Cup Final One (of three) - pre-match

mjmooney

So, how are we feeling about this? I have a couple of mates who are Baggies fans, and they are both very pessimistic. Their analysis is basically as follows: Albion have a good midfield and strikers, but Villa have a good defence; whereas Villa also have a good midfield and strikers - but Albion have a crap defence. Ergo, advantage Villa. Me, I'm a born pessimist, so I don't like to call it. 

• Like 2

Worried? No

Apprehensive? Yes

The winning/unbeatan run is irrelevant now, even if we hadnt lost today going into these 2 derbys, form goes out the window.

I believe our first 11 is better than theirs, apart from Gayle I don't think there's a player from there team who I'd like in ours. For all the pessimism Albion fans are showing it's going to be 180 minutes of nervy, tackles flying in and pressure, and that's not mentioning that cheating bastard Rodriguez.

1-1 in the first leg for me. 

• Like 1

If I was a neutral I’d put us as favourites with a bit of daylight between the two sides. As I’m not, I think we have the better team and are in the better form, but I still feel apprehensive about it.

I think if we win the home game, we’ll go through. 

Going back to the neutral point of view, my brother who doesn’t support any of the teams in contention is convinced the eventual play off winners will come from this tie.

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Anyone that takes part in the playoffs and enjoys it is a wrong un.

I don't like it. I don't like how much is at stake. I don't like that it's them. I don't like that I make us favourites.

The whole thing just has me all of a bother.

I’m with ya, it’s terrifying.

They won't be too far off this team...

NTmQATn.png

Some observations...

I think that matches up well against a 433. Three centre backs to mind Tammy. Two up top against our back two.

It is a huge team. 5 or 6 over 6'2" to attack Brunt set-pieces. Need Mings and Tammy at their best defending set-pieces. That's been a constant source of uneasiness with Steer for me. Hope he can keep his bearings alright because Brunt's delivery is magnificent.

Matt Phillips is the only wildcard who is just getting back to fitness. He could play in the middle or wide for them, a dangerous player.

We're better though and I wouldn't take a 1-0 win if you offered it me right now. I back us to score at least two and I think keeping them out at set-pieces will be vital.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Anyone that takes part in the playoffs and enjoys it is a wrong un.

I don't like it. I don't like how much is at stake. I don't like that it's them. I don't like that I make us favourites.

The whole thing just has me all of a bother.

If it helps, I can tell you we will definitely Win.

Hope that does the trick 🙂

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm always nervous for games like this, but I think we easily have enough to beat them. Especially over two legs.

Though I am wary of the forecast of someone who So blithely dismissed the chances of Ipswich beating Leeds (😏)....I very much agree.

We are stronger all over the pitch, in my view.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

If I was a neutral I’d put us as favourites with a bit of daylight between the two sides. As I’m not, I think we have the better team and are in the better form, but I still feel apprehensive about it.

I think if we win the home game, we’ll go through. 

Going back to the neutral point of view, my brother who doesn’t support any of the teams in contention is convinced the eventual play off winners will come from this tie.

Well that’s clinched it for me !

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, terrytini said:

Though I am wary of the forecast of someone who So blithely dismissed the chances of Ipswich beating Leeds (😏)....I very much agree.

We are stronger all over the pitch, in my view.

I saw that result and literally the first thing I thought was “how long until someone brings that up on VT?” 😬😬

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Our form is peaking at the right moment. Our best players has had some well needed rest. Have to say I'm fairly optimistic. Going to be nerve wrecking though. 

I'd consider getting Hause in on the left side. Harsh on Taylor. But would add some airial strength. 

Steer

Elmo, Tuanzebe, Mings, Hause/Taylor

McGinn, Whelan, Grealish

Green, Abraham, El Ghazi

For me. 

Edited by Skruff
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

They won't be too far off this team...

NTmQATn.png

Some observations...

I think that matches up well against a 433. Three centre backs to mind Tammy. Two up top against our back two.

It is a huge team. 5 or 6 over 6'2" to attack Brunt set-pieces. Need Mings and Tammy at their best defending set-pieces. That's been a constant source of uneasiness with Steer for me. Hope he can keep his bearings alright because Brunt's delivery is magnificent.

Matt Phillips is the only wildcard who is just getting back to fitness. He could play in the middle or wide for them, a dangerous player.

We're better though and I wouldn't take a 1-0 win if you offered it me right now. I back us to score at least two and I think keeping them out at set-pieces will be vital.

Looking at that team the key battle will be cm. Mcginn grealish and either whelan/Hourihane will hav eto be at their best. 

Their cm isn't the quickest but they can can dig deep and battle. 

• Like 1