Cup Final One (of three) - pre-match

mjmooney

Should beat them over 2 legs.

Only worry is they have a lot of goals in them and might nick a few out of nothing even when they play badly.

16 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I'd imagine 99% of us would agree on 9 of the players to start on Saturday - Steer, Elmo, Mings, Axel, Taylor, McGinn, Grealish, El Ghazi and Tammy. The only debates are Whelan or Hourihane and Green or Adomah.

I think with one eye on the second leg and Whelan perhaps not able to start two games in four days Smith will go with Hourihane in the first leg. I also have a feeling he'll go with the more attacking option of Green and if we can take a lead to the Hawthorns we'll then see Whelan and Adomah start.

Fair points but not for me.

We could be out the tie by the Second Leg. Whilst I think CH is unfairly criticised ( nowadays) for his DM abilities it’s Whelan who’s reading of danger and ability to release our attacking players that’s been crucial in our run, for me.

He presents the Baggies with a much more formidable barrier than CH and, especially in a First Leg at home, gives better licence to the others to be on the front foot.

We have to win the battles first, and Whelan is the man for that.

If that works, he can come off after an hour and still start in the Away Leg.

We shall see.

How great to have this to look forward to, and how great that these days we are all debating stuff like team selection rather than the Manager or the quality of the football !

My opinion ?

I think we will obliterate them at VP.

• Like 4

I’m reading a few comments about Whelan not being able to start both games, I think he can & probably will. For me he certainly starts at VP because his presence allows the McGinns of this world to roam forward and cause problems in the final third of the pitch. We just need to keep doing what we’ve been doing for the last two months and not get carried away. Our best is better than WBAs best, I’m certain of that. Our football will prevail if we keep our nerve and discipline. I’d be expecting their front 2 to be under instruction to press onto Mings & Tuanzebe all the time so as to try and nullify them bringing the ball out from the back. Derby dispatched them relatively comfortably on Saturday and I’m certain we’re a better outfit than Derby. Stick to our football, make sure Mings & Tuanzebe are on song, and Grealish & Co should do the rest. We don’t have to go all out to try and kill the tie at VP because we’re equally effective away from home IMO, Leeds away the other week showed our mettle against a top team. Have to say I’d probably start Adomah over Green for this game. 

Steer,Elmo,Taylor,Mings,Tuanzebe,Whelan,McGinn,Grealish,ElGhazi,Adomah,Abraham. Bench;Kalinic,Hourihane,Lansbury,Kodjia,Hause,Green,Jedinak. 

• Like 3

I think we will emulate last seasons results with 'Boro

draw at VP and beat them at the Hawthorns.

My only concern is with Gayle and Rodriguez, they have a habit of bungling goals in.

46 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Really hoping we can put 3 or 4 past them on Saturday, effectively kill the tie before the 2nd leg.

Maybe wishful thinking.

For now...I've settled on my score prediction.

I think we'll win 3-1.

3-0 up, concede once and end the game massively on the back foot.

5 hours ago, maqroll said:

Theyre gonna kick the crap out of Jack and I wouldn't be shocked if they tried to intentionally injure him

The Villa players will be well aware of that and will be ultra protective of him so as soon as Grealish is is hit expect fireworks. Hopefully that will draw the attention of the ref fairly quickly administering bookings to stomp it out?

Villa will have too much quality for WBA over two legs but not against Leeds in the final if thats the way it pans out. Spoke to a Leeds supporter today who told me that his team are totally shot. Don't believe it for a minute. 

No way we should play Jedinak in either leg - he's done a job this season but is a cart horse and ruins our general play if he plays. If we play a DM we have to play Whelan, but I think Hourihane, McGinn, Grealish is still our strongest midfield albeit one that doesn't protect the defence so well. It's a shame we don't have someone like Kalvin Phillips who looks excellent at this level in that role. Regardless of which division we're in next season, I think a young holding midfielder should be a priority signing in the summer. 

If we get past West Brom, which I think is 50/50 and could go either way, then of course would much rather Derby than Leeds in the final. Leeds have battered us twice this season and we can't seem to hold possession against them - though having said that very few teams can get the ball off Leeds. The only thing you could say is that Leeds may be psychologically scarred from finishing third, aren't in great form, and miss lots of chances. I'd still much rather play Derby though who we have completely outplayed twice this season and have a 7-0 aggregate lead over. 

• Like 1

So, do I watch it at home where I get to fully focus/concentrate on the match without interruption - probably getting more out of it, or do I go down to my local where there'll be more of an atmosphere but obviously more distraction - and booze.  Won't be that much of an atmoshpere mind you, given the time of day and the fact my boozer is hardly a Villa hotbed.  I dunno.  I'm leaning towards staying at home for it for now.

Really shocked how negative they are. They've taken 4 points from us and finished higher in the league. With Gayle they've got a great goalscorer. Going to be a tough game imo. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

That is a remarkably sensible thread and thoughts on it tbh.

I'm surprised they're as pessimistic as they are, but I would make us favourites over two legs.

Shows just how much they're bricking it. They're usually quite nasty towards us on that board.

I'm not able to allow myself anything other than fearing it's going to be a tough fight. Please, team, please make me relax a bit by scoring at least two during the first 30 minutes at VP.

3 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

No way we should play Jedinak in either leg - he's done a job this season but is a cart horse and ruins our general play if he plays. If we play a DM we have to play Whelan, but I think Hourihane, McGinn, Grealish is still our strongest midfield albeit one that doesn't protect the defence so well. It's a shame we don't have someone like Kalvin Phillips who looks excellent at this level in that role. Regardless of which division we're in next season, I think a young holding midfielder should be a priority signing in the summer. 

If we get past West Brom, which I think is 50/50 and could go either way, then of course would much rather Derby than Leeds in the final. Leeds have battered us twice this season and we can't seem to hold possession against them - though having said that very few teams can get the ball off Leeds. The only thing you could say is that Leeds may be psychologically scarred from finishing third, aren't in great form, and miss lots of chances. I'd still much rather play Derby though who we have completely outplayed twice this season and have a 7-0 aggregate lead over. 

Leeds have not battered us twice this year

• Like 4

6 hours ago, striker said:

The Villa players will be well aware of that and will be ultra protective of him so as soon as Grealish is is hit expect fireworks. Hopefully that will draw the attention of the ref fairly quickly administering bookings to stomp it out?

Villa will have too much quality for WBA over two legs but not against Leeds in the final if thats the way it pans out. Spoke to a Leeds supporter today who told me that his team are totally shot. Don't believe it for a minute. 

I’ve watched most their games, and saw them first hand the other week.

I agree with the supporter you spoke to, they are shot. They are a decent team, so won’t give up easily, and will seize any chance given, but if Derby get after them and have a wee bit of luck as we all need, I think they will beat them fairly comfortably.

Which is nice because a Villa Derby Final will be a good day out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BOF said:

So, do I watch it at home where I get to fully focus/concentrate on the match without interruption - probably getting more out of it, or do I go down to my local where there'll be more of an atmosphere but obviously more distraction - and booze.  Won't be that much of an atmoshpere mind you, given the time of day and the fact my boozer is hardly a Villa hotbed.  I dunno.  I'm leaning towards staying at home for it for now.

Go to the pub. These games are not about analysing the game, they are about experiancing the game. 

In 10 years time you will not be saying "remember that amazing game when Jack scored a hat trick? So glad I stayed in for that."

• Like 3