Cup Final One (of three) - pre-match

mjmooney

Kodjia is also on 3 goals in the last 4 matches. I think Dean basically has to play him. Kodjia is in too good of form to bench. 

Also does he go Hourihane or Whelan. If West Brom do play 5 at the back, Hourihane would be the smarter option. 

• Like 1

Their 3-5-2, will mean if they can keep gibbs and holgate pushed up they'll have more bodies in the middle than us. Need big games from El Ghazi and Adomah/Green try and get in behind Gibbs and Holgate and drag the CBs wide. I'd play Hourihane, Grealish and McGinn as our 3, as all 3 could see the right ball in behind their wing backs quickly and not **** it up. Hourihane gives us more threat on set pieces and will help us attacking a bit more. As good as Whelan has been in the great run in, the away leg will suit him more for me.

If we score first and Gibbs and Holgate push up to try and chase the game we could get a few, if they score first it'll be tough breaking down a 5 at the back.

Stakes are so **** high it's obscene. 

26 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Their 3-5-2, will mean if they can keep gibbs and holgate pushed up they'll have more bodies in the middle than us. Need big games from El Ghazi and Adomah/Green try and get in behind Gibbs and Holgate and drag the CBs wide. I'd play Hourihane, Grealish and McGinn as our 3, as all 3 could see the right ball in behind their wing backs quickly and not **** it up. Hourihane gives us more threat on set pieces and will help us attacking a bit more. As good as Whelan has been in the great run in, the away leg will suit him more for me.

If we score first and Gibbs and Holgate push up to try and chase the game we could get a few, if they score first it'll be tough breaking down a 5 at the back.

Stakes are so **** high it's obscene. 

El Ghazi was unplayable at The Hawthorns 🤞🏻.

• Like 2

I'd go;

Steer

Elmo   Tuanzebe   Mings    Taylor

McGinn    Grealish    Hourihane 

El Ghazi      Abraham       Kodjia 

Subs;

Kalinic, Jedinak, Whelan, Lansbury, Davis, Green, Adomah 

Attack Attack Attack !

If we can get a lead to take to the hawthorns I would then be looking at starting with Whelan and possibly Lansbury.

Our squad is looking pretty strong at the moment, with Chester, Elphick & Hause not in the above 18.

I’d play Kodija instead of Adomah/Greene and give him license to stay up the pitch as much as possible.

id play Whelan instead of Conor to compensate for some defensive cover.

No way west Brom will be able to handle Tammy, Jack, McGinn, El Ghazi and Kodj.

12 hours ago, Czechlad said:

Kodjia is also on 3 goals in the last 4 matches. I think Dean basically has to play him. Kodjia is in too good of form to bench. 

Also does he go Hourihane or Whelan. If West Brom do play 5 at the back, Hourihane would be the smarter option. 

I wasn't that happy with Kodjias second half performance tbh. Tammy is more a threat and his work rate is exceptional. 

Have big kodj on bench for this one. 

• Like 3

How fantastic to have players to chose from, up front, wingers, midfield and defence. What a difference from last year

I can only see us winning. But god I'm bricking it and still 4 days to go OMG. IMO we need a cricket score, put it to bed on Saturday (me and the lad already got train tickets to London, only £22 return)

30 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Theyre gonna kick the crap out of Jack and I wouldn't be shocked if they tried to intentionally injure him

Well they made a good job of it last time. Probably ended our chances of top two.

• Like 1

Last two performances for me have been a bit concerning, we've conceded roughly 50 shots in two games. Obviously we need to put into context we played a weakened team against Norwich and were down to 10 for the last 20 mins against Leeds, but hopefully the freshening up of the team against Norwich means they'll go all guns blazing against Albion whilst staying tight defensively. Albion are very good on the counter attack, so we need to be wary of that as I'm sure we'll be the dominant team in the home leg. Jack and John will be crucial and key to opening them up. 

Team I'd go for:

....................................Steer......................................

Elmo............Tuanzebe............Mings............Taylor

.......Hourihane..........Grealish...........McGinn.........

Adomah.....................................................El Ghazi

....................................Tammy................................

Potentially subbing out Adomah for Kodj, but he concerns with his lack of tracking back. Green could potentially also play over Adomah, and Hause over Taylor, so some good options. Hopefully Chester makes the bench. 

15 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Would play Whelan in first leg for sure.

Think he'll struggle with the two games in 80 hours so would expect Hourihane to start the second leg.

I am still having nightmares about Hourhane's last game playing DM against West Brom, where he showed all the strength of an 8 year old for the second goal.

I would go Jedi over him tbh, I really would.

20 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I am still having nightmares about Hourhane's last game playing DM against West Brom, where he showed all the strength of an 8 year old for the second goal.

I would go Jedi over him tbh, I really would.

Jedi has been very good since signing for Villa but I don't think he has the legs to play the way DS demands. I think he's good cover to have on the bench if we need to see out a game. But he shouldn't be starting any of the next 2-3 games. If Hourihane isn't going to start Whelan is more than capable of stepping in. Personally, I'd start Hourihane because of his quality from set plays. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wilko154 said:

The problem with playing Kodjia is he won't track back and help out the full back. He's also got that selfish streak in him that a wide player shouldn't have. Whilst he's been scoring goals whilst Abraham was out his workrate hasn't been the same and we struggle to press as well as we do with Abraham playing.

Green was good in the last game, I would play him on the right with El Ghazi on the left.

As will Deano.

No way in the world does JK start unless Tammy is injured.

The team picks itself ( in my view).

Steer, Elmo, Axel, Tyrone, Taylor, Whelan, Jack, both Mcginns, Tammy, El Ghazi, and Green.

Hause, CH, JK, Albert, certainties for the bench, with two from Hutton, Jedi, Davies, Lansbury, And Birkir.

Id stake my mortgage on it.