Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

I think the argument is instead of signing all of {Engels, Konsa, and Hause}, who obviously can’t all play next to Mings, we sign proven quality like Dunk and keep Elphick as backup. Or instead of {Trezeguet and Jota} we go all in on someone like Zaha (or whoever) and keep Adomah as backup. You could make an argument that {Douglas and Marvo} combined was overkill, and some of that money could have been directed to Zaha (again, or whoever) instead of spreading things out so thin. Obviously don’t jump on my case about the specific names I’ve listed, they’re just examples.

I personally disagree with this strategy, but it’s more reasonable than some of you are suggesting. VT groupthink in full swing.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

Webster to Brighton

Tuanzebe to Newcastle.

Those do make me think that unless Chester is totally ruined that one ofthose would have been better investments that Engels and Konsa for £21m. But that does depend on Chester being able to play if needed, 4 CBs is enough and I know the quality of those two players better than the two we've bought TBF so maybe I'll change my mind. 

Konsa was being regularly selected ahead of Axel for the England u21s.

That doesn't make him better, and Axel does have a (short) history of injuries which may have impacted on him playing. However, I do not understand why Axel for (make up a figure) £25m+ would be better than Konsa for £12m either in the short term or the long term. And then there's that history of injuries. 

We needed players, and personally I'm delighted we signed the 2 you mentioned instead of just Axel.

2 hours ago, Genie said:

The guy has been a manager for 30 years, but a comment he made that "goes against the grain" of the VT transfer police is null and void because he left his role as England manager for non footballing reason...

I bet if SAF were to agree with Sam that would be rubbished too, because he suggested Alex Mcleish would be a good fit as manager, he knows nothing also.

Yeah but he is as good a manager as Steve Bruce. Big Sam is just Steve without a broken nose. If you want Steve Bruce's transfer policy back you can go and support Newcastle and when they get relegated you can come crawling back and apologise. 

10 hours ago, Enda said:

It’s not stupid to say we should hold back 10 million in reserve in case Wesley completely flops or Targett breaks his leg. It’s a legitimate argument, even if you and I may strongly disagree with it.

Yer even proving my point.

You honestly can't be suggesting that Purslow & Suso in all their planning have forgotten that we may need funds in January?

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 2

That guy who tweeted yesterday about berardi said it was a closer to £110mill spend than sums quotes by the clickbait press... looking at his twitter profile I tend to believe him ... Suso and Purslow aren’t amateurs they know the game and it’s not like the bad times of Dr fraud round & wyness 🤮 just chill peeps and rejoice at our rebirth and stop worrying about have we brought too many players in supposed fee’s and let’s enjoy it !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

The guy has been a manager for 30 years, but a comment he made that "goes against the grain" of the VT transfer police is null and void because he left his role as England manager for non footballing reason...

I bet if SAF were to agree with Sam that would be rubbished too, because he suggested Alex Mcleish would be a good fit as manager, he knows nothing also.

SAF doesn't get everything right, he bought Djemba Djemba before we did

42 minutes ago, Raver50032 said:

Not trying to patronise anyone, so <shrug> sorry if that's how you've taken it.

Absolutely, you can think of Allardyce as a fool (as do I mostly) but occasionally, he'll say something that 'we' do actually agree with. Same with Collymore and Mills... The likelihood is, that all of the sources that Genie quoted (and was shot down by one poster) are more credible than you or I to have an educated opinion from the industry perspective having been involved in the industry of football over time in a variety of roles. They might be proved right, they hopefully, will be proven wrong. But nobody can just turn round and say that those three sources don't add any weight to the debate. 

What I was trying to say was, had Allardyce, Collymore and Mills all been on the Fun Bus with us and said the Club were doing an amazing job, even with a slight amount of caution relating to the risk, (you, as in the 'royal you') regardless of whether the masses believed them to be fools/cockwombles etc, would be given a lot more credence on here because it matches the general feeling of us as fans. If that doesn't apply to you then fair enough. Imagine if the young lady doing the Q&A on Youtube asking the question about whether Villa were 'doing a Fulham' had upheld the notion that indeed that was what we were doing... She'd be pulled apart on here and no mistake. Come on, patronising or not, you know that's how it would play out on here.

Anyway, we seem to agree that Villa have done the right thing this summer, and that Allardyce is a fool. Have a great day 👍

I've dipped in and out of this whole conversation.

But to describe something a "risk" isn't explaining the situation or their own opinion enough. It's just throwing out a loose term and not backing it up.

As has been said. Buying no one is a risk. Buying some is a risk. Leaving your house with all this rain about is a risk, you're far more likely to stay dry if you stay at home.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, thabucks said:

That guy who tweeted yesterday about berardi said it was a closer to £110mill spend than sums quotes by the clickbait press... looking at his twitter profile I tend to believe him ... Suso and Purslow aren’t amateurs they know the game and it’s not like the bad times of Dr fraud round & wyness 🤮 just chill peeps and rejoice at our rebirth and stop worrying about have we brought too many players in supposed fee’s and let’s enjoy it !

He wasn't including add ons. I see no reason not to figure them in.

26 minutes ago, Enda said:

I think the argument is instead of signing all of {Engels, Konsa, and Hause}, who obviously can’t all play next to Mings, we sign proven quality like Dunk and keep Elphick as backup. Or instead of {Trezeguet and Jota} we go all in on someone like Zaha (or whoever) and keep Adomah as backup. You could make an argument that {Douglas and Marvo} combined was overkill, and some of that money could have been directed to Zaha (again, or whoever) instead of spreading things out so thin. Obviously don’t jump on my case about the specific names I’ve listed, they’re just examples.

I personally disagree with this strategy, but it’s more reasonable than some of you are suggesting. VT groupthink in full swing.

I think that a strategy whereby you have subpar players who are not fit for purpose waiting in the wings behind an overpriced first choice is terrible and should be ridiculed. Why?

You will almost certainly need them to play at some point. Oops. They also provide no competition and are a waste of resources. So you could say pointless. I know you said you dont agree. This is not aimed at you or anybody in particular.

I dont know what you mean by groupthink. There's no clique here in my opinion. Nobody is saying you cant have an opinion, but if you get ridiculed for having an opinion some people think is nonsense, that's just part of forums isnt it? Why so sensitive? It's nothing personal.

Last I'll say on this because its tedious. I havent seen one argument that suggests what we've done this summer is anything but correct.  Not even close.

Edited by Mazrim
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

In other news: Any gossip today?

Bale, Couthinho, Berlotti, Berardi, Zapata, Götze, Maupay, Benrahma all mentioned today. I wouldn't have believed it two weeks ago but things are getting madder and madder, I don t know what to believe no matter how ridiculous!

1 minute ago, thunderball said:

In other news: Any gossip today?

Bale, Couthinho, Berlotti, Berardi, Zapata, Götze, Maupay, Benrahma all mentioned today. I wouldn't have believed it two weeks ago but things are getting madder and madder, I don t know what to believe no matter how ridiculous!

Imagine Coutinho and Berlotti/Berardi...

28 minutes ago, Enda said:

The suggestion takes no account that these expensive, proven premier league players would more than likely have better options than newly promoted villa. 

Edited by DCJonah

looks like Webster to Brighton is gonna happen, 20 or 22m depending on the news outlet.

Makes you wonder how serious we were with going in for him?, if we had really wanted him sure we could have stumped that up, does make me wonder if DS really wanted him at all (maybe was willing to go 10-15 rather than 20/22?)

Are people generally happy with Engels & Konsa for 20m?, rather than Webster for 20/22m?

16 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Imagine Coutinho and Berlotti/Berardi...

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Mmm, sounds risky to me.

to be fair, Liverpool were/are a better team without Coutinho.