Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

17 minutes ago, Genie said:

Post like this don't help. You don't have to love him, but he has a very good record as a manager. He was the national team coach.. but no, doesn't know what he's doing

he did know what he was doing, brought in a lot of sports science and analysis that is now wide spread across English football but much like wenger everyone took his good ideas, did them better and he was left clutching on to what was before

him having his moments as a manager doesn't mean that his opinion is correct though, he's now cast adrift and fighting for relevance, his football career is more or less over and been replaced by a rent a gob one, he is paid for his opinion creating discussion, he lives and dies by generating debate, debate is generated by negativity and criticism, a full in-depth analysis of aston villa's summer transfer spending and how it impacts our club structure and morale is 1) beyond him because he simply doesn't have that knowledge 2) boring for anyone who isn't a villa fan, so he's not going to even try to do it, instead he's going to spark a reaction from villa fans whilst fanning the flames of the outsiders looking in

that's exactly what he did

his opinion is worthless because I don't believe for one minute it was well thought out or even genuine

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Yeah all 1 of them. Slovakia. 

There was something else that happened during his tenure if I remember correctly. 

He made the pint of wine fashionable 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Genie said:

You don't know if it will work but you do know that without doubt it was the right thing to do? 🤔

Yeah it’s two separate things.

I can be uncertain as to whether all these signings will work out.

But I can also be certain (or as near as can be) that signing them gives us more of a chance than if we had stuck with a handful or more of the players we let go.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Genie said:

I'm not sure if this could be any more off topic and irrelevant if you tried. He left by mutual consent for a non football related incident (as you know).

But you bought it up. You used the fact that he was England manager to validate his opinions. I was pointing out that as England manager he left in disgrace after being embroiled in corruption and bribery allegations (not for the first time in his managerial career). 

The reason he left was an entirely football related incident. Wasn't an on the pitch incident but entirely football related.

Not sure I put much stock in the words of a unemployed (as a manager) ex manager who has long been known for poor football and constantly embroiled in corruption allegations. In my opinion his view on our transfer activity is worthless.

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Genie said:

I'm not sure if this could be any more off topic and irrelevant if you tried. He left by mutual consent for a non football related incident (as you know).

We’re discussing the merits of the comments made by a former football manager about our transfer policy on our transfer window thread. I’m not sure that’s too far wide of being on topic. Unless you believe anything said by the gentleman in question should be in a none football thread? 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Is no way we could have went into this season with Jedi, Whelan, Adomah, Hutton etc in the squad and then just adding 4 players like Allardyce said

We would have been a laughing stock come May. This was necessary

Jedi will be forever in our debt for scoring a his penalty against Sandwell Town and so will Whelan for missing his against Preston!

Men I salute you! 

54 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

I don't think your sources really help your case.

On the contrary... they are all quite credible sources in real terms. As a general collective on here though, we just choose to dismiss it and ignore it as noise. Had the three sources been more supportive of the approach we have taken and blown smoke up our arses, I am sure that there would be a virtually polar opposite of our collective view and we'd be more than happy to say they were all talking sense. The only dissenters in that case would be those who were feeling it was a risky situation.

Sometimes, we only listen to what we want to believe.

It is a risk that we are taking into the new season. But one worth taking in my view. The club, the manager and the players have my support come what may in May.

Peace be with you all as we ride the Happy Bus into the new season. 👍

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

We’re discussing the merits of the comments made by a former football manager about our transfer policy on our transfer window thread. I’m not sure that’s too far wide of being on topic. Unless you believe anything said by the gentleman in question should be in a none football thread? 

The guy has been a manager for 30 years, but a comment he made that "goes against the grain" of the VT transfer police is null and void because he left his role as England manager for non footballing reason...

I bet if SAF were to agree with Sam that would be rubbished too, because he suggested Alex Mcleish would be a good fit as manager, he knows nothing also.

• Confused 1

50 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Because its so clearly wrong. 

If my opinion was that hourihane should be our lone striker this season, i'd be jumped on because although it is my opinion its just a ridiculous one. 

Fair enough. 

I think that's a crap analogy because that's a much more ridiculous scenario than a guy thinking making 12 signings is risky.

But each to their own.

I'm not defending genie's opinion because I don't agree with it. I just don't understand why some people are so baffled by it.

FWIW the only two other villa fans in my office share Genie's view so he certainly isn't alone.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Raver50032 said:

On the contrary... they are all quite credible sources in real terms. As a general collective on here though, we just choose to dismiss it and ignore it as noise. Had the three sources been more supportive of the approach we have taken and blown smoke up our arses, I am sure that there would be a virtually polar opposite of our collective view and we'd be more than happy to say they were all talking sense. The only dissenters in that case would be those who were feeling it was a risky situation.

It is a risk that we are taking into the new season. But one worth taking in my view. The club, the manager and the players have my support come what may in May.

This guy gets it ☝️

• Like 1

There's no doubts in my mind that some of the signings we've made will be duds. We were never going to have a 100% success rate with this type of strategy. The alternative of giving contracts to players that were barely good enough to get us out the Championship would have been a much worse plan though. That i'm certain of. The one concern I do have with the strategy we have taken is that there could be some form of unrest in the dressing room with all the players coming and going, but.... they're professionals and it's down to the management team to strike the right balance in that regard, and I trust Smith to do that.  

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Fair enough. 

I think that's a crap analogy because that's a much more ridiculous scenario than a guy thinking making 12 signings is risky.

But each to their own.

I'm not defending genie's opinion because I don't agree with it. I just don't understand why some people are so baffled by it.

FWIW the only two other villa fans in my office share Genie's view so he certainly isn't alone.

Really there's 2 ways to play the Summer window. Both involve a level of investment. Neither guarantee success.

1) Mine and some others: We retain a select few of the players we released to reduce the size of the surgery needed on the squad. We focus our buying on lower risk, proven premier league players and bed them in.

2) The way Villa have done it: major surgery, clearing out a lot of players from last year and bringing a lot of players in. 

(My view ❗) is that 1) is less risky, but has its limitations. We're not going to take the league by storm, it gives us a fair chance of staying up and "going again". Option 2) looks like it could go either way. It'll be a massive success and we'll be riding high, or it just won't work. Lots of players unfamiliar with each other and unfamiliar with the premier league may end in disaster. 

As a club we've gone with 2), that's fine. They have my full support as always.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Raver50032 said:

No, I would still think BFS was a cockwomble, much like I think Collymore is as well.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Really there's 2 ways to play the Summer window. Both involve a level of investment. Neither guarantee success.

1) Mine and some others: We retain a select few of the players we released to reduce the size of the surgery needed on the squad. We focus our buying on lower risk, proven premier league players and bed them in.

2) The way Villa have done it: major surgery, clearing out a lot of players from last year and bringing a lot of players in. 

(My view ❗) is that 1) is less risky, but has its limitations. We're not going to take the league by storm, it gives us a fair chance of staying up and "going again". Option 2) looks like it could go either way. It'll be a massive success and we'll be riding high, or it just won't work. Lots of players unfamiliar with each other and unfamiliar with the premier league may end in disaster. 

The issue with number 1 is that you have to do major surgery eventually, somewhere down the line. I would love to hear who you would have kept and who you would have signed in that scenario?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Thats a more reasoned approach.

Now, who would you have retained from those we have let go (by choice)? Obviously we could not get Tuanzebe or Abraham back, and let's assume that Hause, Mings and El Ghazi are a given.

Who would you have retained? And then, who are the experienced premier league players that we should have bought instead.

Suso, Purslow and Dean Smith’s opinions are the only ones that matter to me as they are the ones who are overseeing our rebuild. Dean Smith obviously didn’t think the players released are good enough for the Premier League. 

He is buying players he has worked with before or he has been tracking for a while. Fulham’s demise on the face of it draws many parallels to our transfer window in headlines only. Once one does some research then they will see it is in fact totally different.

All we need now is The Mystery £70 Million (?) striker/ winger so we can collectively stick a finger up at the doubters.

• Like 1