Cup Final One (of three) - pre-match

mjmooney

Can’t go to this game and as such gutted about it. 

Booked a holiday when the play offs looked like a pipe dream. Then came 10 in a row and bingo.

Now have to watch it in a bar and hope there’s some fellow Villains about and no Tesco’s in sight.

Still excited about though and I’m hoping we smash em and make the 2nd leg a stroll.

( they won’t do a Liverpoo against us) (the bars were full of plastic scousers last night) 😝

UTV 

35 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

So you're saying if West Brom score more than us, we don't win?

That's some far out thinking man ;)

You know me, always thinking outside the box!

What I mean is, I don't see any West Brom to nil scorelines. Though I'd be happy with winning the first leg 2-0 and losing 1-0 at the hawthorns. 

I say happy, I'll probably have a heart attack come 88 minutes. 

38 minutes ago, Junxs said:

I know he's now more solid defensively these days and seems to have sorted himself out, but every time he crosses the halfway line he still doesnt know what to do. On that basis I'd have Hause in the team ahead of him, he also offers height at both ends of the pitch for set pieces and passes the ball much better.

LOL I was going to ask if that was the man the myth the legend that is Neil Taylor

49 minutes ago, Junxs said:

I know he's now more solid defensively these days and seems to have sorted himself out, but every time he crosses the halfway line he still doesnt know what to do. On that basis I'd have Hause in the team ahead of him, he also offers height at both ends of the pitch for set pieces and passes the ball much better.

It's not just about what he does, it's also about what he allows El Ghazi to do. They have a cracking little partnership on the go, and Taylor is pretty good at playing his part in those tight one touch quick passing situations, particularly linking up with El Ghazi and Grealish. Such as here 👇

I'm not saying Hause can't do that, I don't know for sure, but I know Taylor can and has. He is better in the opponents half than he is given credit for. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 4

he literally gave Grealish the ball back with his first touch, if thats the best example you can find of Taylor being a useful attacking threat then we might as well finish this debate now.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Junxs said:

he literally gave Grealish the ball back with his first touch, if thats the best example you can find of Taylor being a useful attacking threat then we might as well finish this debate now.

Well not really, it was something that sprung immediately to mind considering it won goal of the season. Cracking response though, you really put me in my place. 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Steer
Elmo
Mings
Tuanzebe
Taylor
Whelo
McGinn
Grealish
El Ghazi
Green
Abraham

Kalinic
Hause
Jedinak
Hourihane
Adomah
Kodjia
Davis

I think at Villa Park you play Hourihane ahead of Whelan. If going to the Hawthorns with a lead, bring in Whelan and swap Green for Adomah.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Junxs said:

Well that’s partly the point.  Do you think it’d have been better if he’d hung on a bit, maybe taken three or four touches ?

If only he had we might have scored a decent goal out of it, eh ?

IMO the twin partnerships Deano has created all over the pitch are a major part of our success, with Taylor/ El Ghazi being one of them.

Even more, there are a lot of ‘ triangle’ partnerships which spring from these. Whilst Hause has performed very well after a poor debut, there’s no reason to break these things up. Taylor’s forward play has been very good of late, in my view.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Hornso said:

I think at Villa Park you play Hourihane ahead of Whelan. If going to the Hawthorns with a lead, bring in Whelan and swap Green for Adomah.

No, non, niet, nein. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

Do you think it’d have been better if he’d hung on a bit, maybe taken three or four touches ?

If only he had we might have scored a decent goal out of it, eh ?

No, I rather he didn't - watching him over the last 3 years or so it's better he doesn't get too involved in the attacks as he just ruins them.

Like I said he's been fine defensively in our good run, but lets not pretend he's turned into Marcelo

Hause for me is the better player overall so should start

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Junxs said:

No, I rather he didn't - watching him over the last 3 years or so it's better he doesn't get too involved in the attacks as he just ruins them.

Like I said he's been fine defensively in our good run, but lets not pretend he's turned into Marcelo

Hause for me is the better player overall so should start

Taylor may have improved but he is still the worst of our back four when it comes to attacking. He’s often too ponderous on the ball in the opposition half. However he’s been  present in the team during the run we’ve been on and I’d be uncomfortable changing things right now. He needs to be shown the door this summer though, whichever league were in.

Barring rodriguez and gayle what other strikers do they have now that Robson kanu is out of all of them?  He scored against us at villa Park that's a welcome suspension 😃

For me has to be axel and mings at cb. Hause maybe at left back. 

No chance we would be dropping Taylor now, he is bang in form at the minute and linking up extremely well with El Ghazi. They remind me of the partnership Elmo and Snoddy had last season.

Since Taylor took the shirt back from Hause he has played 11, conceded 8 with 4 clean sheets. Compared to the state of our back line in the early parts of the season it's absolutely remarkable.

Don't get me wrong Hause is a fantastic player, but for me you can't change a winning side and the Elmo, Tuanzebe, Mings, Taylor combination have played a huge part in recent weeks.

• Like 2

I actually think Hause > Axel is more likely due to the height thing. West Brom have 23 goals from set pieces, 3rd in the league and only 1 less than us (top). 

Hause is winning 4.9 headers a game. Right there with Pontus Jansson and Aiden Flint. For reference Mings (2.8) and Tuanzebe (3.3) are miles behind. Jedinak is at 6.8.

Sample size could be playing a part here, but my eyes also tell me Hause is really bloody good in the air. 

• Thanks 1

We could go:

Steer

Elmo    Mings    Tuanzebe    Taylor

Whelan

Kodjia    Grealish   McGinn   El Ghazi

Tammy

Kodjia and Tammy haven’t played together as much as they could have and Kodjia is good at coming in from the wing. Just a thought.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I actually think Hause > Axel is more likely due to the height thing. West Brom have 23 goals from set pieces, 3rd in the league and only 1 less than us (top). 

Hause is winning 4.9 headers a game. Right there with Pontus Jansson and Aiden Flint. For reference Mings (2.8) and Tuanzebe (3.3) are miles behind. Jedinak is at 6.8.

Sample size could be playing a part here, but my eyes also tell me Hause is really bloody good in the air. 

Mings is huge though there is no way he won't play. 

It's a tough call between hause and Taylor for me. Taylor is woeful when he passes the half way line and very small. Hause height like you say could be crucial 

18 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

The 2 CL semis show we cant take anything for granted in the 2nd leg.

I'm bricking it!

That works both ways though mate, if we should lose at home then there’s always hope over two legs.

• Like 2