

Up until this afternoon it's been on my mind, but there has been other stuff to distract me. Now it's looming large and I cannot wait for football to be back. The last few hours have gone incredibly slowly. I'm seriously considering getting myself really pissed as otherwise I've got a feeling I'll be up all night like a kid at Christmas.

Christ, I'm going be gutted when we lose 3-0.

• Like 2

Seems like a lot of people on here think that the players having 3 months off to reflect on how poor most of them have been will result in a new found ability to defend properly and win games. If only it were thus. I'm not so optimistic myself. Hopefully they prove me wrong tomorrow.

I was talking about the football returning with an Albion fan at work today. I said that it won't be the same without the fans and that IMO Villa's hopes of survival have been wiped out because our toughest games are at home and we will not have our fans behind us to spur them on. 

The Albion fan agreed with me about the lack of atmosphere but not about the spurring on part. He reckons that Villa now have a much better chance of staying up. He said that playing at home in front of the Holte, for such a huge club with big money owners and the expectation in their first season, probably gets to the players. He reckons that not hearing the moans and groans from the stands, together with not getting jeered if they go a goal or two down, will give the players freedom and they may just thrive without that pressure on their shoulders. He reckons that Villa will stay up. 

I hope he is right. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I was talking about the football returning with an Albion fan at work today. I said that it won't be the same without the fans and that IMO Villa's hopes of survival have been wiped out because our toughest games are at home and we will not have our fans behind us to spur them on. 

The Albion fan agreed with me about the lack of atmosphere but not about the spurring on part. He reckons that Villa now have a much better chance of staying up. He said that playing at home in front of the Holte, for such a huge club with big money owners and the expectation in their first season, probably gets to the players. He reckons that not hearing the moans and groans from the stands, together with not getting jeered if they go a goal or two down, will give the players freedom and they may just thrive without that pressure on their shoulders. He reckons that Villa will stay up. 

I hope he is right. 

Pfft... when has a boggie ever got anything right?

Oh... hang on a minute...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Villarocker said:

I hope he is right. 

I think the same. Only probably is we’re a bit shit. 

On 15/06/2020 at 10:36, markavfc40 said:

Haven't posted on the main VT forum for a while as in all fairness I'd pretty much written off the season starting again and had switched off from football. It is certainly a welcome distraction now though.

In terms of our prospects I think after the Leicester game we were pretty much done. Now over 3 months down the line and a chance to reset I feel pretty confident. I think the squad has always had the ability to stay up and the reason we found ourselves in deep mire is that we initially had to try to get so many players to gel and that so many of them players were adjusting to the league and in many cases adjusting to a new country. As time went by allowing those adjustments we then increasingly found ourselves in the mire and the pressure of that then brought its own problems.

Now we have almost had another pre season. Most of the players have been here a year and the break has allowed minds to be cleared. I also think not playing in front of a crowd may help us. Whilst Villa Park is a great place to play it can also work against us when we go a goal down, or if we don't start a game well, the crowd gets edgy and the ball then becomes a hot potato for some players. This is obviously exacerbated given the position we are in. 

As long as we can cut out the mistakes at the back and the tendency to try to play out of trouble then hopefully we can be stronger defensively. Mings is obviously a good player, Engels for the first few months looked decent and Guilbert and Targett showed at times they are good players. Going the other way I have no real concerns as I am always confident we will score.  In Grealish we obviously have someone who can win a game on his own but McGinn, El Ghazi, Luiz, Trez are all capable of producing something special and in Samatta we look to have someone who will get himself in the right positions and when given the service will score.

Having written us off anything now is a bonus so bring it on. Hopefully we can get at least a point from Wednesday and build on that.

It's the hope that'll kill you 😉