Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

8 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Well that's a subjective thing isn't it? And you are not even telling the full story.  What happened was that he was at a club that could develop him, a club that was well known for bringing young footballers into the PL, yet he decided with his family that instead of being loyal and thinking football, they wanted the money and signed his first professional contract with Arsenal. So he actually moved on from us at 16 with **** all compo. Players who value money over football, show no loyalty, is exactly what I hate about modern football. But like I said, subjective. 

I agree with your basic sentiment of dislike for money grabbing footballers, although we’d have a pretty slim and untalented squad if we took that particular moral high ground. However to argue he jumped ship purely for money is an unknown. Yes we’ve had a good academy over the years, but Arsenal’s is extremely highly regarded.

His sounds like a too much too young story. Then again, heaven only knows what sort of mess I’d have got into as a young professional footballer with more money than sense.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

They know plenty. People aren't very different from 16 and 30. Those who are snakes at 16 are snakes at 30. 

Anyway, each to their own. I just know I would never ever support him. 

It’s disappointing to read something like this but as you say. Each to their own. 

Sorry to sound patronising and I’m not sure how old you are but I guarantee that view of yours will change as you get older.

1 hour ago, John said:

We weren't good enough for him once and now he's not good enough for us. How does he feel about that I wonder?

From what I hear of Crowley and what he is like, his likely response would be to raise his arm where is diamond crusted watch is situated on his wrist, wiggle it around in the air and say......

Nah nah na nah nah.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

Seriously doubt that. What you think as 35 is probably something that will stick for a while. Except politics. Seems people get a tad more conservative every year, but that doesn't bode well for your arguement I think 😂

I actually hold the opposite view to you. When I was younger I thought people actually changed with age, but I just can't see that anymore. If you're a dick as a child you're most often a dick as a grown up. Same goes for the other end of the spectrum. 

1 minute ago, praisedmambo said:

This is nonsense. If you're anything the same as you are at 30 as you were at 16 I'd feel sorry for anyone who has to hang out with you.

Your personality traits are largely the same. You can change maturity on levels, but you most likely are who you are. That goes for pretty much everyone I've ever known. 

9 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Your personality traits are largely the same. You can change maturity on levels, but you most likely are who you are. That goes for pretty much everyone I've ever known. 

I work with a guy that I went to school with. He was a w@nker back then and now he's an even bigger w@nker! 

However, I've also met up with people from my teenage years that I worked with that were idiots back then but now much smarter and wiser now that they're patents and married.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Nah. It's nonsense. And you contradict yourself even within a sentence. Sure, you have traits that are on some level more or less consistent, but maturity levels change people beyond recognition. And there's more than one stage to it too—16, 24, 28, 32, 36, 40 and so on. Anyone who doesn't change and mature with age needs to open their mind a little bit, because if you really think you had it all worked out at 16 then you're a **** idiot!

EDIT: Nice, I like the Mohamed Ali quote.

Edited by praisedmambo
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Larscapaldi said:

According to my mate, who supports Hannover, we're linked with Waldemar Anton. Centre half and only 22. He reckons he's got a lot of talent but had a disastrous season. Then again, they got relegated so they probably all did anyway.

The article was in Bild but I can't see/link it as it's one you have to pay for.

Sounds like someone who needs a change of scenery.

5 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I work with a guy that I went to school with. He was a w@nker back then and now he's an even bigger w@nker! 

However, I've also met up with people from my teenage years that I worked with that were idiots back then but now much smarter and wiser now that they're patents and married.

Maybe @KenjiOgiwara more sees himself as the first type! 🤪

1 minute ago, praisedmambo said:

Nah. It's nonsense. And you contradict yourself even within a sentence. Sure, you have traits that are consistent, but your maturity levels change people beyond recognition. And there's more than one stage to it too—16, 24, 28, 32, 36, 40 and so on. Anyone who doesn't change and mature with age needs to open their mind a little bit, because if you really think you had it all worked out at 16 then you're a **** idiot!

No it's not. You are wrong. You are mixing core personality traits with maturity and adapting to social expectations. And if we go back to Dan Crowley he will always be a greedy prick who thinks he is above his station, who will never show any loyalty to this club whether he is 16 26 or 36. In my opinion. Now you may have a different opinion, and that's fine. If people want him to sign that's okey. Personally I think he'd be cancer to this club and exactly what we need to avoid. 

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

What a weird antagonism towards someone who moved when he was a teenager, that classic age when we always make flawless decisions and never guilty of mistakes. He left us to join a bigger club. Oh what a bastard :blink:

When most of us make mistakes as a teenager, I'd imagine it's often a spur of the moment thing, saying or doing something that you immediately regret. Or, within an hour or two, you probably regret it but stick by what you've done because you're a daft kid.

That's very different to a teenage footballer that has months and months to make a decision, with the support and guidance of parents, family, friends, players, managers, coaches and agents. Not to mention, they can compare their situation to that of other teenagers that have been in the same position.

That's very different to 95% of the mistakes that most teenagers make, so I think the comparison isn't really fair.

Even at the time, most people on VT said that he wouldn't get as much game-time for Arsenal, that our club would have been much better for his development (using the examples of our reserve players that developed into Prem players), obviously with our claret and blue specs on, but the points raised were probably mostly valid.

• Like 1

Of the recent links... 

Really not sure about Trezeguet, seems like another Traore to me, very rough needs of lots of coaching and we don't really have time to get him up to speed if we are going to hit the ground running.

Randolph is not really any better than Steer in my opinion, if we are going to sign another keeper I would hope it would be a significant upgrade rather then a side step.

FWIW I'm totally different now to how I was when I was 16, experience changes you rather than age I feel, well it should anyway.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Last year's team had exceptional chemistry. Mings' tweet below is another proof of it. Looks like he's still hoping Tammy would come back.

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, text and outdoor

I know Steer and Kalinic aren't all that , but suggesting Tammy comes and plays in goal for us is a bit harsh

• Haha 1