Cup Final One (of three) - pre-match

mjmooney

4 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

After tonight's events I'll still be bricking it if we win the first leg 3-0.

I wouldn't worry too much. Liverpool were very unfortunate to lose the first leg, let alone 3-0. The better team went through.

I think we have been a little unfortunate to have a two goal deficit for our encounters against WBA so far..

Now we are in a much better place as a team, the form side of what's left of the competition.

If they give up the lion's share of possession like they did in their last game and our last meeting, then I can see us taking a lead into the second leg.

We have a numerical advantage on them for shots, possession, pass accuracy, dribbles per game.

They only scored 0.1 more goals than us over the regular season. Our first three months were under Bruce, and Smith had to settle in.

What I'm trying to say is I like our chances..

As someone else said they have an excellent forward line, an average midfield and a poor defence.

We need to dominate that midfield, which will cut off their strikers and make them rely on the long balls, and punish their defence when we can. Easier said that done, but I think we can dominate that midfield with the players we have, and from there run the game. It’ll likely be edgy to start with, but if we can get an early goal we can fly. 

God I’m excited!  

19 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

No way we should play Jedinak in either leg - he's done a job this season but is a cart horse and ruins our general play if he plays. If we play a DM we have to play Whelan, but I think Hourihane, McGinn, Grealish is still our strongest midfield albeit one that doesn't protect the defence so well. It's a shame we don't have someone like Kalvin Phillips who looks excellent at this level in that role. Regardless of which division we're in next season, I think a young holding midfielder should be a priority signing in the summer. 

If we get past West Brom, which I think is 50/50 and could go either way, then of course would much rather Derby than Leeds in the final. Leeds have battered us twice this season and we can't seem to hold possession against them - though having said that very few teams can get the ball off Leeds. The only thing you could say is that Leeds may be psychologically scarred from finishing third, aren't in great form, and miss lots of chances. I'd still much rather play Derby though who we have completely outplayed twice this season and have a 7-0 aggregate lead over. 

Battered us twice! A lucky late winner at VP and a draw at Elland Road can't be construed as two batterings. Give your head a wobble! 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Steer
Elmo
Mings
Tuanzebe
Taylor
Whelo
McGinn
Grealish
El Ghazi
Green
Abraham

Kalinic
Hause
Jedinak
Hourihane
Adomah
Kodjia
Davis

Would rather see Lansbury or Thor on the bench than Jedinak.

10 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

It’s a tricky one isn’t it? Lansbury brings that energy and passing to midfield, but Jedinak is so good aerially that he’s a good option to have. 

Edited by alreadyexists

44 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

Battered us twice! A lucky late winner at VP and a draw at Elland Road can't be construed as two batterings. Give your head a wobble! 

They were probably the better side at Villa Park but Leeds aren't playing anything like that well now. We were the better side at West Brom and but for a shocking mistake by the ref we would have won. Even if we are level after the first leg I would still fancy us to go through

2 hours ago, alreadyexists said:
2 hours ago, pacbuddies said:

It’s a tricky one isn’t it? Lansbury brings that energy and passing to midfield, but Jedinak is so good aerially that he’s a good option to have. 

It's not tricky for me.  Lansbury gets nowhere near the first 18.  Thor maybe.  But at least Jedinak is good at what he does.

• Like 1

Battered us twice! A lucky late winner at VP and a draw at Elland Road can't be construed as two batterings. Give your head a wobble

Maybe battered is a bit extreme, but in the league games against Derby we have won 3-0 and 4-0 and comprehensively outplayed them in both. So I'd rather we play them. Leeds press, they're dirty, and they keep the ball well. Even when they were in dire form and we were in good form, we had to defend heroically at Elland Road to get a point, even though we shouldn't have been down to 10. I'm not saying we can't beat Leeds in the final, but for me personally I'd be more optimistic if we played Derby.

We have to get past West Brom first anyway, there'll probably be lots of goals and I'm hoping we get through. We were the better side in both the league games this season and would have won the away game but for blatant cheating for their goal, so hopefully justice is done in the playoffs. 

7 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

If you think Leeds are the only shot team in the playoffs, you haven't been watching West Brom lately. They really, really needed to sort that manager issue out weeks ago. With Rodriguez and Gayle up front they are always going to cause problems, but without Barnes and with ageing legs in midfield, I don't see how they keep a hold of us for 180 minutes. If we are aggressive enough up against the likes of Gibbs, Holgate, Bartley, we will score goals, it's going to come down to how many we concede in return. 

I would 100% start Whelan on Saturday and then assess it from there. Take it one game at a time. He looks to me to be in at prime fitness and his game management is just so much better than Hourihane's, plus you obviously trust him more defensively. West Brom will likely play quite direct, so you want him using his jedi mind trick to pick up those second balls, setting us up for the counter or settling the game when needed.

Hourihane on the other hand will be much more effective from the bench, dropping into those pockets of space and bursting into the box against tired legs. It's a no-brainer for me.  

So you're saying if West Brom score more than us, we don't win?

That's some far out thinking man ;)

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115cd218f44152396173

I know he's now more solid defensively these days and seems to have sorted himself out, but every time he crosses the halfway line he still doesnt know what to do. On that basis I'd have Hause in the team ahead of him, he also offers height at both ends of the pitch for set pieces and passes the ball much better.

• Haha 2