Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

Well that was all really weird. From the water breaks to the silent stadium to fake crowd noise to Hawkeye giving up to socially distanced pundits. Just odd in all respects and not really PL football 

• Like 1

I don't anything mattered with me apart from a Villa win. Usually when I watch Villa I keep being nervous for the whole game, so no chance to think much about fun. I think a draw was ok (should've been a win looking at the game). But a good start.

Now we go back to watch other teams, Beginning with Norwich Vs Southampton. A draw would be perfect (Saints need to feel pressure so if they played against a rival the don't give them games as they did with West Ham and Newcastle). But it won't be so good if Norwich wins as they have an easier run than us, but again them having hope will only help to up there games against rivals.

That would make Saints 35, Norwich 22.

West Ham, Brighton, Watford all have some hard and tricky games, as we've seen they all have fight in them but they also could go in losing runs. So hopefully they start with losing.

Bournemouth have a tricky one, but usually Palace don't let us down, so here is a hoping!

Sheff Utd could do with a win at Newcastle.

That would keep West Ham, Watford and Bournemouth on 27, Brighton 29, Newcastle and Southampton on 35.

Some would say why am I putting the last two, actually they're still below 38 points, and we all know that teams can go in runs of 10 games without wins. Add to that the fact that most of relegation teams haven't played Newcastle, So still lot of 6 pointers. Atleast if results went wrong the other would get affected. If we win against them we could make the points between us 3-6 points.

Think we need 11 points from the remaining 9 matches.  3 wins and 2 draws.  Hard to see where they will come from. Best bets Newcastle, Palace, West Ham and perhaps Arsenal if they are out of contention for the European slots. But three of those matches are late in the season and our confidence may be shot if we go into them on a long losing streak.

5 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

No way we’ll survive. Far too many mistakes in our team. If the keeper doesn’t mess up, the defence will bail him out and mess up. 

That's way grinding results as these would help a lot. Imagine if Engels didn't have that last minute mistake? I think we'd have a much better results at Southampton and Leicester.

Anyway it's still game by game, let's hope other teams fail to get points the next couple of days.

4 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Think we need 11 points from the remaining 9 matches.  3 wins and 2 draws.  Hard to see where they will come from. Best bets Newcastle, Palace, West Ham and perhaps Arsenal if they are out of contention for the European slots. But three of those matches are late in the season and our confidence may be shot if we go into them on a long losing streak.

I think looking at it that way would make it a lot worse. If we're progressing while other teams aren't then that's good. If not then we're in a big trouble.

For example, if everyone lose and we somehow get a point against Chelsea then we'd be in a very good position going to Newcastle, otherwise even a draw would make us far adrift.

The more our rivals lose the more we have chance to make up our mistakes. The more they lose the less points we'd need. Even Norwich could stay up if they won this game, they could be 3 points to safety with somehow an easier run.

Only just renoticed that Watford, West Ham, and Bournemouth are all at home over the weekend, I know Watford are playing Leicester and West Ham Wolves which might seem like difficult games but hold it back Leicester have been out of form and I think their lofty position in the league owes much to the momentum they had before Christmas as much as anything else, and Wolves can't really be relied on always seem to drop point against the weaker teams especially when we need them to win. Bournemouth playing Palace who haven't really got anything to play for.

A win against Chelsea  would be most welcome and give retrospective satisfaction to last night's draw.

Edited by useless
I mean we could have done with three points last night but f we can beat Chelsea than four points from the two fixtures will be a good return, and last nights result will suddenly look a lot better as we look back upon it in retrospect.

9 subs yesterday and only Indiana made it from the U-23. That is disappointing.

I believe Dean is being harsh to the youngsters. I'd like to see Ramsey getting ahead of Baston and Jota in the pecking order

Edited by villalad21

1 hour ago, useless said:

Only just renoticed that Watford, West Ham, and Bournemouth are all at home over the weekend, I know Watford are playing Leicester and West Ham Wolves which might seem like difficult games but hold it back Leicester have been out of form and I think their lofty position in the league owes much to the momentum they had before Christmas as much as anything else, and Wolves can't really be relied on always seem to drop point against the weaker teams especially when we need them to win. Bournemouth playing Palace who haven't really got anything to play for.

A win against Chelsea  would be most welcome and give retrospective satisfaction to last night's draw.

In Bundesliga home form hasnt really helped teams until this matchday. I wonder if same will happen in England 

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

No way we’ll survive. Far too many mistakes in our team. If the keeper doesn’t mess up, the defence will bail him out and mess up. 

I agree - the mistakes are there, will take a lot of luck to stay up.

4 of those city subs are walking in to 18 other PL starting line ups, foden, zinchenko, otamendi, fernandinho get in to about 75% of them

Crazy 

Especially when you know they will spend another £100m on the defence this summer 

• Like 1

It is unfair, but IMO it's also necessary because of the number of unfit and lacking in match fitness players.

Bundesliga has had a massive increase of injuries, especially in the opening rounds, the PL will have the same. Even with 5 subs City had to finish the game with 10 men due to injuries and there were 3 in total that game.

Not sure if there were any in our game but I imagine a fair few subs were down to cramp and exhaustion?

These games would be even more farcical without these extra subs because players would be walking on their teeth the last 15 and more often than not be hobbling around with cramp. Would be comedy hour.

You could see the players were both unfit and lacked timing. 

Just looking through the European-chasing (which could be as low as 8th place, if Man City's ban is upheld/until it is overturned) teams' fixtures vs relegation-battling clubs:

Everton have a very slim chance so they might have to get something vs Liverpool in their first fixture before playing Norwich (A) next in Gameweek (GW) 31, then they're not involved again until playing Villa (H) in GW36 and Bournemouth (H) in GW38, when they'll surely be on the beach for both by then.

Crystal Palace play Bournemouth (A) this weekend (GW30) but aren't involved otherwise until they play Villa (A) in GW35, by which point they'll hopefully be out of it.

Burnley could have a big say in the relegation battle if they can stay in touch with 7th/8th place. Unfortunately they lose to Man City (A) first but that does mean they'll need to bounce back vs Watford (H) in GW31. In the run in they play against West Ham (A) in GW34, Norwich (A) in GW37 and Brighton (H) in GW38.

Arsenal need a win against Brighton (A) next after last night and vs Norwich (H) in GW32. They're not involved again until playing Villa (A) in GW37, so hopefully they'll be out of contention by then, though that would also apply to Watford (H) in GW38.

Tottenham just face West Ham (H) in GW31 and Bournemouth (A) in GW34.

Wolves start back up against West Ham (A), Bournemouth (H) and Villa (A), then aren't involved at all afterwards.

Sheffield Utd have no further part to play after last night unless Newcastle and/or Southampton get sucked in {Kenneth...}

Man Utd will probably be battling 'til the end of the season for a CL place. They have Brighton (A) in GW32, Bournemouth (H) in GW33, Villa (A) in GW34 and West Ham (H) in GW37, so will also have a big say in the race to the bottom [three].

Chelsea get off to a stuttering start to Villa (H) and Man City (H) so will need wins later against West Ham (A) in GW32, Watford (H) in GW33 and Norwich (H) in GW36 in order to get back into the top 4!

Leicester need to get off to a flyer against Watford (A) then Brighton (H) to solidify their top 4 credentials, but will hopefully still not be on the beach by GW34 against Bournemouth (A).

Man City have Brighton (A), Bournemouth (H), Watford (A) and Norwich (H) in GWs35-38 but will almost certainly having nothing to play for any of them unfortunately!

Liverpool will hopefully [🤮] have wrapped up their title by the time they play Villa (H) in GW33, but then the same will apply to Brighton (A) in GW34.

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Werner signed for Chelsea confirmed.

Can we get Tammy back now please.

Would he want to play in the Championship with us again tho?

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah the same defensive mistakes hause, mings and nyland.

Thwy have had bloody weeks to sort thia out and its still the same.

What are you on about?

One bad backpass from Hause. How do you 'train' that?

One ludicrous mistake from Nyland and another spilled catch besides. How do you 'train' that? Apart from that our defence barely gave United a sniff.

• Like 1