Cup Final One (of three) - pre-match

mjmooney

Reading their forum, they have issues in central midfield. I don’t think Livermore is fit, Brunt is getting on and the other young lads aren’t up to it. I fancy us to win that battle.

We need to attack as a form of defence. Keep the ball as far away from their front two as possible who are good enough to cause us problems.

We’re probably the better team on paper but this one will be extremely tight. 

10 minutes ago, chappy said:

Even though it’s only a four day week I think work is going to drag!

It’s Monday morning and I’m not working and this week is already dragging. 

Getting through the Norwich game unscathed was the only result that mattered. The fact Grealish, McGinn, Mings and Abraham were all rested tells you all 4 will start. I think the team almost picks it’s self at the minute. Only decisions are who plays holding midfield and who gets the call on the wing Green or Albert. I think I’d go with this:

Steer

Elmo Tuanzebe Mings Taylor

Whelan

Green McGinn Grealish ElGhazi

Abraham

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Steer, AEM, Mings, Tuanzebe, Taylor, Whelan, Grealish, McGinn, El Ghazi, Green, Abraham

I'm just a little unsure about Green in that lineup. 

• Like 1

Squeaky bum time, but I believe going through it last year will help us immensely this time round. 

WBA are fading and I think made a mistake letting Moore go when they did. They’re decent going forward but we are better all round than them

I also fancy Derby to beat Leeds and I think our experience and current form will see them off in the final

Amazing from Smith and team!

• Like 1

Grind these stripy shirted words removed into the Villa Park turf WITH A JACKBOOT ON THEIR NECK.

Please.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I know better than to be arrogant about it, but I think they won’t know what hit them. It will be a matter of not being wasteful in front of goal, because I think we’ll dominate them in open play. 

• Like 2

We have the experience. We did this before, and we have leaders in this team. Terry, Jack, Chester, Hourihane, Whelan, Adomah, Kodjia, Elmo, Taylor, Hutton, etc they were all with us last season. They know what it was like to lose that match and they know what it takes to win. All on the line. This is it. We need to win. 

• Like 1

I’m nervous already!

I would go;

Steer

Elmo    Mings   Tuanzebe   Taylor

Adomah  Whelan  McGinn  El Ghazi

Grealish

Tammy

Got my ticket, can’t blooomin wait!

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I’m nervous already!

I would go;

Steer

Elmo    Mings   Tuanzebe   Taylor

Adomah  Whelan  McGinn  El Ghazi

Grealish

Tammy

Got my ticket, can’t blooomin wait!

The only tweak from this Dean might do is Green in for Adomah. Or if he feeling ballsy af Kodj in the starting XI as well.

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

The only tweak from this Dean might do is Green in for Adomah. Or if he feeling ballsy af Kodj in the starting XI as well.

I did think about Green tbh, and Kodjia can be very good cutting in from the wing. I don’t think Kodj has the defensive abilities though so I wouldn’t start with him on the wing, or up front unless Tammy isn’t fit. 

I'd imagine 99% of us would agree on 9 of the players to start on Saturday - Steer, Elmo, Mings, Axel, Taylor, McGinn, Grealish, El Ghazi and Tammy. The only debates are Whelan or Hourihane and Green or Adomah.

I think with one eye on the second leg and Whelan perhaps not able to start two games in four days Smith will go with Hourihane in the first leg. I also have a feeling he'll go with the more attacking option of Green and if we can take a lead to the Hawthorns we'll then see Whelan and Adomah start.

• Like 4