Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

Just now, MaVilla said:

looks like Webster to Brighton is gonna happen, 20 or 22m depending on the news outlet.

Makes you wonder how serious we were with going in for him?, if we had really wanted him sure we could have stumped that up, does make me wonder if DS really wanted him at all (maybe was willing to go 10-15 rather than 20/22?)

Are people generally happy with Engels & Konsa for 20m?, rather than Webster for 20/22m?

Webster perhaps Plan B for Mings?

• Like 1

Just now, MaVilla said:

looks like Webster to Brighton is gonna happen, 20 or 22m depending on the news outlet.

Makes you wonder how serious we were with going in for him?, if we had really wanted him sure we could have stumped that up, does make me wonder if DS really wanted him at all (maybe was willing to go 10-15 rather than 20/22?)

Are people generally happy with Engels & Konsa for 20m?, rather than Webster for 20/22m?

I would rather have Engels, Konsa & Hause, rather than the risk of having Elphick as back up if we did sign an experienced PL defender.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Yes. Much better value and who knows how much Konsa could be worth in future. A £20m player for £12m was a bargain.

44 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

Konsa was being regularly selected ahead of Axel for the England u21s.

That doesn't make him better, and Axel does have a (short) history of injuries which may have impacted on him playing. However, I do not understand why Axel for (make up a figure) £25m+ would be better than Konsa for £12m either in the short term or the long term. And then there's that history of injuries. 

We needed players, and personally I'm delighted we signed the 2 you mentioned instead of just Axel.

Fair enough. I'm by no means disappointed in Konsa and Engels. They are just a complete unknown to me and given the choice is probably have looked to have kept Axel knowing that I think he will be very capable in the league and keeps more of last year's team together whilst still being within our transfer criteria.

Still excited by Konsa's potential and I've heard some good things about Engels, hopefully they live up to it!

• Like 1

If we signed someone from outside the EU on or before deadline day can the WP be sorted afterwards, or does it need clearance before a player can legally sign? 

If we are still thinking of ridiculous players we could be interested in what about Wilfred Zaha. Everton seemed mostly likely but I guess that may have changed with the Moise Keane acquisition. Would cost an arm and a leg but I'd put it in the just more likely to happen than Coutinho or Bale category. 

Still only 26 feels like he's been around forever. 

20 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I think it's likely we've had a long list of players we were considering. Each player had an upper valuation assigned, and when we were quoted higher prices we moved on to the next one. I think Konsa was a direct replacement for Webster. I think the price we got quoted for Phillips put us off and we moved on. There's probably a long list of targets this happened with. Could well be Benrahma was another one of these. 

1 minute ago, pete101 said:

Never been a fan of zaha , always thought he was the most over rated player in English football, think a lot of my dislike for him comes from his constant bitching about being fouled , jack gets a lot worse treatment and just gets off the floor and gets on with it

also doubt he would fit what DS wants, for all his running etc, i dont think Zaha is technically very good in terms of short, crisp passing etc.

17 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Fair enough. I'm by no means disappointed in Konsa and Engels. They are just a complete unknown to me and given the choice is probably have looked to have kept Axel knowing that I think he will be very capable in the league and keeps more of last year's team together whilst still being within our transfer criteria.

Still excited by Konsa's potential and I've heard some good things about Engels, hopefully they live up to it!

I understood where you were coming from, and I think most of us would have loved Axel back. I think that the (likely) inflated price and the likelihood that any decision would be at the end of the window meant that Konsa, on balance, was the better option - in my opinion

26 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Yes. 

We needed numbers, so unless Engels and Konsa are the second coming of Lescott and Richards, I'm happy. Even if Webster becomes 'the next John Terry'; that's football.

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

also doubt he would fit what DS wants, for all his running etc, i dont think Zaha is technically very good in terms of short, crisp passing etc.

One of my best mates is a Palace fan so I've seen a fair bit of them over the last few years. Without a doubt he has single handedly kept them up for several years now. He is hit and miss as all of these types of players are but on song he is unplayable. 

I don't think he fits the bill in that I dont see his value rising much if any from what it would take to buy him. That said there is no doubt he would improve us and I'd imagine the thought of him and Wesley would give several PL defenders some sleepless nights. 

5 minutes ago, pete101 said:

Never been a fan of zaha , always thought he was the most over rated player in English football, think a lot of my dislike for him comes from his constant bitching about being fouled , jack gets a lot worse treatment and just gets off the floor and gets on with it

Indeed, and this bit in bold, I hope that Jack continues in that way... Let the ref/VAR do the finger-wagging. Just do you best Jack and let them worry about you.

Zaha seems a bit of an enigma to me. I can't decide whether I think he's good or not.