Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

14 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

were idiots back then but now much smarter and wiser now that they're patents and married.

Yes, but you can't copy that now

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rob182 said:

When most of us make mistakes as a teenager, I'd imagine it's often a spur of the moment thing, saying or doing something that you immediately regret. Or, within an hour or two, you probably regret it but stick by what you've done because you're a daft kid.

That's very different to a teenage footballer that has months and months to make a decision, with the support and guidance of parents, family, friends, players, managers, coaches and agents. Not to mention, they can compare their situation to that of other teenagers that have been in the same position.

That's very different to 95% of the mistakes that most teenagers make, so I think the comparison isn't really fair.

Even at the time, most people on VT said that he wouldn't get as much game-time for Arsenal, that our club would have been much better for his development (using the examples of our reserve players that developed into Prem players), obviously with our claret and blue specs on, but the points raised were probably mostly valid.

He's still 16 and subject in that example to loads of advice from all kinds of people. Arsenal weren't exactly shabby as a club then. I can't stand the pettiness of football fans these days. He made a decision, not out of hatred or rejection, but presumably because he genuinely thought that was better for him at that point.  How does anyone KNOW he would have thrived here? 

Even if it hasn't worked out in the way he hoped, I can't understand the mindset of fans who feel slighted by him. Seems a bit sad really.

9 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

No it's not. You are wrong. You are mixing core personality traits with maturity and adapting to social expectations. And if we go back to Dan Crowley he will always be a greedy prick who thinks he is above his station, who will never show any loyalty to this club whether he is 16 26 or 36. In my opinion. Now you may have a different opinion, and that's fine. If people want him to sign that's okey. Personally I think he'd be cancer to this club and exactly what we need to avoid. 

You said people are the same at 16 as they are at 30. That's what I was responding to.

It doesn't matter if that change is down to maturity in spite of their core personality traits. Traits can wax and wane through maturity. People can learn to be less selfish—not every trait is 'in their nature', a lot of traits can and have been learnt too. I get it that there are biological traits that are consistent, but they mature and develop in surprising ways. As I say, there are learnt traits too.

The second point—about Dan Crowley. You might be right, but you don't know that. If he has matured and sorted himself out, good luck to him. Sure, there's a possibility that he is  one of those people born a true dickhead. But, regardless, there's no way he's coming to Villa anyway.

Edited by praisedmambo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

A 17 year old kid taking a chance at a bigger club really isn’t anything to do with modern football nor it it a big deal.  Bet you didn’t have a problem when Barry joined us from Brighton.

I remember when arsenals youth team captain joined us because he thought he would have a better chance of breaking through here than he would there

maybe its not his decision to join arsenal that has prevented Crowley making it big...

10 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Last year's team had exceptional chemistry. Mings' tweet below is another proof of it. Looks like he's still hoping Tammy would come back.

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, text and outdoor

We’re getting the old band back together!!!

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Wtf is going on with the MOMS Twitter bust up with a Sky talking head. Can't tell if it's a running joke.

This is all about Rob Dorsett saying that villa fans were rioting when Bruce was appointed. The editor of MOMS, David, has a bee in his bonnet about the media telling lies and is taking a stand against sky sports by threatening legal action against them. He then wrote a 10 tweet response to everyone that was telling him to delete his tweet and get a life. I think that is called a double-down😂😂

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

Edit: the blame rests on Lerner.

I would go back a little further but that's a debate for another thread.

What I will say is, I have waited 20yrs to witness a transfer window like this with such a flurry of activity. It's fantastic to witness and be part of.

It's what football is all about.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

This is all about Rob Dorsett saying that villa fans were rioting when Bruce was appointed. The editor of MOMS, David, has a bee in his bonnet about the media telling lies and is taking a stand against sky sports by threatening legal action against them. He then wrote a 10 tweet response to everyone that was telling him to delete his tweet and get a life. I think that is called a double-down😂😂

I don't know what a double-down is, but David sounds like, oh what's it called... an idiot.

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I have waited 20yrs to witness a transfer window like this with such a flurry of activity. It's fantastic to witness and be part of.

Not just a flurry of activity - we've had that before, e.g. with Sherwood/RdM - but this time it seems like the right activity. Thought-out, rather than scattergun. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

We’re getting the old band back together!!!

I sat sipping a beer last night in the garden Dave and my mind wonders off into... how's Abraham getting on? Would it be possible?

My mind wonders further...  (bare with me here, I am not turning it into another Axel debate) what IF we did take Axel back as just a loan WITHOUT any clause? (Cus Man U won't let us)

- Bad business model yeah yeah I know. But as you say Dave  'A B6 boys reunion'.

Once we have Axel here we will be in a better position to go back next season and buy him outright and Axel might not even want to return knowing he is our 1st choice CB.

It would be wonderful if it all came off....

.. the beer was finished by that point and best I went to bed before anymore crazy ideas follow..

If only, ay....

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, sne said:

Harry Wilson linked now, going balls deep for the 18/19 Championship Dream Team :D 

I was thinking this morning, our transfer so far feels like a football manager 2019 youth challenge.....

I was lying in bed this morning wondering if I was actually living in the matrix...

8 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

He needs to walk it back at the risk of a full blown cancelling.

Edited by MrSmirch

14 minutes ago, Rodders said:

He's still 16 and subject in that example to loads of advice from all kinds of people. Arsenal weren't exactly shabby as a club then. I can't stand the pettiness of football fans these days. He made a decision, not out of hatred or rejection, but presumably because he genuinely thought that was better for him at that point.  How does anyone KNOW he would have thrived here? 

Even if it hasn't worked out in the way he hoped, I can't understand the mindset of fans who feel slighted by him. Seems a bit sad really.

And at the time even though we were producing good Youth Teams the first team were  a bit shite and the those promising Youth Players never really making it across the line.

We wasted that NextGen winning team. 

Jack was heading that way as well until he got roomed with Terry who got inside his head and showed him how to progress.  Not just about Talent but also mindset.

At Arsenal even though making the first team was remote the youth players get sent to half decent clubs on loan to make a name for themselves.

Though I didnt like it I can fully understand the decision. 

What would peeps prefer ... Saed Benrahma & Kalvin Phillips for a reported over £40mill or Say Skov/Trezeguet, Santamaria, Billings for arguments sake & someone like Bayliss for similar money or less. That’s the jigsaw Suso & Smith have to decide to piece together and it is no easy task. I know from the second lot Skov & Billings are my/others suggestions just using them to highlight we could get x4 players for the price of x2 and just wanted to see what others thought... 

Now onto as Dan Crowley as I have insider knowledge. I was working for OUFC when he was on loan and the club couldn’t wait to get rid and send him back. He was an arrogant lazy shit who thought he was better than everyone else (the fact was he actually was) none of the players took to him and I remember talking to Derek Fazackerley about him who said he was one of the best talents he had seen but wouldn’t apply himself and needed to grow up. He didn’t have disciplinary issues as such, he was just a young naive boy when he left us and when he was at OUFC. It wasn’t a good move for anyone. We knew what a talent he could be when he was poached by Arsenal and I don’t really blame him in many ways for leaving. He backed himself (obviously too much) to make a success of himself there. It didn’t work out as we all know but moving to Holland and thriving and developing has from the outside looks to have  made him grow up and realise that in order to fulfil his undoubted potential he needed to make changes to his attitude.. maybe leaving Home and England was/is the making of him . Jack had his share of issues but turned things around and many wanted him sold after the pavement pic .... Time Does change a person regardless of what Kenji says and I wouldn’t be opposed to resigning him if he has as it appears sorted his life out... 

Edited by thabucks
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Not just a flurry of activity - we've had that before, e.g. with Sherwood/RdM - but this time it seems like the right activity. Thought-out, rather than scattergun. 

Yes MJ, you are correct. It's building that is for all the right reasons is what I should have said. That excited I didn't know how to get the words out.  :D

We are building with bricks and mortar rather than lego and play doh.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jonjon said:

That's not going to happen, we don't do loans, as far as I can remember Dean Smith and our DOF's stopped doing them about 2-3 seasons ago, and I think Villa want to go down the same route, why nurture and develop another teams players at the expense of your own.

I think this is pretty a pretty short sighted approach for teams who are either trying to get promoted or are not confident of staying in the Championship. Loans are an ideal strategy when you don't know what league you'll be in next season. You can bring in a premier league quality player without a significant fee and without being bound to a high wage contract for four or five years. Mings and Tuanzebe are perfect examples. Who cares if we nurtured and developed them - they got us into the Premier League with no risk and at low cost. I'd sooner we did that than take the Tony Xia approach and nearly break FFP rules as we did the seasons before.

The fact that Brentford won't take that approach suggests they're happy with their lot and more focused on making profits on their players. Dean Smith seemed more than happy to loan players for us in January and its paid off in spades.

1 hour ago, Larscapaldi said:

According to my mate, who supports Hannover, we're linked with Waldemar Anton. Centre half and only 22. He reckons he's got a lot of talent but had a disastrous season. Then again, they got relegated so they probably all did anyway.

The article was in Bild but I can't see/link it as it's one you have to pay for.

Here you go .... 

https://tbrfootball.com/aston-villa-reportedly-interested-in-german-under-21-defender-waldemar-anton/

Aston Villa are reportedly interested in the signature of German under-21 international Waldemar Anton, according to reports. 

The 22-year-old Hannover centre-back is coming off the back of a difficult campaign with his club side. The Uzbekistani-born youngster captained Hannover for much of the season but lost the captaincy in October. Hannover finished second from bottom in the Bundesliga and were relegated to the German second-tier. 

Despite his poor season, Anton is still highly rated. With relegation in mind, Anton has been linked with a number of clubs this summer. Aston Villa are now, seemingly, one of them. 

As reported by Bild, Aston Villa have ‘put feelers out’ on a potential deal for the player. Eintracht Frankfurt and Lille are also interested, with a potential €10 million (£9 million) transfer fee reported. 

Yes I Know tribal football is a wholly unreliable clickbait aggregator of a site just thought I’d share it .... 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

I think this is pretty a pretty short sighted approach for teams who are either trying to get promoted or are not confident of staying in the Championship. Loans are an ideal strategy when you don't know what league you'll be in next season. You can bring in a premier league quality player without a significant fee and without being bound to a high wage contract for four or five years. Mings and Tuanzebe are perfect examples. Who cares if we nurtured and developed them - they got us into the Premier League with no risk and at low cost. I'd sooner we did that than take the Tony Xia approach and nearly break FFP rules as we did the seasons before.

The fact that Brentford won't take that approach suggests they're happy with their lot and more focused on making profits on their players. Dean Smith seemed more than happy to loan players for us in January and its paid off in spades.

Every club is run differently, no point in bum fighting over who has the best policies.

Let's not forget we can't get on our high horses, we nearly went out of existence 12 months ago due to incompetent management of our club.