Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

6 minutes ago, jonjon said:

Be patient, he's on his way to you 😉

Having just looked at your forum I’m not sure whether to take comfort as a Villa fan that we’re not the only ones who struggle with release clauses or despair for humanity!

Edited by Sam-AVFC

4 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Think it's more a case that you've never had a team in the PL so you think whatever players you got cut it.  

Talent is fine, thus he would have been a great rotation option. But while Deano is building a young team for the PL we need some instant quality with experience to keep us out of the relegation fight, and this isn't it. Just like you can get in too many foreigners and experience what we did in 2015, you can get in too many young players and experience much the same. 

I think it's cool Deano is willing to go the youth route, but it's his job not mine, and I think this is a mistake if he's signed as a starter. 

Fair point.

But we can not attract/finance experienced PL players. So the choice is do we go for older PL players ...possibly on big wages...or go for promising players that lack experience.

A lot of these youngsters will know this could be there only shot at being a PL player.....and should the worst happen they will either stick around or we recoup the fee 

Look at some of the lambert sides that survived in the PL - I think we will be ok

• Like 3

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

Are you guys after Gallagher like the above tweet suggests? Could free up Maupay for us 

Just press talk and tittle tattle at the moment, but who knows, this transfer window is suddenly picking up speed for every club, we have just signed Mathias Jensen from Celta Vigo today, that makes 5 new signings for us so far this window, and I don't think we have stopped.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Gallagher just doesn't feel like a Brentford type signing. Although I'd have said the same about Pontus.

That’s because they haven’t got our Deano putting them right anymore. 

42 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Really like the look of Skov. Hope we are looking at him. But where has the talk come from?

Boredom and the thirst for more new signings ... no links just suggested earlier by @Wezbid and back in April by @Villan4Life looks a very good prospect though and better YouTube compilation highlights than Trezeguet .... #signSkov 

2 hours ago, wilko154 said:

If Konsa is level with Tuanzebe and only costing us 12 Million he could become the bargain of the season!

I don’t know enough about him other than Jonjon’s comments and him having a poor U21 tournament (but everyone did under boothroyd). I suspect most are ignorant as to just how good Axel was, not sure even Man U know!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jonjon said:

🤣 Not yet, but when the finished article he will be worth a lot more than 20m, just hope we have a large sell on clause, we usually do!

Somehow I doubt there will be a sell on clause when you've just earnt a whopping 10m for 12 months graft. I think any add on's would be appearance related or international for instance.  I'm not even sure if there is a minimum release clause you can throw in add on's just like that, as it can possibly determine a follow on sale anyway erasing the point of the release clause if the purchasing club see it as a piss take. As the negotiating player your not going to allow your current club to take the piss and shackle you in the future. Especially if you haven't come through the academy setup so don't have the affinity of some players. Personally I always saw sell on profitability clauses for low end sales and based on high end profit(McGinn for example, not yet though), not when your talking multi million pound deals. 

I'm not saying it is not the case in this instance but I would be very surprised if Brentford have as much leverage as you think with this one.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I don’t know enough about him other than Jonjon’s comments and him having a poor U21 tournament (but everyone did under boothroyd). I suspect most are ignorant as to just how good Axel was, not sure even Man U know!

He played 40mins in a dead rubber. He may well have been dreadful in that game as I didn’t see it but anyway there it is.

For me with Axel not an option then hopefully Ezri is the next best thing. Looks a very similar player quick with good feet. Unfortunately by all accounts similar weaknesses in the air. Axel improved on that through the season so hopefully Ezri can too. 

1 hour ago, Villan4Life said:

Yes, he's better than Trezeguet

In fairness to Trezeguet, he is very direct which is always an asset as an impact sub for shaking things up which is a contrast to our current style, not convinced about his team play or goals but probably worth a punt. Can’t be worse for us than Adama?

Edited by thunderball

16 minutes ago, jonjon said:

that makes 5 new signings for us so far this window, and I don't think we have stopped.

One to replace every player we seem to be (rumoured to ) buying from you  :)

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/9480053/prem-sheff-utd-aston-villa-coventry-tom-bayliss/?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=sunfootballtwitter&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1562777038

SHEFFIELD UNITED have joined the race for Coventry's sought-after starlet Tom Bayliss.

Bayliss, 20, has been a stand-out performer for the Sky Blues after establishing himself in Mark Robins' midfield.

And such impressive displays mean the League One club are in a battle to keep hold of him this summer.

Sheffield United have registered an interest in Bayliss as Chris Wilderprepares his squad for their return to the Premier League.

But the Blades face competition from fellow Prem new boys Aston Villa.

Bayliss, a skilful midfielder who has been with Coventry since the age of 12, is also wanted by West Brom.

The youngster has already made more than 60 appearances for the Sky Blues, despite only turning 20 in April.Robins kept Bayliss in the team after his stunning debut against Cheltenham Town in December 2017, in which he scored.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

One to replace every player we seem to be (rumoured to ) buying from you  :)

I can see you getting Konsa & Maupay, but am surprised there are no rumours linking Dean Smith and Rico Henry, unless someone wants to start one😉

1 minute ago, AshVilla said:

I think Maupay will thrive in the prem.

He has that drive and petulance about him to beat defenders.

Not sure how petulance will help him beat defenders.   😐

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, avfc1982am said:

I'm not picking on your post just highlighting a point that needs reiterating.

We've spent upwards of 20m on a CB risk, a CF risk at 22m, a RB risk at 5m...…. The reality is that every player represents a risk or 2. Does said player have the physical attributes, Mental and technical. If the club believe so then I'm fine with that tbh. 

We are in a situation whereby everything we do currently is a risk. You can mitigate the risk though by thinking long term in which case things move from a gamble to a well thought out strategy. I think we have done the latter and been very smart buying high quality youth to add to an already high spirited outfit. 

You can look at the worst case scenario...Us going down. Then look at the squad assembled as it currently is, we would not be down for 3 years that's for sure. I think we would bounce quick as we are not on a downhill trajectory as previous when we treaded water for several years before going down. We're in a good place and have a what appears to be a family all pulling together now as it should be, rather than a bunch of individuals.  

Personally I look at the squad and once Hogan has been shifted I cannot see anywhere that we have been too risky in the business we have done. Every player has great potential to return either on the pitch or on the clubs bank balance. 

I agree completely, every transfer is a risk. I guess I just feel with Konsa it's a bit more of step up for such a young guy to come in to the Premier League as a first team player in such an important season for us, but then if you are good enough you are old enough, it's all down to mentality then and Dean Smith should know as well as anyone if he is ready.

I think Dean Smith is a risk taker, he likes to play out from the back with a high line, in the play off final we left players up the pitch for the last 20 minutes, he puts his faith in youth rather than experience. It's brave management and I like it!