Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

14 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Enter Cahill. Short term, reliable defender who konsa can learn off and rotate with as and when. By the time Cahill leaves konsa should be ready to step up. 

I'd be up for that.

One thing regarding Cahill, is that I've seen a lot of people suggest signing him on a 1-year deal, but I can't see that happening. Cahill will surely have offers of 2-3 year contracts from Prem Teams, so I can't see him accepting a 1-year deal.

When we do the hypothetical "Would you sign Cahill?" questions, it needs to be, "Would you sign Cahill (on a 2-year deal)?"

FWIW. I would. I know he doesn't fit our 'model', but there's nothing wrong with a bit of age and experience in the squad. Especially in the GK and defence positions.

Cahill, Mings, Konsa and Chester would be a good mix of experience and potential, in my opinion.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Don't the players fly off to the US tomorrow? I'd have thought that a lot more would have been sorted for him to 'potentially' be on the plane tomorrow.

I would have thought so too. Depends how far along the transfer is. From the sounds of it, it is quite far along.

Even if he did miss the "team flight", they would certainly fly him out there later in the week/weekend by himself to join up with the squad. Every day with Mings and the Squad will be vital.

1 minute ago, Rob182 said:

I'd be up for that.

One thing regarding Cahill, is that I've seen a lot of people suggest signing him on a 1-year deal, but I can't see that happening. Cahill will surely have offers of 2-3 year contracts from Prem Teams, so I can't see him accepting a 1-year deal.

When we do the hypothetical "Would you sign Cahill?" questions, it needs to be, "Would you sign Cahill (on a 2-year deal)?"

FWIW. I would. I know he doesn't fit our 'model', but there's nothing wrong with a bit of age and experience in the squad. Especially in the GK and defence positions.

Cahill, Mings, Konsa and Chester would be a good mix of experience and potential, in my opinion.

Sylvin distin was a first team regular for Everton in his mid 30s. Don't see why Cahill can't do a job for a year or 2.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Great to hear.

A lot of people seem to be hoping we'll be after another CB even if this happens, but I think it's more likely Chester starts this season first choice I expect Konsa to get minutes in cup games and as and when Chester can't play too many games in a short period. If he shows the enough improvement over the year I could see him ending the season as first choice with Mings.

Can't agree mate. Konsa is signed to play. A fit Chester pushes him but Konsa, if signed, will start.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Konsa is a great signing for you and good business for us and hopefully keeps Maupay and Benrahma at the club a bit longer.Konsa is class on the ball only negative is his arial play needs work but think he will improve in the PL

When Brentford pissed goals for a while after Smith left last season what was that ? Mepham, Konsa, a collective ? Seemed to concede some silly goals.

1 minute ago, Johnnyp said:

Can't agree mate. Konsa is signed to play. A fit Chester pushes him but Konsa, if signed, will start.

Dean Smith obviously knows what he’s all about and I’m certain he will be a starter.

2 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I don't necessarily disagree, but I don't think it's a "first choice" scenario. I think the aim will be the two of them to provide genuine competition.

I'm sure we'd like this in every position, but I can't see there being any debate over who is 1st choice for the left CB.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Konsa is a great signing for you and good business for us and hopefully keeps Maupay and Benrahma at the club a bit longer.Konsa is class on the ball only negative is his arial play needs work but think he will improve in the PL

Heading is a pretty big part of any Centre Back's game, no?

Just now, Lerner's Driver said:

Absolutely, although coincidentally it was probably the weakest part of Tuanzebe's game too.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Johnnyp said:

When Brentford pissed goals for a while after Smith left last season what was that ? Mepham, Konsa, a collective ? Seemed to concede some silly goals.

Chief culprit was Bentley in goal not helped by Mepham and his expected move to Bournmouth Barbet and Jeanvier were in poor form so not ideal for a young central defender in his first season in the championship.we then went to 3 centre backs and this had a positive effect and we saw the best of Konsa.We have just signed 2 6’4” central defenders but sure Konsa would have been the 3 rd starter next season if he had stayed.

Just now, BOF said:

Absolutely, although coincidentally it was probably the weakest part of Tuanzebe's game too.

I really do think he'll have a top class career, but seeing him and Hause consistently ducking high balls used to drive me mad. It wouldn't have wound me up if either had at least tried to jump for one or two!

Just now, BOF said:

True. Although, I think his all round game improved the longer he played, so hopefully the same will be true for this new chap.

Thinking back though, we were caught out quite a lot last year from headed goals at corners and free kicks. West Brom in the away leg being just one example.

28 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Cause everyone who has watched more than 5 minutes of the championship knows that Tuanzebe is a better player. 

Why don’t you get a job as a scout as you obviously think you know better than ours 😂

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1

Just now, Lerner's Driver said:

True. Although, I think his all round game improved the longer he played, so hopefully the same will be true for this new chap.

Thinking back though, we were caught out quite a lot last year from headed goals at corners and free kicks. West Brom in the away leg being just one example.

We were dreadful.  We'll be absolutely crucified in the Premier League if we're that bad again.  But the coaching staff will know that too, so I'm not concerned that they won't try to address it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Of course but I’m talking about his timing of when to attack the ball which is something he will improve he’s still very young and Dean Smith knows all about that side of the game

• Like 1

Safe to say this isn't a Villa scouting department signing. This smells Deano a mile off. 

As backup this would be perfect sense. As first choice it's insanity. But Deano's choice. His job. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Safe to say this isn't a Villa scouting department signing. This smells Deano a mile off 

Based on what ... your opinion only ?! Please give us more insight as I’m intrigued... 

Edited by thabucks