Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

34 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Imagine at the 65th minute City decide to bring on the likes of Sane and other attackers, and maximise on the 5 sub rule. Going to be brutal.

The 5 sub rule is going to bring a whole new dynamic to the games. I think managers will be more likely to make subs earlier if things aren't working. Better managers who see problems will have the ability to change things quicker and more fundamentally. 

6pm next Wednesday cannot come soon enough. 

3 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

The 5 sub rule is going to bring a whole new dynamic to the games.

4 minutes ago, Herman22 said:
  39 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Imagine at the 65th minute City decide to bring on the likes of Sane and other attackers, and maximise on the 5 sub rule. Going to be brutal.

I think this change really cheesed me off more than anything and finished me off somewhat.  Man City break the rules by overspending and offsetting that by inflated sponsorship deals.......get a ban, which is likely to be overturned I would assume.  The overspending resulted in more players for their squad and then a change to the end of this season is to change from 3 subs to 5 subs, which obviously aids bigger/better squads. 

It's almost like if you break the rules you'll still get benefit.  Yes, I know, Man City are still likely to get second place whatever but think of the teams that have to play Man City and how that could affect their placing because of the changes Man City can do with their subs.

At least try and hide the fact and do the 5 sub rule starting next season but doing mid way through the season is just plain unjust! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Interesting that Mungo Bridge got some game time yesterday in central defence. When Smith spoke of two of our players not being able to return because of too much risk associated with the virus, I wonder if one of them was a central defender, or maybe both. But then again we've only got four first team centre-backs, so spread over two games, there'd be enough scope to give a few youngsters a chance as well.

12 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

The 5 sub rule is going to bring a whole new dynamic to the games. I think managers will be more likely to make subs earlier if things aren't working. Better managers who see problems will have the ability to change things quicker and more fundamentally. 

It's my only real gripe with DS, he doesn't make changes soon enough or at the right times (imo obviously). This could either help him or expose him even more.

I trust in him, and I trust in the players. They've had a lot of time to evaluate our run in and I hope to see one of two things, we concede we can't defend and go for it or we have a new found resolve and determination to grind out results.

What we were doing before the enforced break, was sitting on the fence and it was very Lambertesque.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

It's my only real gripe with DS, he doesn't make changes soon enough or at the right times (imo obviously). This could either help him or expose him even more.

I trust in him, and I trust in the players. They've had a lot of time to evaluate our run in and I hope to see one of two things, we concede we can't defend and go for it or we have a new found resolve and determination to grind out results.

What we were doing before the enforced break, was sitting on the fence and it was very Lambertesque.

It's a great point, we were sitting on the fence and it's something I have been thinking about.  Is it best to lock up and try and grind results or take the old adage of "attack is the best form of defence".  Now normally the latter option is not wise given we are still one of the poorest teams in the premiership despite the fact we can score goals and teams are likely to open us up quicker than a fat kid opening a packet of sweets.  On the same tone, I'm not sure we have the defensive players who have the ability to grind out results.  Aside from tactics we also seem to have players that constantly make personal errors.  Maybe that's because they are exposed too much but still.  So the whole grind out results or attack....it'll be interesting to see what we do.  Can we even change how we play at this late stage, I'm not sure. 

4 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Pictures on the official Facebook page show Grealish and Samatta at VP, where both teams played in away kits, and Davis battering Wes Morgan at the KP in home strips.

Anyone know when we’ve played at home in a change shirt before?

I remember we played a pre-season friendly about 50 years ago, against Italy U-21s at Villa Park and we came out in our new away kit. Villa were booed when they came out of the tunnel, because everyone on the Holte End thought they were the visitors. We weren't very welcoming back then, even for a friendly.😊

Edited by John
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Herman22 said:

I'm concerned about the 5 sub rule. Those teams who are limited on talent against the teams who have better talent on the bench are going to struggle, namely us for one.

Again were here where a rule had been made and it benefits those clubs who have a wealth of class players throughout there squads.

It will take Smith everything he has and more to undo top squads with five subs at play, were in for a horrid time I think. If I were Smith I'd save the speedsters for last and use the strength players to drain the opposition as early as possible

6 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

I thought exactly the same! Looks like he might have given Wes Morgan and Ndidi a hard time, he looks so powerful. It might be interesting to note that Leicesters 1st choice CB pairing played at Villa Park and kept a clean sheet (allegedly?). From the pictures I’ve seen we can definitely see that Davis, Targett, Vassilev, Drinky, Nyland, Elmo, Hourihane, & Trezeguet all played at the King Power for Villa. Leicester players at the King Power included Morgan, Matty James, Vardy, Praet, & Ndidi. Villa players who played at Villa Park include ElGhazi, McGinn, Samatta, Luiz, and I assume Reina? Leicester players at Villa Park included Evans, Soyuncu, & Maddison. That’s as much as I could see. 
Anybody know which game Grealish played at? 

Seems to have come out this morning that our line ups were:

Villa Park:
Schmeichel
Justin, Evans, Soyuncu, Chilwell
Maddison, Mendy, Tielemans
Albrighton, Iheanacho, Gray

King Power:
Ward,
Choudhury, Morgan, Fuchs, Thomas (this defence is horrifying)
James, Ndidi, Praet
Kapustka, Vardy, Barnes

I have seen a good picture of Matty James and Danny Drinkwater battling for the ball from the King Power game which is quite nostalgic to see

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Kapustka what happened to him, was a bit of hype about him after Euro 2016

Yeah I was really looking forward to seeing him play for us when we signed him, but in 16/17 he only played in the odd cup game, 17/18 he got loaned out to Freibury but never really played and when he did he didn't do much

18/19 he was with our sister club in Belgium 2nd division for the first half of the season and was doing okay but then he got a cruciate ligament injury in March 2019 and didn't come back from it until January 2020 and has now only played the odd game for our youth side

But it seems like Rodgers has started using him in with 1st team training so he might get his chance during the rest of this season, possibly off the bench, I certainly hope so! Only has 1 year left on his contract so if he doesn't get much game time the rest of this season I can see him being sold this summer

Edited by Fox1884
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, sne said:

According to the fine publication that is The Sun all Bournemouth players with expiring contracts except Ryan Fraser will sign contract extensions for the remainder of this season.

So that's  Charlie Daniels, Simon Francis, Artur Boruc and Andrew Surman 

People got really carried away thinking hundreds of players were just going to leave on July 1st, it's pretty common sense considering the season is ongoing.

Edited by VillaChris

9 hours ago, Dave-R said:

I'm concerned about the 5 sub rule. Those teams who are limited on talent against the teams who have better talent on the bench are going to struggle, namely us for one.

Again were here where a rule had been made and it benefits those clubs who have a wealth of class players throughout there squads.

It will take Smith everything he has and more to undo top squads with five subs at play, were in for a horrid time I think. If I were Smith I'd save the speedsters for last and use the strength players to drain the opposition as early as possible

From what I've seen in the Bundesliga most clubs are making the 5 subs but from around 65th min mark and it's really just for fatigue and players injured. Haven't seen many game changing subs from the games I've watched as likes of Bayern, Leverkusen and Dortmund were already winning as they're simply the best teams in the league.

I suspect that will be the same here. Likes of Man. City and Liverpool will be 2 up by hour mark in most of the games they'll play as has been the case so far this season. Below that I really don't see all these super squads people are talking about. Arsenal and Spurs have spent most of the season bumbling around in mid table, Spurs hardly won a game after Son and Kane got injured so clearly just rely on a couple of key players and Man. United have been putting out some of their worst 11s in last 30 years this season. They've improved since January because a mid season signing has really galvanised them rather than likes of Lingard, Jones and Pereria have suddenly improved.

Leicester have done well but their results went south when Ndidi and Vardy were missing for a few games.

We do have options. Luiz had some good games off the bench in January, scored and assisted v Watford/Brighton and upped our tempo when coming on when we were 1-0 down in both. Perhaps a few games on the bench would give El Ghazi a kick up the backside and get him refocused. Davis is an option for keeping the ball in last 15 minutes and Trezeguet scored v Leicester after coming on in last 20 minutes. You have to hope aswell that Drinkwater should be capable at least of coming on with 10 minutes left in a game we're winning 1-0 and showing some leadership to get us through that last tricky part (the main problem so far is he's been starting games and blowing out of his backside after 25 minutes).

Up to Dean Smith to use them at the right times as he's been very weak at that so far this season and it's cost us plenty of points.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Large gathering of fans outside Sevilla stadium last night. Maybe this will give them the wake up call for the big games be played neutral venues

There will be hundred thousand outside Anfield then. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, screwdriver said:

I remember we played west ham at home in the prem wearing our away kit. must have been in about 2012. Some guy in front of me walked out in disgust seconds before kick off. "I came to watch a team in claret and blue" he complained.

I think we wore white away kit

Also a bit earlier than that we wore our away kit when we beat Atletico 2-1 at home in 98.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1