Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

That link covers 4 years (and 1 month). 24 players, or 6 per year, 3 per window on average...

No it doesn't.

25 Players in 3.5 years or 24 in a shade over 3 years.

Not getting into the argument though!

3 hours ago, Wezbid said:

Bullying? Give over. It's just that multiple people found some of your comments somewhat baffling and gave you reasons as to why. If you post something that goes against the grain then people are going to respond. The fact that many people have responded just suggests how against the grain your view is. It doesn't mean bullying. 

Yeah on here we are a nice honest thread. We only bully SGC and Delphiniho

• Haha 1

@Genie‘s concerns are valid, we don’t know if they will gel. I believe they will as I think there will be quite a good team spirit amongst the place. 

I think on paper the team has improved, and some of the players look very accomplished on the ball which is exciting. 

No one can say who is wrong or right tho, becoming a long drawn out argument that is going nowhere. 

I think we can all agree tho that it’s going to be a very exciting season and I think we will turn over some of the big teams. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Raver50032 said:

On the contrary... they are all quite credible sources in real terms. As a general collective on here though, we just choose to dismiss it and ignore it as noise. Had the three sources been more supportive of the approach we have taken and blown smoke up our arses, I am sure that there would be a virtually polar opposite of our collective view and we'd be more than happy to say they were all talking sense. The only dissenters in that case would be those who were feeling it was a risky situation.

Sometimes, we only listen to what we want to believe.

Wrong and very presumptuous. I wouldnt champion Allardyce if all he talked about was Villa favourably. See that Bristol goblin who used to manage Blackpool too. Speaks highly of Villa now. I still think he's a fool.

Edited by Mazrim

So basically the argument is keeping most of Bruces Villa squad together and almost certainly being relegated. Or using our owners immense financial wealth to allow our manager to build his own team and give us the best chance of competing...

Sorry, which one was the risk again?

Edited by Mazrim
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Grealish, Mings, McGinn, El Ghazi still represent the core of the team from last season.

Hourihane, Steer, Kodjia, Elmo, Taylor, Hause, will still be part of the squad and rotated in providing more consistency. Those in bold have premier league experience

The rest will have varying levels of success and failure as they bed in and get to grips with the Premiership.

My only worry is we are putting a lot of hope on Wes, and it would be great to have another proven striker to share that burden which I think the club is already trying to address. I imagine Hogan will be sold, Davis loaned and Kodjia retained or even sold if we get someone else in. 

55 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Look we all know it's a risk. It's a massive risk. Chances are half the signings we have made won't live up to the billing. However, it was the best option available to us and it has been executed in the best way possible. The rest is up to the players, coaches and a bit of luck. 

:lol: All the more reason to buy shitloads of players. If we buy 50 then we should have a whole squad who'll live up to billing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

That's 4 years. I'm not sure what the point was you were making. You also mentioned £84m invested, that's £21m per year, or about £3.5m per player. 

The last transfer was January 2015 and I’m pretty sure the window opened the day after that period so the last half a year is a bit tenuous to include.

It wasn’t me that mentioned the cost though.

Just pedantry - I’m not getting into the actual argument.

2 minutes ago, privateer said:

:lol: All the more reason to buy shitloads of players. If we buy 50 then we should have a whole squad who'll live up to billing.

Didn't Billing already sign for Bournemouth?

12 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Wrong and very presumptuous. I wouldnt champion Allardyce if all he talked about was Villa favourably. See that Bristol goblin who used to manage Blackpool too. Speaks highly of Villa now. I still think he's a fool.

Not really, we all thought Collymore was talking sense when he was barracking Lescott?Richards and co. If you like someone's opinion and it matches your own, 'you'll' (as in the royal 'you'll) believe it more. If you think someone is a cockwomble but still accept what they are saying,  you'll listen with confirmation bias and others, you'll dismiss because they don't share your view. It's part of life. It's not really an issue is it?

Anyway, peace be with you, and back on the Happy Bus

15 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

So basically the argument is keeping most of Bruces Villa squad together and almost certainly being relegated. Or using our owners immense financial wealth to alliw our manager to build his own team and give us the best chance of competing...

Sorry, which one was the risk again?

Yes the entire debate has me totally baffled.

• Like 1

Genie hi! 

I think there is something your not taking into account, which is that the team that got promoted wasn't the finished article by any means. 

If you look at the way we play in pre-season, we have a narrow 3 behind a striker. For this to be effective you need you wide men to either overlap or pump dangerous crosses in from deep. This means only Elmo and Guilbert fit that role. Taylor doesn't  Hutton is too old and lost a yard of pace and always got exposed in the premier league in his prime. 

We also have the weakness of the defensive midfield area. Leeds for example out worked us in both games. Conor is bypassed to easily by any player with a bit of speed or strength. Whelan was flagging come 65-70 minutes.

So in a nutshell left back and defensive midfield were issues that held us back on the pitch.

Then you have Smith's vision which is clearly based around pace and energy. Apart from Engels and Targett every player signed this summer has pace. And with Engel likely to be alongside Mings or Hause he would have a rapid partner. Targett can run all day and has a wicked delivery. The pace a energy of our team in midfield is very impressive now. Luiz is rapid and Marvelous is no slouch. McGinn and Grealish while not possessing genuine pace have a great ability to cover ground. Our widemen are quick and everyone (in midfield) is capable of running the ball out of defence. This midfield duo of Grealish and McGinn is what everything is being built around. Whelan just isn't complimentary to them, he did a job for us just like Conor in the dm role. With conor we have a player that can slot in nicely if Jack or John are out as we have added creativity with Jota and Wesley.

Also loans have **** us over as firstly 3 of our signings were with us last season (so to me don't count as signings) and our other 2 significant loans are either not available or only available on loan. 

Chester can at best play once a week so 5 Centre back is a necessity, and as Chester was our only CB, 4 CB's was essential alongside a left back. We have two new dm's with very similar strengths which are key to our midfield. Wesley was needed to replace Abraham as Hogan has flopped and Kodja is 30 and unlikely to improve. 12 signings in reality is the bare minimum needed. It's a risk we HAVE to take from Smith's point of view, as only by doing do we have a squad with the attributes to play the football Smith envisions and the depth needed to not be caught out in the event of an injury crisis.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Raver50032 said:

Not really, we all thought Collymore was talking sense when he was barracking Lescott?Richards and co. If you like someone's opinion and it matches your own, 'you'll' (as in the royal 'you'll) believe it more. If you think someone is a cockwomble but still accept what they are saying,  you'll listen with confirmation bias and others, you'll dismiss because they don't share your view. It's part of life. It's not really an issue is it?

Anyway, peace be with you, and back on the Happy Bus

And that is also the art of subconsciously selling.

• Like 1

Don't know if the Harry Wilson rumours are true, but just watched a bit about him and he seems to enjoy drifting in centrally from the right and is left footed. And that kinda suits how Deano sets up our right flank with Jota etc.