Cup Final One (of three) - pre-match

mjmooney

So we have a fully fit squad to choose from, but Albion have a few issues here.  Robson-Kanu banned, Barry definitely out, Livermore struggling and unlikely to play either leg.  

Now my Albion season ticket holder mate has told me that if they play three at the back again then they are all at sea and not comfortable with it one bit.  He also said that they have no real options up top if Gayle or Rod need replacing/get injured.  

Finally, he is really worried regarding our pace from midfield onwards and thinks we will score goals past them and thinks there only way of winning is to outscore us.  

Now I'm a bit of a pessimist and can't help but worry, but the few Albion fans I work with seem really worried about the two games!  Could be a bit of kidology here, but there is not a lot of confidence coming from the other camp, which bodes well for us I think.    

This is our year surely folks UTV  :flag:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Yeah that's my general impression too, from both Albion fans and what I have seen myself. That the only team who can beat us in these playoffs generally is ourselves.

I bloody hope so mate. I love the Championship, I think it might be my favourite league in the world and I will continue to watch it regardless. But I am done with being 2nd tier, Quest TV and weekday trips to Luton(!). I'm ready for more of the glam. I want this club to test itself against the very best, see how far we can go with it. 

I agree with you re the Championship.  Generally two games a week, looking to win most weeks and some of the best Villa goals i've seen in my time since we've been relegated funnily enough?  However, we need higher tier money to grow as a club again and Wolves have shown that you don't have to be cannon fodder if you spend the Sky money wisely.  I actually think we have the makings of a good squad that can cope if promoted, but that's for a different discussion thread.  

It won't be easy, but I think we'll win on Saturday.  After watching a couple of games this week, anything can happen over two legs, but generally taking a lead into a second game is what you want.     We can do this and go to Wembley brimming with confidence. 

P.s  Quest TV won't be missed will it?  Dean Ashton etc! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Yeah that's my general impression too, from both Albion fans and what I have seen myself. That the only team who can beat us in these playoffs generally is ourselves.

I bloody hope so mate. I love the Championship, I think it might be my favourite league in the world and I will continue to watch it regardless. But I am done with being 2nd tier, Quest TV and weekday trips to Luton(!). I'm ready for more of the glam. I want this club to test itself against the very best, see how far we can go with it. 

I think we are the best team as well as obviously being the form team of who's left. That said Derby is the only team remaining that we have beaten this season.

I'm less concerned with Albion than I am Leeds. I just know Bielsa will be doing all that one can in these moments. Prepare to the best of your ability. And the mad man has ability.

But this is not the time for highlighting any doubts I have and my ignorance in regard to how things will play out. These times are for faith, hope and celebrating our team.

Love what you said about testing ourselves against the best and seeing how far we can go with it. That's what sports about, it's never about making up the numbers.

I'm a sucker for romance, and it is quite romantic to have Grealish and Smith at the helm. Both are proving that they are more than ready to challenge the best going around.

Then you look at the rise of the Milwaukee Bucks, and it would seem we have an owner who can make it happen for us too. I mean so far so good, right?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

So we have a fully fit squad to choose from, but Albion have a few issues here.  Robson-Kanu banned, Barry definitely out, Livermore struggling and unlikely to play either leg.  

Now my Albion season ticket holder mate has told me that if they play three at the back again then they are all at sea and not comfortable with it one bit.  He also said that they have no real options up top if Gayle or Rod need replacing/get injured.  

Finally, he is really worried regarding our pace from midfield onwards and thinks we will score goals past them and thinks there only way of winning is to outscore us.  

Now I'm a bit of a pessimist and can't help but worry, but the few Albion fans I work with seem really worried about the two games!  Could be a bit of kidology here, but there is not a lot of confidence coming from the other camp, which bodes well for us I think.    

That's generally how it works 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Johansen worries me. He's got a knack for scoring goals from midfield and is a prem quality midfielder. Other than that I'm not too worried, we just have to get the ball down and play fast paced. Glad we have Mings who will stand up to their long ball game really well.

I think West Brom are conceding about 2 goals per away game since Moore left. We are potent going forward, so I reckon they'll try and park the bus in the first leg. Fans need to be patient - if it's 0-0 at 85 minutes, we can still win 3-0!
And this is why I'd play Hourihane instead of Whelan; grab an early goal and it could scupper their plans - get a couple in the first half and they might have to make changes and it could get silly.

We need to start like a steam train and run them ragged. the second leg is 3 days later, and I think we could tire them out a bit - they aren't a youthful team, and they've all played a lot of games. We are, and most of our team have had breaks this season for one reason or another.

The West Brom fans I speak to are really pessimistic. The only hope they have is that they think we concede loads too - I don't think they've looked at the stats since we played them at Villa Park - less than a goal a game.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

I have to agree I am getting that impression too.

My WBA mate is not very confident at all and already thinks we are in the final.

They hate the fact Moore got sacked and generally think Shan hasn't a clue.

It's gonna be a great game and the tension seems to be building by the hour for me.

• Like 1

When we played Leeds in December Alioski absolutely tore Taylor to shreds, like I said we are playing better teams now so we should just pick the best players. Hause is much better the left back and offers more at set pieces as well.

Not Taylor's biggest fan but he didn't even play that game - Hutton played left back and was awful. Elmo also had a bad game but has improved a lot since. 

Pretty much agree with DDIG's team except I'd have Hourihane over Whelan purely because I think we should go for it and Hourihane is always a goal threat. But wouldn't complain too much if Whelan started given his ability to build attacks from the back.

No chance I'm starting Hourihane. He's shown far too many times how easy it is for him to disappear. Useful if we're absolutely dominating and no other scenario.

I suppose plan is to come flying out the blocks and dominate from the off so Smith may see it that way.

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

No chance I'm starting Hourihane. He's shown far too many times how easy it is for him to disappear. Useful if we're absolutely dominating and no other scenario.

I suppose plan is to come flying out the blocks and dominate from the off so Smith may see it that way.

Was it not Hourihaine who put in some half soaked tackle on Rodriguez in the lead upto the second?  Whelan every day for me tomorrow